The Muppets Character Encyclopedia coming Feb. 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The Latin is placeholder text. It's standard when working with layouts to paste multiple copies of a few Latin phrases to show what the text will look like when they have the real content. These are just mockup pages.
That's what I thought, I just didn't know the technical word for it. Still I think the layout looks great, and it looks like they will have plenty of room for some fun , and hopefully new facts. I would also hope that they would include the performers names, but I think that is a stretch.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would have been great to have seen sample layouts for one of the more major characters, to see if the main characters would have more pages (since there's a lot more to write about Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, and so on than there is about the characters in these sample pages).

So it looks like some character pages will have Statler and Waldorf making comments about the characters or pages. Not sure how I feel about this. It's space that could be used for more facts or pictures.

Even though these are mock-ups, I can't help but think that the characters paired on the two-page spreads are final. And with it being alphabetical order, it looks like Angelo will be missing (he should come between Angel Marie and Angus McGonacle). I think somebody on the Toughpigs forum said they'd have to tear out that part, but it looks like that member will get to keep the whole book. Unless the mock-up people just took random pages and put them together implying two-page spreads. Or if, considering many of the images come from the Henson Archives, they're mainly doing characters from when Henson owned the Muppets (plus Walter and the Muppets Most Wanted characters). Or if he is in there but they didn't include the section here out of fear that fans wouldn't buy it if they knew he was in the book (I doubt that).

So it was said that this book will have 200 pages. Each character will have a page, so it'll be close to 200 characters, unless some of the more major characters get multiple pages. But then there'll probably be an introduction chapter and/or forward. Maybe also an index (though with them all in alphabetical order an index would be redundant).

When the book is completed and closer to its release date I sure hope that we get some sample pages as they will be released (and not mock-ups).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would think that Andy and Randy pig would be on one page. Just like I think Staler and Waldorf would be on one page, along with Bunsen and Beaker. I do hope that they give the band members there own separate pages.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
So many gripes. Wow! I have a feeling if it were perfect that people would still grumble about the font choice. I never thought this would be the holy grail of Muppetology and it isn't, but it's much better than I imagined. That's how the character guides from this particular company work. In fact, this looks better than most of their efforts. As a graphic designer, illustrator and Muppet fan, what I've seen so far gets my stamp of approval. :jim:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would think that Andy and Randy pig would be on one page. Just like I think Staler and Waldorf would be on one page, along with Bunsen and Beaker. I do hope that they give the band members there own separate pages.

Well we know that Andy and Randy will be on one page, and I assume most duos will as well (at least the duos where it would be weird to see one without the other). But if I did this I would put Bunsen and Beaker separately.

So we have about three more months. Maybe I should skip Christmas and get myself frozen until this books release.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize the character's name is "Angus McGonagle", not "McGonacle"? Dunno if that's how his name is being spelled in the book, and if it is spelled that way then it's an oversight on the publishers.

Also, if the book is meant to present the characters in alphabetical order, Afghan Hound and Andy & Randy Pig should be listed/featured before Angel Marie and Angus McGonagle.

As great as this release sounds, I'm not sure if I personally would purchase it when I can get basically the same information from Muppet Wiki. *Shrugs. Hopefully this paves the way for character encyclopedias for other Henson productions.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It would have been interesting if they had asked someone from Muppet Wiki to help with the book, but I don't think they did.
Sesame Workshop has a pretty good character listing page as well. The only one who is not on there page is Kermit, but that is understandable. What I like about SW's list is that they have who the character's friends are.
As far as the book itself, I can understand making it. I think that for a family that has the parents who are familiar with the Muppets, and introducing there kids to the Muppets, this book would be a great way to help do so. Because it will show past and present characters, and parents can show who their favorites are, and why, Then the younger crowd can learn about them and decide if they like them as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was reading the tough pigs forum about this and one of the members has some secret inside information. He was told that the cover was supposed to have different characters and word balloons (so maybe this isn't the final cover, or maybe they changed their minds), and that this book won't have any behind-the-scenes facts, just on-screen facts. I wonder if there'll be any made-up facts or back stories about the many minor characters who there's not much to write about.

You do realize the character's name is "Angus McGonagle", not "McGonacle"? Dunno if that's how his name is being spelled in the book, and if it is spelled that way then it's an oversight on the publishers.

I guess I've never really paid attention to the spelling of his last name. But he wouldn't be the first character whose name spelling I got wrong for years. In fact I still have trouble remembering if it's spelled "Uncle Deadly" or "Uncle Deadley", or if the spelling is "Lew Zealand" or "Zeland".

Drtooth

Reaction score
So many gripes. Wow! I have a feeling if it were perfect that people would still grumble about the font choice. I never thought this would be the holy grail of Muppetology and it isn't, but it's much better than I imagined. That's how the character guides from this particular company work. In fact, this looks better than most of their efforts. As a graphic designer, illustrator and Muppet fan, what I've seen so far gets my stamp of approval. :jim:
As I've stated before, somewhere down the line we became impossible to please, when back in 2004, we were eagerly picking up Uno Card sets with the Chef holding the handle of a poorly photoshopped out whisk and air fresheners. :rolleyes: I see nothing that wasn't in the 40th Sesame Street book (the cover was far worse... and don't give me the "it's a scrapbook" excuse... Cookie Monster towering over most of the cast and a teeny tiny Herry) and this looks like a pretty comprehensive book. It's going to have some errors. There has never been an error free guide book of any franchise. There have been ones that were completely screwed up, but none of them were Muppet related.

The book mockups are just that. Mockups. Misspellings, gibberish text, incorrect first appearances... all just a dummy book to see how this thing's going to look in print. It will clearly be improved upon by the time of release. It's not due out for 3 months, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.