The Muppets and Lady Gaga in new Christmas special November 28 on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, I've seen some of the shots the paparazzi have snapped of some of her previous escapades at parties, and some were rather explicit... you know, on that notion, you could say that an actor's career leaves little time for recreation, yet somehow they manage to find the time to drop about a dozen puppies here and there. :stick_out_tongue:

Other than that, I'm just trying to figure out what reasons people have for feeling Lady Gaga isn't a suitable choice for the Muppets to be associated with.
I'm not her greatest fan, but her notoriety for being a party girl doesn't appear to be authentic.

I've heard very little about Gaga's escapades beyond what she admitted to doing before becoming famous. I'm sure she plays-up that image because young club goers are her fanbase. I just can't begrudge her some youthful indiscretions. Other than that, I just don't follow the tabloids unless something gets picked up by a legitimate news outlet.

Unlike actors, musicians make their money from touring and unlike ensemble bands, stars like Gaga are the show and they have to bring their A-game. One the best concert documentaries I've ever seen was Madonna's Truth or Dare. She doesn't come off like a great person, but it is clear that very little clubbing goes on around her. What these people do is like a nightly athletic competition.

I think a legitimate point that some folk have is that she has used blasphemy for shock value, but (unlike Madonna) has no real message beyond attention-seeking. However, there are celebrities who use their religion to drum-up sales and that's just as distasteful. That's the one gripe I would have. If you're going to shock people in an offensive way, have a legitimate message to go along with it. That's my two cents.

On another note, I wonder just who most people here were hoping to have instead of Gaga? I'd like to see the fan lists. Who do you guys think would have been better choices for this primetime holiday special?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think a legitimate point that some folk have is that she has used blasphemy for shock value, but (unlike Madonna) has no real message beyond attention-seeking.
I wasn't aware of that, but hey, as I mentioned earlier, some people here had bees in their boxers over Ricky Gervais being the lead of MWW, all because he's an atheist.
On another note, I wonder just who most people here were hoping to have instead of Gaga? I'd like to see the fan lists. Who do you guys think would have been better choices for this primetime holiday special?
Well, we know Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber can be ruled out: everybody else has already spoken loud and clear about those two as well (but what do you bet both of them, or at least Bieber's gonna make an appearance in this special?)

But as I've already said, I'd rather have an actual story and plot to follow for a holiday special instead of another one of these annual artist of the year getting their own holiday concert special where the biggest artist trending in music right now perform their own versions of Christmas songs, or their own original Christmas songs.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think a legitimate point that some folk have is that she has used blasphemy for shock value
I feel its interesting that you feel that way. As a religious guy myself, I find her work with art/religion to actually be quite authentic and meaningful. Maybe I read too much into it because I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I was expecting Judas (for example) to be pure shock, but it was surprisingly deep. Similarly I feel her exploration in the new 'aura' song is really exciting as well.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Gaga but honestly I'm not a big fan of todays musicians, if I had to think of young musicians to sing alongside the Muppets I would have a very hard time coming up with a list. However as long as the Muppets are involved I could put up with any of them but please never, ever, EVER Justin Bieber because honestly that would be the first ever muppet production in my life I would not watch.

I hope Muppet Studio DC remains the only Muppet DVD I will never purchase (I never want to see Muppets working with Miley Cyrus). I'm actually so glad they chose Lady Gaga, she's not my favourite but when it comes to being talented these days in my opinion she's one of the worthy ones.

As long as Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus aren't involved then I'll watch, there are those who are talented in unconventional ways and then there are simply those who have no talent and make humans seems ridiculous. Anyway i'm very excited for this... Walters debut on prime time tv :fanatic:

rowlfy662

Reaction score
Actually, it seems that Rowlf WILL be in it. In the picture Lady Piggy posted, if you look real close, you can see hidden behind Walter--his face and black nose are visible.
Why so he is I didn't even notice fantastic getting more excited about this buy the day

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
That was directed to me. :embarrassed:

That is a good point, and that definetley does make me feel a little more optimistic about this special. The celebrity cameos wouldn't be my first choice, but as long as my Muppets are treated nicely, I honestly couldn't care about anything else at this point. I'm just worried about how they'll be handled in the presence of Lady Gaga and RuPaul. :concern:
No, not necessarily. Just to anyone who thought this was a bad pair up. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Gaga but honestly I'm not a big fan of todays musicians, if I had to think of young musicians to sing alongside the Muppets I would have a very hard time coming up with a list.
I'm right there with you, lol. I don't care about people's personal lives, no one is perfect. It's about whether I respect them as an artist and I also can't think of too many people around today that get me excited.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think what's really lost in translation is the chicken and egg mystery of this project's origin. It really seems to me that too many are reading into the "Disney picked an at the moment star to make the Muppets popular," and that's going to cast a shadow of cynicism on this project to those who let it. As I've been saying multiple times already, the question would more be appropriately: Who do you think would have been a better choice for Gaga to pick for her special? Seems that there was major collaboration between both parties, but she could easily have just a regular Christmas special like the last time with more human guest stars.

Honestly, if I could have my pick of who the Muppets should work with, somehow I'd rather see Cee-Lo Green again. That dude's a Muppet himself.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
On that topic, I actually think this is not a Muppet special, but rather a Lady Gaga one that the Muppets were just invited to (much like last years Cee-Lo's Magic Moment). There's no way that these cameos would be Disney's first choices, I just can't see it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On that topic, I actually think this is not a Muppet special, but rather a Lady Gaga one that the Muppets were just invited to (much like last years Cee-Lo's Magic Moment).
Um, that's what I said back on the first page.

Status
Not open for further replies.