The Montana episodes

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Montana episodes from 1991? It was the very last remote show Sesame Street ever did, and in my opinion, it was right at the time just before Sesame Street really started to go downhill. I remember it was Maria, Luis, Gabi, Big Bird, the Count, Oscar, and a young boy named Francis and his parents, who were seen on Sesame Street for a few episodes before they left for Montana. Big Bird became close friends with Francis. Althogether, there was 4 Montana shows and also the show right before they left and the show when they returned home. Oscar refused to come out of his Trashcan from early on, and we never really saw him there, just his can and you could only hear his voice coming from insisde the can. I often wondered if when they did this remote show if they forgot the Oscar Puppet and had to write this into the script? The Count was there and he rode a Horse and so did Big Bird. On the 3rd episode of this series Oscar wasn't in it, or should I say his can wasn't in it. But that's probably because they were focussing more on Big Bird and Francis. I remember during the Cold Openings of the Montana shows, it would show Snuffy and Alice in front of a big Map back on Sesame Street and Snuffy was showing Alice Montana. Each episode had a special opening with The SS gang Riding on the back of a Pickup truck, singing a different SS theme. Does anyone remember the Lyrics. I take it they drove to Montana, which must have been one heck of a drive. who else remembers this?

ISNorden

Reaction score
I remember the Montana story arc, too, though it's depressing to know that the cast will never take another trip on the show. Only a few lines of the special theme lyrics come to mind:

"Here we go, into the land of Crow..."
"People waiting for/Big pow-wow,/heading for Pryor now...There's a cow, I want to count her feet!/It's a long, long, long, long, long, long way from Sesame Street."

The closings for those episodes also tied in to the trip; I recall two Thing-of-the-Day announcements in that story arc:

"Sesame Street was brought to you from Crow country, by the letters A and H...and by the number 11."

An announcement in the Crow language itself; I understood "Sesame Street", "N", and "X" but the rest was incomprehensible. Thank goodness that the "8" still appeared onscreen...and that I'd watched enough Sesame Street to know what people usually say at the end. :confused: