'The Muppet Movie' to be preserved by Library of Congress

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Yay! My arm is going to be in the Library of Congress!

Or, at least, something my arm DID is going to be in the Library of Congress.

:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yay! My arm is going to be in the Library of Congress!

Or, at least, something my arm DID is going to be in the Library of Congress.

What arm parts in particular? This is my favorite film so it would make for a fun additional viewing to look for them. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
This is genuinely great news. When the world ends in 2012 and everyone lives in caves, they will have this preserved to keep everyone's spirits up!

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain...bah bah bah bah!

Or...something...similar...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well... um... you know... the arm parts that were inside Ernie.

The group shot. Cool! I thought there could be additional shots too, but that really is one of the most iconic shots in the entire film and Muppet history in general!

I have another odd question for you. Do Muppets smell funky from use or are they cleaned? I've always wondered that. Performing under the bright lights for so long. How would one dry clean a Muppet?

hoopless

Reaction score
I have another odd question for you. Do Muppets smell funky from use or are they cleaned? I've always wondered that. Performing under the bright lights for so long. How would one dry clean a Muppet?
HAHA off topic, but I really want to know that too now.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Wow... I never thought about that... Ew... they must get rank...

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
The group shot. Cool! I thought there could be additional shots too, but that really is one of the most iconic shots in the entire film and Muppet history in general!

I don't recall them ever smelling funky in the many encounters I've had with them. I don't actually know the answer, but I'm guessing they must use some kind of disinfectant spray inside of them. I know they do that with the Disney walk-around costumes, which probably get much more rank than the hand puppets.

I will say that during the Muppet Movie shoot, I put my hand in Cookie Monster during a break and he was absolutely saturated inside. Ick! I guess the person that was operating him was much more perspiration prone than me. Also, he's made out of fur, which I'm sure gets hotter inside than foam and fleece.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
I don't recall them ever smelling funky in the many encounters I've had with them. I don't actually know the answer, but I'm guessing they must use some kind of disinfectant spray inside of them. I know they do that with the Disney walk-around costumes, which probably get much more rank than the hand puppets.

I will say that during the Muppet Movie shoot, I put my hand in Cookie Monster during a break and he was absolutely saturated inside. Ick! I guess the person that was operating him was much more perspiration prone than me. Also, he's made out of fur, which I'm sure gets hotter inside than foam and fleece.

Ever during the 90 min or so workshop with Steve Whitmire this weekend my hand was getting so sweaty inside my lil ****** puppet.... So I cant imagine what it would be like in a heavier puppet... as for a full body thing... I used to work at Build-A-Bear Workshop, long ago... and I was the Bear a few time... I think I dropped about 10 lbs in sweat each time... it REAKED in that thing.