The joy of pirated games

mr3urious

Reaction score
Pirated games and consoles that are all too commonly available in third-world countries have always intrigued me with their severe violation of copyright laws and their attempt to port games to lesser-known hardware. Case in point: Somari for the NES. Before those Mario & Sonic olympic games and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there was this. :big_grin:

The same company also made Kart Fighter, which is Super Mario Kart turned into a fighting game. The same engine used for this game would get recycled for every other fighting game they would come out with.

Also, does anyone remember the Power Player Super Joy III? It was pretty much a Nintendo 64 controller with a non-working analog stick with thousands of NES games built in (actually just a couple of games repeated several times with slight variations among them). It was somehow sold at mall kiosks all across America, and the guy who was responsible for distributing them was eventually caught and had to confess to his crime in magazines nationwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Player_Super_Joy_III

Slackbot

Reaction score
I was amazed when I saw the obviously pirated game consoles on sale at mall kiosks. And that those prices--I got mine online for a third the price.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And here we have Christopher Walken not having very much luck at a hacked version of Super Mario Bros.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was amazed when I saw the obviously pirated game consoles on sale at mall kiosks. And that those prices--I got mine online for a third the price.
The funny thing about those is that they have real games in them under unrelated licensed names. I tried one of them once, finding a WWF game (didn't take the care to realize they haven't called themselves that since the 80's) was actually the original Japanese Kinnikuman Tag Team match game for the NES. It had the bar of the original theme song and Brocken Jr. in tact.

Can't remember what the rest of them where, though. Supposedly they just short out after playing them a few times.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Hey guys! Have you ever wanted to play as Mario in Street Fighter? Well, now you can! :big_grin:

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Pirated stuff in general is very fascinating. It's fun looking at all the stuff it gets wrong in design.

Look at this: Mario and Luigi's heads are replaced by Princess Peach's head!

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Also, without pirated games. We wouldn't have a Mario and Sonic crossover ROM hack on a Chip & Dale game:

That Tails/Sonic hybrid thing is incredibly disturbing.

AquaGGR

Reaction score

...and here's Super Mario 15, which replaces Mario with a disturbing looking Sonic.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Pirated stuff in general is very fascinating. It's fun looking at all the stuff it gets wrong in design.

Look at this: Mario and Luigi's heads are replaced by Princess Peach's head!
Boy, Peach sure let herself go all these years! :smile: