"The Magic Triangle"?

shtick

Reaction score
I've heard of and read about Don Sahlin and Jim Henson's "Magic Triangle" regarding the placement of eyes and nose on a puppet's head.

Does anyone know anything about the technical aspect of "The Magic Triangle" as far as measurments or anything else is concerned? Did they ever document this technique/concept in any way?

:rolleyes:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't think there are any specific measurements involved in the "magic triangle" and to my knowledge there is not a lot of "technical" documentation available anywhere. The term is meant to describe the concept that the personality of a character's face can be esthablished by the positioning of the eyes in relation to the nose.

It's an art/design concept, much like the rule of thirds (things tend to look better in multiples of three) or the golden proportion. Just experiment by drawing eyes and a nose on some paper and see what you come up with.

Jinx

Reaction score
I agree with Buck in that "The Magic Triangle" appears to be far less a "technical" issue and more of an "aesthetic" one.

For me there are essentially two issues. One, as Buck mentioned, is the relationship of the two eyes and nose. Their placement on a puppet's face can imply many diferent aspects of a character, from age to intelligence, etc.

The second aspect, which would seem obvious but I'm amazed at how often it is neglected, is that all three items, both of the eyes and the nose, are pointed at the same place. Usually this is a point in space about 18-24" in front of the puppet's face. This gives the puppet a very definite focus, which of course is an essential quality.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely done by "eyeballing" rather than measuring.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Jinx said:
The second aspect, which would seem obvious but I'm amazed at how often it is neglected, is that all three items, both of the eyes and the nose, are pointed at the same place. Usually this is a point in space about 18-24" in front of the puppet's face. This gives the puppet a very definite focus, which of course is an essential quality.
Thanks, yeah this is important isn't it? I should have mentioned that.

practicecactus

Reaction score
I've of heard of something (I think) referred to as The Golden Triangle.
Which is supposed to be the perfect positioning of a person's eyes, and nose,and how the way they were located in relation to the face etc, making them as beautiful as you can get.
I remember seeing this on tv, and they pointed out some celebrities, who had this near perfect face thing.
..but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so ..whatever.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Yes that was a documentary with John Cleese about the perfect human face. The examples named were Tom Cruise and Elizabuth Hurley if I'm correct. It had to do with Leonardo Da Vinci's studies on human proportions. I believe it's called 'The Golden Ratio'.

This is probably the information you're looking for:
link
edit#1: It's actually not what you are looking for :stick_out_tongue: But it's still good advice.
edit#2: here's more on the human face