The Land of Gorch

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I just registered and I'm looking forward to interacting with my fellow Muppet fans, but I do have one pressing matter to ask about first.

Does anybody remember the Muppet sketches that used to be on "Saturday Night Live?" I think this was probably sometime in the 1970s, though I can't be sure since my memories of them are so hazy. I think I may have tried to block them out because the characters were kind of creepy and disturbing to my young mind! I think they were meant more for adults since I seem to recall one of the female characters actually having breasts. All the names were strange and sounded "bad" to me, like "gleeps" or "blorps" or something like that. And I think there was a stone statue kind of thing that imparted wisdom, in what I now believe was the voice of Frank Oz. Does anybody remember this?

Again, this is a very shallow memory and I only recently "uncovered" it while remembering something else from that period of my childhood. As such, I have a sudden fascination with it and I'd like to see it again. Kind of like how you want to go back to visit the spooky old house in your old neighborhood that used to frighten you as a child, if only to see what was so ****** scary about it in the first place! I honestly wouldn't know where else to look for information about this (or really how to describe it), so I figured I'd sign up here and ask around. For what it's worth, I'm a huge Muppet/Henson fan and first generation Sesame Street kid, so it's probably long overdue that I signed up here.

Anyway, thanks for reading over the shattered fragments of my memory and let me know if anyone can fill in some of the blanks!

muppet_dk

Reaction score
You can read more about The Land of Gorch here

The Land of Gourch sketches are included on the Saturday Night Live season one box set.

Reaction score
Okay, since that was my first post, it looks like the moderator changed the title of my post from "Are those old Muppet SNL sketches on DVD" to "The Land of Gorch" -- which I'm assuming is the title of those very segments. Believe me, if I actually knew the title myself, I wouldn't have embarrassed myself by asking what I did! :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway, armed with this newfound info, I'll search around the 'net and see what I can find. Although if anyone else feels like chiming in on the subject, I'm more than happy to hear your own memories of this twisted Muppet creation from years gone by.

Off I go to Google...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah... Thought someone else would've posted after the thread became visible to all.

Head on to the Muppet Wiki at muppet.wikia.com instead and search for The Land of Gorch there. The statue character you asked about is named The Mighty Favog, voiced/performed by Frank Oz.
You can ask around for people who can help you get the sketches on DVD or buy the SNL Season 1 set which has the majority of them therein.

Hope this helps and welcome to Muppet Central. :batty: :wisdom:

Reaction score
Hi Count, thanks for the welcome!

I've since read the Wiki entry and found the whole affair quite fascinating (yet mercifully less disturbing than it was in my youth). It's amazing how something like that could leave such an indellible impression in my young mind. I think my memory of the "blorps" sound mentioned above is likely how I remember hearing the word "Gorch." And yes, the Mighty Favog! That name came back to me, too, after seeing it in print! I'll definitely be purchasing that SNL season 1 set to acquire these, to keep my Muppet DVD collection complete. I think I have everything issued thus far, and this will be a welcome addition.

Thanks again for the welcome, I'll poke around and see what and where else I can contribute. :smirk:

ploobis

Reaction score
I love the Gorch sketches!

I love Ploobis, Scred and The Mighty Favog!

Does anybody have a favorite Gorch sketch?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think my favorite Gorch sketch is when Scred and Ploobis "hit the sauce."

"Scred, do you know why I drink? It's because I hate myself."

"Oh! That's why I drink. I hate you too!"

ploobis

Reaction score
Yeah, That's a Classic!

PEUTA: "You're still drunk!"

PLOOBIS: "And you're still ugly, We're even"

I also love Peuta's darts, Wiss The Crater Head, Ploobis' Headache, Gorch goes broke and the Gligs.