The MuppetCast - Show #42 - Late-Night Muppets

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Hi ho! This week brings some rare audio, found right here on Muppet Central! Along with listener feedback (and much more of it to come), Muppet news, This Week In (Muppet) History, and even a contest winner, we get to hear the Muppets on the Dick Cavett Show. The audio is taken from November 25, 1971. I don't know who posted here on the forums, but whoever it was please do let me know. I really want to credit whoever posted this!

It's great fun, hearing Jim, Frank, and the Muppets taking over the whole show! Dick even has some fun performing a puppet himself. Classic Muppet music and sketches in the show too. Hope you like it. I've been waiting for a good place to include that audio, and this week seemed like a good time.

Have a great week!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Mmm... Microphone look delicious! Listened and laughed along with countless others. Couple of things... What Muppets were involved in the version of Visual Thinking? And I noticed you chopped off the bit with Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphones at the beginning of "Don't Go Changing". Shoulda sent in a submission for the contest. Oh well, there's plenty of merch out there to be gotten. Talk to ya soon.

And happy 10th B-Day MC!

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Hey Count! I played the Dick Cavett audio "as-is", or in other words, in the same condition as I found it. Unfortunately there were some cuts. Too bad, I think it woulda been fun to hear the commercials from 1971 too! Definitely would have been good for a laugh.

MC is 10 years old now? How did I miss that one? Gah!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No... I'm not talking about the Dick Cavett audio material. This is from the Muppet Montage that followed. You have the song "Thinking Of U", a second song I don't remember right now, and then "Don't Go Changing". If you find that song here on MCR, you'll notice that Merissa Berenson was scheduled to sing it with Rowlf at the piano... But Marvin is there instead. It's a hilarious intro that leads to Rowlf's eventual appearance.

Yep, check the Announcements section, the info's there for all to see and celebrate.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Oh! Okay that explains it. I just listened to it right now. I actually didn't get those final two songs from the montage from MC. I just ripped them from the season 3 episodes themselves. So I got my own "cut" of the songs, hehe.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Loved the show as always.

I love the part where Jim Frank Carol and Jerry are all being interviewd. The part I love the most of that is Jim messing up who is doing what Muppet. they all sounded a little nervios being out in the open like that so i thought it was wonderful.

Good job as always Steve!

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Ya know, I've always heard legends of the "I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face" sketch, but I've never seen it visually!

Please don't shoot me.

Steve, grand show as always!

BJ

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Well, you're safe from me, but I can't speak for the rest of these crazies!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That Dick Cavett Show episode was good. Muppet Wiki claism that the appearance was promoting The Frog Princve and the Muppet Alphabet Album, but while The Frog Prince was promoted, I didn't see any mention of The Muppet Alphabet Album, just performances of a few songs. I wonder if My Favorite Letter and A Very, Very Special Letter were performed live or lip-synched. I could tell that the performance of La, La, La was different from the album recording. It's a good thing that there wasn't anything in that episode that needed to be seen to understand, aside form stuff that many of us have seen elsewhere (I've Grown Accustoemd to Your Face, Glow Worm).

I wonder if the Visual Thinking sketch was a clip from The Ed Sullivan Show performance, or if the same audio was used (it sounded pretty much identical, and I doubt that Jerry Juhl would have been in the studio performing his character by that point). If it was a different performance, I wonder if Grump was used, or if a different character was used as the staright man.

It's interesting how certain individual Muppets were announced at the beginning. It's a shame that Lothar and the Snowths weren't mentioned (Yorrick wasn't mentioned either, and I'd be surprised if a different character was used in "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face"). And it's interesting that Cookie Monster was announced as a "special guest star".

zns

Reaction score
I am desperatly trying to find the entire Dick Cavett show from that episode (not the audio only version). If anyone can help me, please send me an email as soon as possible. Thanks.