The Metric Song

bkeller

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a song about the Metric System? I think the words went something like "A liter, what's that? It's a little more than a quart. Something, someting, so please don't well it short." I can't remember the rest or what show it was on. Think it was Sesame Street, early 80s.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can't edit it yourself, LMK and I can fix it for you.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Are you sure that was a Sesame Street song, and that it played on the US version of the show? I never remember measurements being discussed in more than very general terms: people might have mentioned pounds and quarts, but not taught how much a particular unit was.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... There is the song "The Measuring Song" sung by Phoebe Kates, Kevin Kline, and my namesake. There's also a song called "The Scale Song", but it's lyrics at the Sesame Street Archive are currently incomplete.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Well... There is the song "The Measuring Song" sung by Phoebe Kates, Kevin Kline, and my namesake. There's also a song called "The Scale Song", but it's lyrics at the Sesame Street Archive are currently incomplete.
I've heard both songs and recall much of the lyrics to both. Still, neither really talks about how much an inch, a pound, or another specific unit is (the way the Metric Song does with its namesake units). That material made me suspect that the song must have come from another TV show.

Xerus

Reaction score
Actually, it wasn't Sesame Street. It was a musical series on NBC on Saturday Mornings 1978. It was called the Metric Marvels, from the creators of Schoolhouse Rock. It was about 4 superheroes who taught us about the metric system through song. The Marvels consisted of...

Meter Man, who had a ruler than can extend very long distances.

Liter Leader, who can squeeze himself into a tiny measuring cup.

Wonder Gram, an obese woman who can grow into a giant or a tiny speck.

Super Celsius, a super weatherman who broadcasts what the weather's going to be like.

bkeller

Reaction score
Metric song

Thanks, Xerus. You might be right - it was about that time and could've been another show. Wish I could find all the lyrics to that song though. Ever have some silly song playing in your head and you can't get rid of it? That's how it is with that one! I only remember it sang about liters, and all the rest of the measurments and had a very catchy melody. Think it was a guy singing, too. - Brenda

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... Haven't seen her make an appearance on the show, yet... But it sounds like Wonder Gram served as the inspiration for the character of Ms. Valentine's Day from Onepiece. She's part of the agents of the group Baroque Works. She ate the kilo-kilo cursed fruit and can thus change her weight from normal scale to a massed ton to as light as a feather.

Sorry, this probably has nothing to do with the song in question. Just an observation.

bkeller

Reaction score
Conjunction Junction

More I think about it you must be right Xerus. Now I remember another one - Conjunction Junction - I see on Amazon there are CDs with these songs too. Maybe one of them has some Metric Marvels stuff on it.