The Muppet Man BioPic

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, it said they got the rights to use the Muppet Show Muppets. But what about Sesame Street or Fraggle Rock, are they not a BIG part of his life and legacy? :confused:
The word is that this is going through both companies Henson and Disney so everything's in.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I'm more frightened by the idea of them hiring a director who has never made a feature film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The word is that this is going through both companies Henson and Disney so everything's in.
They'd also need the okay from SW... but I'm sure they'd be able to negotiate. After all, SS is a BIG part of what made the Muppets a household name and what rocketed Jim to Super Stardom.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
My real question is who is going to play the Muppet characters? The actors in the film? The actual Muppet performers?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
My real question is who is going to play the Muppet characters? The actors in the film? The actual Muppet performers?
If they don't use the real Muppet performers, at least for voicing purposes, I'm going to be very tick-ed off.

On the other hand, if the actors they get can do the voices right, why not give them a chance?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
this post is mostly from a directors point of view.

in reality it being a biopic they dont have to hire the muppeteers considering the movie may not go to much in depth voice character wise. i mean the characters will be there but if they have them talking all the time then it shifts from a henson biopic to a muppet movie

James Denny

Reaction score
The script on this thing was written by a guy using wikipedia as his main source, i read it and rewrites ain't the word i use, completly starting over is about where i'd start. To paraphrase Phylis Diller "Madam, we do repairs, not reclaimations" but substitute the word rewrite into repairs.

I'm sure the guy who wrote it meant well but scenes in that thing make me shudder worse than Deadly and :scary: combined.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
this post is mostly from a directors point of view.

in reality it being a biopic they dont have to hire the muppeteers considering the movie may not go to much in depth voice character wise. i mean the characters will be there but if they have them talking all the time then it shifts from a henson biopic to a muppet movie
Coming from a wannabe director's point of view, that makes sense.

But it would be nice if they hired the Muppeteers for the few number of scenes the characters are needed in (if only so we don't have to suffer through several bad Muppet impressions).

Luke

Reaction score
Just don't see this (particular) film being made. I'm sure Henson bought it mainly to keep it out of other studios' hands. They may eventually embark on a Henson bio but it would be another script (the "Henson" script from a year ago or a whole other one entirely). Despite the attention it's garnered, The Muppet Man would be a disservice to Jim's memory and legacy as it was written by someone who neither really knew him, did the level of research that would earn him anywhere from a "C-" to an "F" if it were graded by an instructor, and simply failed to "get" Jim Henson and what he was about. There's a great movie waiting to be made about Jim but "The Muppet Man" isn't it.
I agree with you totally - no way are they going to use the script "as is" -especially as it has quite a bit of adult/darker stuff. Sounds more like they were interested in doing a Biopic, optioned his script to keep it from being made as a low budget thing and will get people in to re-write it and just give him a title in the credits.

I think for the puppeteers, they might show the actors doing the puppets as well as trying to do the voices. I think the only way it would gel with the real Muppeteers doing the voices is if u never saw the actors actually "underneath" the puppets. We shall see tho - its probably still a long way from being made, if ever.

I think the only way Jim Carey would do it is if he was Jim Henson. Too big a name to be a supporting actor.

zns

Reaction score
My only concern about this movie is that it stays true to Jim and his legacy and not make too much out of his personal life. The stuff about the Muppets being used in the plots as their own characters and Jim having hallucinations seems unnecessary though. Just a thought.