The Muppets Character Encyclopedia coming Feb. 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though my main Muppet info source is the Wiki because I can actually read what they have there thanks to my screenreader, I might end up buying the Muppet Character Encyclopedia (MCE) for the better quality photos of the individual characters. Again, I'd hope this release leads to additional MCE's like one for Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, and the other various Henson productions either as a whole or separately when applicable like Dinosaurs or Big Blue House. :jim:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The first several times I read the description at Muppet Wiki I thought it had said that the book is 200 pages, but after rereading it over and over recently I noticed I am wrong, it actually says 200 characters (I hope that every character who has to share a page with others, whether as a duo or a group, isn't counted individually). Actually I don't know if I misread that or if the Muppet Wiki page was edited to say 200 characters (perhaps as more info was revealed), I might have to check the edit history.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The first several times I read the description at Muppet Wiki I thought it had said that the book is 200 pages, but after rereading it over and over recently I noticed I am wrong, it actually says 200 characters (I hope that every character who has to share a page with others, whether as a duo or a group, isn't counted individually). Actually I don't know if I misread that or if the Muppet Wiki page was edited to say 200 characters (perhaps as more info was revealed), I might have to check the edit history.
This is how it it listed:

The Muppets Character Encyclopedia is a forthcoming 200-page book featuring more than 600 full-color photographs from the Henson Archives.
Publisher Description

Did you know that Miss Piggy was raised on a farm and has two nephews named Randy and Andy? Or that Gonzo's girlfriend, Camilla the Chicken, can be simply identified by the color of her eyes — they're blue!
From Kermit the Frog, to Animal and Fozzie Bear, the gang's all here in The Muppets Character Encyclopedia, the perfect introduction to the Muppets. Each page of this fun and friendly guide features a different Muppet profile packed with tons of interesting facts about these beloved characters. With full bios of the characters from the new 2014 movie, The Muppets Character Encyclopedia is essential for any Muppet fan.
The most sensational, inspirational, Muppetational character encyclopedia ever! Play the music, light the lights, and meet all your favourite characters from the Muppets in The Muppets Character Encyclopedia. From Animal to Zoot, meet over 200 of the most memorable and best-loved Muppet characters from the 1970s to the present day. Packed with facts about Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, The Swedish Chef, and all their wild and wacky buddies. Featuring full-colour images of each Muppets character with annotations. Fact files provide info on each character (and some little known facts), including their role in the Muppets pantheon and details of their first appearance. The Muppets Character Encyclopedia is a must-have for new fans eager for background on their new favourite Muppets as well as older fans wanting to relive the original TV series.

So, my guess is that the 200 pages is an approximation required to sell the idea to the publisher. It could be more or less. Probably more. The math breaks down like this:
200 pages x 3 photos per-page = 600 photographs
Statler & Waldorf will likely share a page (Astoria will probably be a footnote on that page), Muppet food will probably get its own page and the Koozebanians will likely get their own page too (possibly with other aliens) and so on. Such groupings will undoubtedly increase the noted character count well-over 200. Basically, don't worry. We're likely getting a fairly comprehensive list designed to fit into a limited number of pages. This will probably make uber-fans balk, but did anyone realistically expect some sort of 1000 page book of Muppets? Really?​

Drtooth

Reaction score
Statler & Waldorf will likely share a page (Astoria will probably be a footnote on that page), Muppet food will probably get its own page and the Koozebanians will likely get their own page too (possibly with other aliens) and so on. Such groupings will undoubtedly increase the noted character count well-over 200. Basically, don't worry. We're likely getting a fairly comprehensive list designed to fit into a limited number of pages. This will probably make uber-fans balk, but did anyone realistically expect some sort of 1000 page book of Muppets? Really?​
You mean we're not going to get a 1000 page book? Disney really must hate us to not give a 3 page spread to "Any Old Iron One Eyed Background Singer." Fail. :coy:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Hmmm...I'd go with the other cover. That's one weird looking pig.

If they are going to cut up and paste modern photography of the characters together, then I'd use this as the centerpiece.
But an unadulterated version of this would be my first choice for a classic photo:
Maybe even this:
Or better yet, just go with this look that they used for a makeup set last year:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
To be honest the book cover dosnt matrer to much whats inside is the best part
The wiki is in-depth enough that a book isn't really needed at all. That means this release is about the packaging as much as the content. So the cover art may not matter to you, but it matters to other fans. Some people might say that none of it matters. :embarrassed:

Status
Not open for further replies.