The late Carol Bolt, writer of Episode 15, "I Don't Care"

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I LOVED this script! It's full of great scenes and juxtapositions (a chief element of FR, drawing ties between the different characters and worlds, something that Jerry Juhl did LOTS of).

The Hall of Justice scene, the Trash Heap scene, Boober's "no deposit, no return" magic chant, Boober shutting up Red- all priceless hilarious moments IMO.

There were the constant juxtapositions in the first intercut scene at the entrance to outer space/Doc's workshop, plus one juxtaposition I didn't catch until one morning when I happened to think of it (and had seen the episode three times by that point): Doc's love of crossword puzzles and Marjory doing a crossword puzzle in her scene (again with the reinforcement, drawing ties between different characters in different worlds, which helped realize the central theme of the show).

Finally there was emotion, in Boober's exclamation "why not let Boober be the doormat?!", in Wembley's "we care, don't we?", and of course in Boober's tantrumlike destroying of Doozer constructions ending with him accidentally hurting Wembley.

Bolt was a playwright by trade, and later on did some writing on some (presumably Canadian) children's shows including one called "Raccoons" (with one of the other FR writers, tho offhand I can't remember which one).

I wonder why she only wrote the one episode- she was so good at it that it boggles my mind they wouldn't have used her again subsequently. She did great work in that one episode, tho, and IMO it stands as a great episode and a fine standard of FR writing that's up there with Jerry Juhl's best FR scripts.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Xela

Reaction score
Ahh! :concern:

I LOVED that episode! I think I've seen that one the most since I got the box set. :big_grin:

"No deposit, no return"...heh heh.

About this Carol Bolt person though...I don't know why she only wrote one episode. That seems kind of weird...

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Bolt was a playwright by trade, and later on did some writing on some (presumably Canadian) children's shows including one called "Raccoons" (with one of the other FR writers, tho offhand I can't remember which one).
Just thought I'd add, Raccoons was an awesome show.

But yeah, that episode was really cute. I didn't even notice all the connections until you mentioned some of them.