The MuppetCast - Show #39 - Dance Your Cares Away!

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Can you believe it's been 25 years since Fraggle Rock's first episode aired on HBO? Well it has, and January 10 marks the anniversary date, so we're celebrating here on The MuppetCast! The show includes a nice Fraggle retrospective, and another exclusive interview, this time with Fraggle Rock co-creator and writer Jocelyn Stevenson!

This episode is completely Fraggle. Very little in the way of any non-Fraggle updates, since I was afraid this was going to be another long episode anyway. Turns out I was right; it's a little long, but just listen to it in chunks if you can't do it all in one sitting. I think you'll really enjoy it.

The show email remains me@muppetcast.com, and the voice line is 614-364-4270 if you'd like to call and leave comments or questions in the show voicemail. Thanks again for all the Muppet love in 2007, here's to a great 2008!

Have a great week!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just have to say thanks so much for the interview with Jocelyn Stevenson! You really got a feel for what it must have been like working on Fraggle Rock, and also the experience of a writer in the entertainment industry. When she talked about how she volunteered to bring the board to Jim Henson when someone else wouldn't, that shows just how persistent and brave you have to be when building a career.

I also really enjoy hearing her comments on Jerry Juhl and Richard Hunt. Finally, I'm glad she is standing up for children's Television, a medium that is sadly overlooked and under estimated. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Steve. Finished listening to Show 39. Lots of good Fraggly fun and memories. Sesame will always be #1 to me, but yeah, I do have some memories of watching Fraggle Rock.

Some of the episodes that I have a connection to are the one with the Merggles, merfolk versions of Fraggles. And another episode where Uncle Traveling Matt comes home to Fraggle Rock and makes a grand discovery. Him and Gobo learn of a magical room accessed by a sort of ramp that opens up like the Indiana Jones boulder rampway, except in this case there's a Doozer-statue that opens up the underground lair. Once there, you'll find lots of arches, each one swirls with brightly-colored light and takes you to a different Outer Space local.
Another episode that resonates with my time of watching the show on HBO is one where Doc sort of agrees to team up with other scientists to conduct experiments on the water supply. He says that he's only doing it because he has no sign of creatures living behind or beyond the wall that would be affected. This could be a precursor to Honk of Honks I guess, not sure as I don't have the episode's title. Doc finally desists once Boober, from the other side of the Fraggle-hole, pushes out a stack of Uncle Matt's postcards tied with some mossweed.

There's a lot of stuff I want to send for the Richard Hunt show, mostly from my friendships here on the forums. There's a story in the Fanfiction section I wrote this last September/December called For Richard or Poorer. It needs a bit of set-up which I'll go into in what will be sent your way. But check it out, you might find a certain Muppet media man making an appearance.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Downloading it right now. Can't wait to hear the interview. Yeah Fraggles!

Luke

Reaction score
Steve, i'm so stoked you managed to get Jocelyn, i was hoping you would. I'm so happy about it i'm actually NOT listening to this just yet and saving it as i'm travelling next week and want to listen to it on my journey. So its getting pride of place on my itinery, lol. I'll have to tell ya what i think after.

Keep up the good work!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Ok here is my question. Is Fragle Rock as good as all the talk has been lattly? I ask because i really have never seen many of there shows, and can really only rembere the fragles being on a Muppet Family Christmas. I need to get a hold of some Fragle shows some how, and really see for myslef. Also is Jim Henson involved in the show much or was he busy with other things like The dark Cristal and stuff. If yall can show me the light i would really be thankfull.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ok here is my question. Is Fragle Rock as good as all the talk has been lattly? I ask because i really have never seen many of there shows, and can really only rembere the fragles being on a Muppet Family Christmas. I need to get a hold of some Fragle shows some how, and really see for myslef. Also is Jim Henson involved in the show much or was he busy with other things like The dark Cristal and stuff. If yall can show me the light i would really be thankfull.
Heh, well this is just my opinion, but Fraggle Rock is every bit as good as the talk says and more, lol. Of course, you would really have to decide that for yourself. But to me it's funny and strange and written almost as an adult show but for kids. Jim Henson only has two main characters aren they aren't on the show much, but they definitely make impressions. :smile:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Sure dwayne, I think I can help you there:

Not that I'm biased or anything, but Fraggle Rock IS as good as everyone says it is. It's a fun, lighthearted show that is very Muppet-y at its core, yet is very different in some ways from the Muppet Show. FR represented Jim Henson's big chance to do something huge to change the world, and Jim took it as a chance to make an international children's show that did, I think many will agree, leave a big impact on many of us.

Jim was very involved with Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, overseeing practically every detail. With Fraggle Rock, he let those in his core group take the reigns, and while he was out working on projects like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, he gave this group of people consisting of producers, performers, and writers, enough freedom to take what they'd learned from Jim over the years and make the show that so many of us watched weekly on HBO. Jim was immensely involved in the planning and formation stages of the show, and was in fact there at the beginning of shooting, but as time went on and he became more busy, Jim only returned to the Fraggle set periodically. These appearances are manifested in the show with characters like Cantus the Minstrel and Convincing John, among others.

The episodes are, luckily, very easy to come by these days. Go pick up season one and get started! If you have any trouble finding it, let me know. I think you'll really enjoy what you see!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Or if you can't afford the big season sets at the moment, there are some Fraggle DVDs out with two or three episodes. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I really enjoyed every bit of this show. You caught my eye when you had that interview with Jocelyn. I thought my goodness you got the one who help write most of the episodes. You made this episode one of my top 10 favorites. You always out do you self Steve. Keep them coming and can't once again wait for the next one to come out.