1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Most Musical Muppet Film of all

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by vettech28, Sep 24, 2012.

1. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

Muppets are very musical characters, but what do you think is the most musical Muppet film of all?
    The first three are close, but I think the most musical films are The Great Muppet Caper, the latest Muppet movie, and The Muppet Christmas Carol.

What do you think, consider the music and the amount of singing and dancing in each film.
  2. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Muppets from Space. [​IMG]

Jokes aside, in terms of incorporating songs into the narrative effectively, I would say The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island did it the best. The original three films were good at it, The Great Muppet Caper doing it the best, but the thing is that most of the songs don't really move the narrative along. As beautiful as "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" is, it comes the heck out of nowhere and could easily be cut out. The Muppets also did superb with incorporating the songs even if some of them are misplaced ("Me Party" anyone?).
  3. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Haha muppets from space what a joke
    muppetfan24/7 and BobThePizzaBoy like this.
  4. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

I agree, except for "Cabin Fever" in MTI, which in almost every sense of the word, was a Big Lipped Alligator Moment (if you don't know what it is, I refer you to looking it up on YouTube).
  5. Animal'sBunny

Animal'sBunny Active Member

I love the The Muppets and Muppet Treasure Island soundtracks.
  6. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Hmmm....
    The Muppet Movie has (Rainbow Connection, the dance Kermit and Fozzie do at the El Sleezo, Movin' Right Along, Can You Picture That, Never Before Never Again, I Hope That Something Better Comes Along, Fozzie's "America", the quick Movin Right Along reprise, and The Magic Store (finale)) In total: 9 song and dance numbers

The Great Muppet Caper has (Hey a Movie, Happiness Hotel, Steppin' Out With A Star, Nightlife, The First Time It Happens, Couldn't We Ride, Miss Piggy's Fantasy, and Hey A Movie reprise (finale) ) In total: 8 song and dance numbers

The Muppets Take Manhattan has (Together Again, You Can't Take No For An Answer, Saying Goodbye, Rat Scat, I'm Gonna Always Love You, Right Where I (We) Belong, Somebody's Getting Married, and He'll Make Me Happy) In total: 8 song and dance numbers

The Muppet Christmas Carol has (Scrooge, One More Sleep Till Christmas, Marley and Marley, When Love is Gone, Christmas Scat, Bless Us All, Thankful Heart, and the Finale) In total: 8 song and dance numbers (9 if you wanna count Fozziwig's Party, and 11 if you wanna also count Room In Your Heart and Chairman of The Board (The cut songs from the movie) )

Muppet Treasure Island has (Shiver My Timbers, Something Better, Sailing For Adventure, Cabin Fever, A Professional Pirate, Boom Shakalaka and Love Led Us Here) In total: 7 song and dance numbers

(Not counting Muppets from Space)

The Muppets has (Life's a Happy Song, Pictures in My Head, Moopets Rainbow Connection, Me Party, Let's Talk About Me, Man or Muppet, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Forget You, Rainbow Connection, The Whistling Caruso, and Life's A Happy Song reprise (finale) ) In total: 11 song and dance numbers (12 if you count We Built This City)

So, pretty much, The Muppets has the most musical numbers.
  7. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I would agree with MissMusical12 on The Muppets. It has the most musical numbers out of all the Muppet movies.
    I wonder how many musical numbers The Muppets 2 will have?
    muppetfan24/7 and MissMusical12 like this.
  8. MissMusical12

Probably just as much as The Muppets. I wouldn't be surprised. But that has to depend on what the plot is going to be for it.

What I'm actually surprised about is that The Muppets has more numbers than any other Muppet movie (However, some of the songs we're pretty forgettable in my opinion (Me Party and Let's Talk About Me, in particular.) )
  9. Animal'sBunny

Animal'sBunny Active Member

Really? I mean, I didn't really like Let's Talk About me and admittedly can't remember the words to save my life, but I really, really liked Me Party. But yeah, I agree about The Muppets being the most musical.
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I'll go with Muppets Take Manhattan. Besides the fact that it's actually about a musical, the soundtrack really helps carry the emotions of the characters throughout the story. :)
  11. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I'll go with The Muppet Christmas Carol.
  12. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Me too! It was also Jerry Nelson's moment to shine even though Jim and Richard passed away. He had a great voice and I thought it was the most musical film of all time.
  13. MissMusical12

That's what I really enjoyed about Muppets Take Manhattan. The fact that it's a (movie) musical about putting on a musical. You're especially getting this from someone who's a HUGE fan of Broadway and musicals. Although, I wish there could've been maybe one more song or two in the movie, it's still great the way it is. :)
    heralde likes this.
  14. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Well, let me do the math. Here is a list of the original muppet movies and their original songs.

TMM
    1. The Rainbow Connection
    2. Moving Right Along
    3. Can You Picture That
    4. Never Before Never Again
    5. I Hope That Something Better Comes Along
    6. I'm Going to Go Back There Someday
    7. The Magic Store
    GMC
    1. Hey A Movie
    2. Happiness Hotel
    3. Stepping Out With A Star
    4. Night Life
    5. The First Time It Happens
    6. Why Couldn't We Ride
    7. Piggy's Fantasy
    MTM
    1. Together Again
    2. You Can't Take No For An Answer
    3. Saying Goodbye
    4. I'm Going To Always Love You
    5. Right Where I Belong
    6. Somebody's Getting Married
    7. He'll Make Me Happy
    I just think the first three feel most like musicals. MTM keeps a lot of its songs at the end, so I just do not feel the musical vibe, and GMC stops the songs after Piggy's Fantasy, not counting the "Hey A Movie" reprise. So, I think that TMM is the most musical muppet film, not only is it the first one, but the songs are scattered well, and they all work.

15. fozzieisfunny

fozzieisfunny Well-Known Member

I probably feel like TMM and MMW are the most musical. The music in both those two are placed at the right times. Not all of them at the beginning, not all at the end. I also feel like GMC does a pretty good music job, too. Although MFS is definitely by far the most musical.
  16. Muppet Master

Actually, MMW had way too many songs at the beginning with only Something So Right and Together Again in the second half of the movie.
  17. fozzieisfunny

Yeah, I just realized that after I typed it. MTI and MFS are the most musical, in my opinion.
  18. Muppet Master

Obviously MFS, it had so many songs, they are all listed.
  19. fozzieisfunny

Yeah. The music is awesome in that film.