1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Letter People

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikebennidict, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Never made the connection that was you. Might I just add, I love your loose, almost 1960's retro style (for lack of a better description).

2. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

There definitely is a mid century modern influence in my artstyle, though over time I have combined it with other things and now it's this sort of mishmash of that and other cartooning styles. Mostly the 60s stuff, though. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with how it's turned out, and it's real nice to hear you enjoy it! Your art is always a joy to see as well, lot of witty and fun crossover/parody/injoke stuff, you emulate the styles of other cartoons/anime very well. :D

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Might as well hawk myself too, here's my first and only attempt at Letter People art:

http://simanettefan.deviantart.com/art/Miss-Opposite-527812705

While I'll agree with Drtooth that Miss O's Optimistic Optimist song does have rather obnoxious lyrics to it, I at least find the melody to the song enjoyable with it's obvious 70s underscoring. But yes, the Obstinate song is superior in general.

4. Bliffenstimmers

It was Snowth's drawing that actually gave me the drive to get involved with The Letter People show. Also, it took me til just now to realize that was his dA, so thanks for all of that... I knew something looked familiar...

Slowly I'm working on the next 5. Already have B finished.

5. Drtooth

Plus, it's just a better character personality. Optimistic characters only work if they're so optimistic that it boarders on insanity and gets others in trouble. Like Eek the Cat. Or even as commentary on something like Kafka in Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei... which you probably never heard of, but her overly optimistic viewpoints are used as satire and a counterpoint for the main character's extreme pessimist viewpoint.

On that note, here's the only other Letter People bit I did, in case anyone's wondering...

[​IMG]

You all remember Histeria!, right?

6. D'Snowth

Yes, and we all remember Gary Busey.

7. mostlikemokey

mostlikemokey Active Member

They did look different than the videos we were shown...

8. D'Snowth

Yeah, they updated/modernized the Letter People in recent years: half of people are consonants and the other half are vowels instead of just the male Letter People being consonants and thefemale being vowels, and their personalities are a lot more P.C.: Mr. H now has "happy hair" instead of "horrible hair", Mr. D does "dazzling dances" instead of making "delicious doughnuts", Mr. J and his jumbled junk are not Miss J and her jingle jacket.

9. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

What I liked about the original LP was when the Letter Boys were introduced, they were in different categories. Like Mr. M, T, F, H, and N represented body parts. Mr. B, Z, P, S and V represented clothing. Mr. L, D, G, and C represented food. Mr, K, W, and Y represented verbs. Mr. J and R represented things you carry around. And Mr. X and Q were letter boys who needed special help making their sounds. While the Letter Girls represented random things.

Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  10. Bliffenstimmers

Not much updates on my drawing series, but I figure I should bring this up:

"Letter People Media," who seems to be taking care of distribution of the 70s style Letter People tools (DVDs of the show, CDs of the album, and practically everything from the original school kit except for tchotchkes like the inflatables) is now supposedly in the works on a Letter People reboot for YouTube, featuring replicas of the PBS puppets (including a slightly less ugly Ms. A and a Mr. M with arm rods) and somewhat off kilter impersonation voices, judging from this trailer.

11. Drtooth

Looks alright, I guess. Mr. M somehow sounds like an impersonation of Teddy from Bob's Burgers.

12. D'Snowth

Those honestly look like puppets I would have built. :smirk:

13. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I also like the lispy Mad Hatter-esque voice that Mister D was provided with in the show. Seems more fitting for a dude downright deranged delivering his deep-fried delights like a drug dealer. :D

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  14. Bliffenstimmers

Here it is, the first episode of the new "Letter People Land".
    Like the original, we start with Mr. M, who's preparing yet another trip to the market on a Monday.
    As corny a start as the 70s series, more or less. Though I wonder how they're gonna squeeze in the "CAPITAL/lowercase" concept into the series. Every Letter Person intro episode from the original series had a demonstration of it somewhere in there.
    There's a brief cameo from another Letter Person at the very end...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  15. Drtooth

They really seem to have got it down in essence. Seems that whoever's puppeteering Mr. M is trying to get the same movements down, but somehow it doesn't quite work as Mr. M looks much smaller this time, and the original one was much larger and unwieldy. Other than that, it does seem like an earlier Letter People skit.

I got a strange observation, though. The stock footage of Mayo is clearly from Spongebob. Same font and flowers and everything.

16. D'Snowth

Oh wow, what glorious lip-syncing.

17. Bliffenstimmers

Mo Frackle and D'Snowth like this.
  18. D'Snowth

I like how you added the subtle little snot stain on Miss A's hanky.

Mo Frackle likes this.
  19. Bliffenstimmers

To draw her actually sneezing would have been came out a little awkward for me, so it was a clever little substitute. Glad you enjoyed it!

20. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

The new Mr. M episode was quite interesting. Even though Mr. M doesn't have moveable fingers anymore like in the original series. And that Muffin reminds me of another talking muffin I once saw on Sesame Street. And the new Mr. C looks more cooler.