The Muppets and Lady Gaga in new Christmas special November 28 on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, we didn't know about this special until we heard that the Muppets were doing a special with Lady Gaga, so I doubt it was possible for any of us to hope for a different star. But better stars in my opinion include Weird Al Yankovic, Steve Carrell, Neil Patrick Harris, Katy Perry, Jim Carrey... That's all for now.
How many times must I say this is probably a Lady Gaga special where she specifically requested to star with The Muppets before the point comes across? If the Muppets have a solo Christmas special, I'd love to see any one of those guys, but I really think we should be thankful an A list celebrity is such a fan that we get to see her and them vs. just her like the last time.

Unfortunately, you can also read in that Gaga is more willing to make a Muppet Christmas special than Disney. So, make of that what you will.

Now if Disney used their synergy, I'd LOVE to see the Muppets work with various Marvel characters (ala Phineas and Ferb, but live action). Preferably the ones that don't need CGI (sorry, Hulk).

I thought people were complaining more because he normally stars in R-rated movies, even though a lot of R-rated stars have appeared in Muppet movies. I think I even saw a thread about it, where somebody was worried that Muppets Most Wanted would be rated R just because Ricky Gervais was going to be in it.
Robin Williams voiced a cartoon Genie, Chris Rock voiced a cartoon zebra, and Eddie Murphy voiced a cartoon donkey. I don't know who was spouting that nonsense, but the very idea that a celebrity is tied down to a certain rating for starring in films not made for children that they can't make a career out of entertaining children is laughable as it is insulting.

Ricky has been on Sesame Street, along with a LOT of celebs that did films that were PG-13 and R. Usually with no complaint. As long as Ricky doesn't do anything R rated, the film's not going to be rated R. Heck, how many Pixar characters are voiced by PG-13 and R rated film stars? Ratings are for film content, not celebrities.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Not really a fan of Lady Gaga, but that's because the music she performs isn't up my alley. But I couldn't careless that the Muppets are appearing with her in a Christmas special -- I don't really get why there's been some really negative reaction across the Internet about this. The more Muppets appearances on TV the better.

If I was asked to team the Muppets up with my dream choice, it'd be My Morning Jacket -- easily. I'm still bummed the planned tour with them and the Electric Mayhem never got going.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And also, Cheech Marin voiced both a chihuahua and a hyena. And both Cheech and Chong were in Ferngully (with Robin Williams).

It is interesting, I know that Robin Williams has been in a number of R-rated movies, but I don't associate him as an R-rated star. I think he's done just as many family-friendly films, though I know that he chose to do Aladdin so that he could be in something his kids could watch. But then he had been in a number of family films beforehand: Ferngully (which I think came out earlier the same year), Hook, and Popeye come to mind.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't really get why there's been some really negative reaction across the Internet about this.
It's an Us vs. Them thing I imagine. Gaga represents the mainstream and what's "popular" now, which a lot of people are hostile towards. Whereas the Muppets are having to rather unfairly prove to everyone they aren't has-beens.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I thought he was based in America regardless.
Why would you assume that? America is a great place, but we aren't the center of the world. Elton has homes around the world but his status remains as a UK citizen. When he got hitched to David Furnish, it was in Great Britain.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Why would you assume that? America is a great place, but we aren't the center of the world. Elton has homes around the world but his status remains as a UK citizen. When he got hitched to David Furnish, it was in Great Britain.
I have no idea where he was living at that time, but it's not unusual for foreign artists to take up residence in the US once they get famous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which is nonsense, btw. Is this what the MPAA is being paid for? Lol
I keep saying this. PG is essentially a G film with hipper, edgier PR. For some reason, if it doesn't say "Pixar," if a movie doesn't say PG instead of G, it's automatically considered a baby film by the oh so intelligent general public. So, honestly, it isn't even the MPAA's fault here.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I keep saying this. PG is essentially a G film with hipper, edgier PR. For some reason, if it doesn't say "Pixar," if a movie doesn't say PG instead of G, it's automatically considered a baby film by the oh so intelligent general public. So, honestly, it isn't even the MPAA's fault here.
True, I guess paranoid parents are the real culprits here.

Status
Not open for further replies.