The MuppetCast - Show #41 - Tribute to Richard Hunt

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
It's Here!

I just pushed the button, and it's now online. I hope this serves as a fitting tribute to Richard. I think there are things there in the show that he would have really liked (if anyone can tell what the classical background music is, I'll give you a cookie). Then again, he would probably have one really big response to the whole show:

Your Face!

Haha. But please let me know what you thought of this. The MuppetCast email is me@muppetcast.com, and the phone line is 614-989-6326.

Thanks again!

BEAR

Reaction score
Wow! It's gonna be a loooong one. Can't wait to listen to it this afternoon!:excited:

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of listening to this but I definitely have to take a break now to thank you so, so, so much for putting this together, this is so astounding and wonderful, thank you. :big_grin:

matleo

Reaction score
I'm about 3 minutes in and so far it's your best produced show so far! First class man! really first class.

--Matt

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I really sound like that?

Otherwise, fantastic show! Richard's one of my favorite performers. I love the picture of him wearing the Sweetums legs while he reads the newspaper! I always thought Richard and Jim were the most photogenic of the Muppeteers... they both just have that constant expression that lets you know they love what they do.

matleo

Reaction score
I really sound like that?

Otherwise, fantastic show! Richard's one of my favorite performers. I love the picture of him wearing the Sweetums legs while he reads the newspaper! I always thought Richard and Jim were the most photogenic of the Muppeteers... they both just have that constant expression that lets you know they love what they do.
you know, I have a collection of signed pictures of the puppeteers and they're characters. I have everyone except for (obviously) Richard. it's not signed, but I have a copy of that picture that hangs with others.

--Matt

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really dont know what to say it was so good i cried.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Steve... This was quite possibly one of your best episodes yet. The interviews... The stories... The emotion... Top notch effort and high marks all around.

1 The first story Mr. Oz shared... That's a sentiment I can only sort of start to know as it's mirrored with what happened to my grand-uncle a few years ago, but I'll save that for whenever you and I can talk offline.
2 The Oklahoma bit with Forgetful is quite funny. See... The play is called "Oklahoma" right? But this was done on Sesame Street, right? Well, as you know, Sesame had this sister program called The Electric Company in the late 70's and early 80's. TEC taught phonetics for the older kids who had sort of graduated out of SST. Well, this sketch was a kind of return to that. Why do I say that? Because if you find the segment at the Sesame Video Website, you'll know that Forgetful comes out singing "A-klahoma" in his first take before Kermit yells "CUT!". Forgetful then does two more takes going through the vowels in order. Finally, when Forgetful comes out for the fourth time, he sings "O-klahoma", to which a female Anything Muppet yelles "CUT!" Bewildered, Kermit asks why she did that as Forgetful got the line correct. She then explains that it's time for lunch.
3 The song "Scratch My Back" included two Anything Monsters known as Jack and Jill. Perhaps it's one of those David Rudman puppeteered his first day. To that extent, it's sort of an homage to Richard that Baby Bear has the same speech problem of pronouncing his "r"'s as "w"'s instead much like Junior Gorg and that David is now one of the two new performers performing/voicing the Two-Headed Monster.
4 Jane was in one of Frank Oz's movies... She was in The Muppets Take Manhattan which was directed by Frank. Who did she play? Well, if you go to the scene where Kermit's dressed up like Barnabus Collins from the old supernatural soap opera Dark Shadows in fedora and overcoat with fake mustache at Sardi's restaurant where the rats kick off the whispering campaign... You'll have to look for one of the patron who resembles Richard's mother.
5 Is it possible Jane was thinking of Jon Stone, once director of Sesame Street?
6 Some of Richard's Sesame characters stick out in my mind and I would've liked to hear from at least one of these... There was a blue furry monster from around Season 14 named Aristotle who Richard performed in a quiet demeanor as this character was meant to be blind. Problem is, I don't really remember this monster and would like to hear him just once again. Richard's other memorable Sesame character is one we all know even though he never had a single spoken line. The character in question is that hard-working red-helmeted journeyman, Sully. No words needed, this guy partnered with Biff had a charm all of his own.
7 Richard is always said to upstage his fellow performers. And yet, you aired the song "Up and Down Opera" with Placido and Ernie. What I distinctly remember from when I had better sight is, at the end, Ernie sticks his head out from behind the curtain to take an extra head-bow. And then Placido comes out to drag Ernie back in admonishing him. Hee, guess that was one time Richard tried to save face and not be fully upstaged by his fellow performers.

Again, one of your greatest and I look forward to whatever's in store for us next week.
Thank you for this Steve.