The "I'm amazed at how terrible this is" thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is just so icky that I had to make a new thread to introduce it. It certainly couldn't fit in the "Worst/Creepiest Puppetry" thread as crappy puppets would be an improvement.

But here's the first inductee. Popeye and Pals, a local TV kid's show.

That is just the most anemic kid's show of all time. Clearly at the tail end of the relevance (possibly even further) of the local Kiddy TV Hosts (which I'm sure older members will recognize from Bozo the Clown, and younger ones only from parody like Krusty and Uncle Nutsy's Funhouse from UHF...maybe even Patchy the Pirate from Spongebob if you're really young), this one doesn't even bother trying to get a costumed actor in and seemingly picks a Popeyes employee out of the backroom. So yeah. No actor attempting a Popeye accent or costume (come on... Popeye has an easy to imitate voice). Not even a generic Sea Captain. A chubby 40 year old woman (seemingly pointing to her arm fat with a microphone...yeah, that comment was mine) with no interest in being there tenth #^^edly interviewing kids too engrossed in the free Popeyes to even care. Well, to be fair, Popeyes is pretty good (even though I had a really bad incident several years back at a reststop in Maine location).

The only interesting thing in the "clubhouse" are painted wooden standees of Popeye characters and the fact they give out unlicensed cartoon character cakes from a local bakery as a "grand prize" and coupons for more Popeyes meals... you see back in the 80's they actually had Popeye associated with the chain even though that's Not the Popeye the place is named after.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now that's a real bottom of the chicken bucket local kids' show. Blatant advertisements for fast food, cakes that the Cake Wrecks website would have a field day on, disinterested kids, and a bland host who looks like a young Conchata Ferrell. Should be a fitting candidate on TV Tropes' "So Bad It's Horrible" page.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, I'll defend the cakes. They're certainly a lot nicer than the Super Market cookies which are just piles of Frosting that look like Cookie Monster. The Snoopy looked good. And they do make me nostalgic for the lost art of airbrushed art cakes. Now you have that edible art thing that's just stock photos printed out. There's no love in that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Eh, I'll defend the cakes. They're certainly a lot nicer than the Super Market cookies which are just piles of Frosting that look like Cookie Monster. The Snoopy looked good. And they do make me nostalgic for the lost art of airbrushed art cakes. Now you have that edible art thing that's just stock photos printed out. There's no love in that.
That and CCC's (cupcake cakes). Those never look right.
http://cakewrecks.squarespace.com/home/2008/9/16/cupcake-cakes-always-wrecktastic-always.html

Anyway, might as well contribute something else terrible to this thread. Here's L.A. rap-pop group Imperial Stars performing their "hit" "Traffic Jam 101" on the busy U.S. Highway 101 without permission from any authority group. But hey, it's all for the sake of homeless children, right? Man, the only thing more enormous than their popularity are their egos, and that is a great deal more enormous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I posted this too soon. There's another clip!

Dear FROG! Okay... uh.. I thought that pointing to her forearm with her mike was a one time thing... so... she does it in every episode.

Yeah... Words fail me on that one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, having seen The Cinema Snob review Wired, it makes me feel a trillion times more thankful that the weirdo Jim Henson biopic never got funding.

I just found out about it on the "So Bad it's Horrible" page on TVTropes (I check once a week to see them add new movies to the list), and here's the trailer since I'm not going to post the review here.

Just... really could have seen the Henson biopic turning out like that, but even more crass. Shudder.

Though I will agree that Michael did a good job in the sequences shown in that review. He also did a good job as Curly in the actually not that bad Three Stooges biopic (probably at least better than the Farrley brothers Stooge movie). Seems some of this movie is hilariously bad in some aspects (the parody named expy celebrities have a delightful Jackie Jormpjomp quality to them and wonder if there's a longer cut with Fordy Pursuit, Jayne Venitianblinds, and Mill Burray). Another thing I agree with, though, some of the stuff meant to be funny or artistically ironic are plain so bad it's freaking terrible it is. The weird Samurai sketch reference during the autopsy... was that supposed to be funny or some weird irony because the skit was considered racist? What?!

I guess we're lucky we don't have a Chris Farrely biopic featuring his struggles with Bill Primalstate all the while dying during the production of Sleeplabors's Snrock film. AWW! This movie's so horrible I'm making Bland Name puns.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Thanks to the Bad Webcomics Wiki, I have discovered an amazingly bloated and convoluted cartoon crossover called the Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi. And I agree with just about everything those guys said about it.

Maybe not truly awful, but PPGD is almost laughably bad in terms of its insanity in crossing over The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab with other Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon characters (and a few original ones) while trying to make a deep, serious story about it. Things really start to go off the rails when it is revealed that (spoiler for those who care) . Oh, and Gir has somehow turned into Wreck-Gar with all his non-sequitur spouting of pop culture phrases (Wreck-Gir?).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe not truly awful, but PPGD is almost laughably bad in terms of its insanity in crossing over The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab with other Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon characters (and a few original ones) while trying to make a deep, serious story about it. Things really start to go off the rails when it is revealed that (spoiler for those who care) . Oh, and Gir has somehow turned into Wreck-Gar with all his non-sequitur spouting of pop culture phrases (Wreck-Gir?).
Well, considering I invested 24 big ones (not counting the better done side stories) on IDW's first CN crossover and was hugely disappointed in it, I'm trying to see the awful in this. I mean, it wasn't bad, but the writers were barely familiar with the characters. Except for the Eds. It was literally like they never saw a freaking Ed, Edd, n' Eddy cartoon before and only knew that Ed liked buttered toast (no gravy, though). The PPG Smash Up crossover was done much better, though the ending seems rushed and cut off at 5 issues instead of 6. But as for the fan fic... seriously it does sound bad genuinely, but a lot of that just feels like I'm too desensitized by terrible fan arts and "Pooh's Adventures of" crap to really feel an impact. The art's pretty nice for what it is, though.

Now, I brought this up in the "I'm the Only One" thread, but I really think it belongs here. FIFA's completely idiotic and self congratulatory manipulative piece seemingly released to coincide with their scandals breaking out (but was apparently in development for a year or so before...just in case).

Ah, it's like a terrible Moneyball wannabe. Only if Moneyball was supposed to be propaganda for MLB and released during the steroid scandal and made the players who got caught into flawless American Heroes and gods in their own right.

mr3urious

Reaction score
But as for the fan fic... seriously it does sound bad genuinely, but a lot of that just feels like I'm too desensitized by terrible fan arts and "Pooh's Adventures of" crap to really feel an impact. The art's pretty nice for what it is, though.
I'll agree that the artwork did improve past the first couple of chapters once Bleedman stopped abusing all those Photoshop filters and drawing all the characters with massive feet and tiny torsos.

Drtooth said:
Ah, it's like a terrible Moneyball wannabe. Only if Moneyball was supposed to be propaganda for MLB and released during the steroid scandal and made the players who got caught into flawless American Heroes and gods in their own right.
I smell a Razzie nomination!