The Muppets From Space debacle

Drtooth

Reaction score
As most Muppet fans would agree, Muppets from Space might be their least favorite Muppet Movie. I, on the other hand, couldn't really judge what an "awful" Muppet Movie is, since even at their worst, they're pretty good. All that aside, I think I know why people didn't like it so much: First of all, This is possibly the "Star Wars Episode One" of the Muppet films. Something about it didn't "gel" with thee public. Mainly some of the expectation were crushed.
Secondly, The music was a key factor. Every Muppet movie has original song, except for this one. These songs best accentuate the Muppets. From Wackyness (Happiness Hotel GMC or Cabin Fever, MTI), to catchy (Moving Right Along, TMM), and even heartfelt (Rainbow Connection, TMM). MFS only had a 70's Funk track. It's good Music, but It doesn't exactly scream Muppets. It's more like a 1970's Blaxploitation flick that way. Third, new puppeteers. Frank Oz, as usual, was directing a movie at the time, so like fifteen people had to fill in (noticibly). And of course, the whole plot. Though revealing Gonzo's an alien (I spoke to people and before the movie, some actually thought he was an alien!) may answer questions, it does delete the mystery of the characteer. The same thing could be done about revealing Nanny's face. I once saw the face of Dr. Claw (from Inspector Gadget), and was disappointed. I was like, Okay, now that I know that, the mystique of the character is gone. ----------------------------------------------------------
HOWEVER
there are a few good things about the Movie: Many calssic Muppets made, at least, a cameo apperance. It was the first (but hopefully not only) movie to feature Pepe the Prawn, okay. It was the Muppets, most of all. And it was the best Family movie of the summer (the competition was the Live action Inspector Gadget, Tarzan, and ...I can't think of the rest. They blended into the background!) and it featured F. Murray Abraham.....F. MURRAY ABRAHAM!!!!! (Simpson fans would get that). Not to mention another Big role for Bunsen and Beaker. But to each his own I suppose!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
DR CLAW:::
You saw his face in the cartoon or the live-action film? In the live action film I was disappointed that they made such a sissy out of him.

I liked Muppets From Space, Muppets Treasure Island, and Muppet Christmas Carol...but, I'm weird anyhow.

We won't discuss Muppet Babies in this thread.

Later,
FOZ

Salmoto

Reaction score
The thing about MFS was that they just re-introduced the Muppets with new characters with new relationships between characters during Muppets Tonight and they needed to make something that was an extention of that. THe problem is, compared to classic Muppet movies, the chemistry between Pepe and Kermit is not as good as the relationship between Fozzie and Kermit. MFS has a TON of Muppets in it, and it's hard to keep up. Some old characters only had cameo roles (Dr. Teeth and the Sweedish Chef.) Some old characters hog the spotlight (Gonzo and Piggy) Some new characters had cameo roles (Johnny Fiamma and Sal) while some new characters hogged the spotlight (Pepe and Clifford.)

If you consider "Muppets From Space" a movie along the lines of "The Great Muppet Caper," then it truly does pale in comparison with the previous films. I like to consider MFS a "Muppets Tonight" movie. The problem most fans have with MFS and even MT is it doesn't quite have that classic flavor. Well, you're right: It isn't classic, it's full of new characters who are busy finding themselves in this Muppet World, and just like you gave Gonzo a chance to grow throught the first season of the original Muppet show, it's time to let all the newbies grow and develop into prominent Muppets themselves.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
it's full of new characters who are busy finding themselves in this Muppet World..."

"...and just like you gave Gonzo a chance to grow throught the first season of the original Muppet show, it's time to let all the newbies grow and develop into prominent Muppets themselves."

That's the same advice my child psychologist told my mom about me...

Gonzo

Reaction score
Muppets From Space definitely had a few things going for it, and had some strong moments...but the few strong moments didn't carry the movie through the rest of the very uneven spots. I loved the boarding house scenes, and there are some wonderful character moments, but without original music and a more coherent story (and some of those cameos really had to go), it definitely ranks at the bottom of the list.

As far as "even the worst Muppet movie is still pretty good," if the choice were either 1) there would be more Muppet movies, all at the same quality level as MFS......or 2) no more Muppet movies, EVER.... I would take number two. (not take A Number Two...)

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

matleo

Reaction score
I have to agree with Quinn. I walked out tof MFS not caring if I ever saw another Muppet movie at all. It wasnt tjust that it was a bad Muppet movie..it was a bad movie with few funny moments and a it was hacked to shreds in the editing room. I bet if editied right it cou have been a far more interesting film, but I found it bounced around too much. it moved with the pace of a Saturday morning cartoon show eager to cram as much in before the next commercial break and not made like a film where you can take time to set you're story up and make us care for the characters. it bounced back and for the between being Gonzo's movie and being Jeffrey Tambor's movie. I have moe thoughts on the movie and my problems with it, but sadly have to run now. Perhaps, I can share some more thoughts later.

--Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
To Fozzie
The Dr.CLaw face I saw was the Cartoon version. HE had an action figure. He is a sinister looking guy with ghost white hair, and an evil scowl. Of course the action figure was "cartoony" and the mystery was gone. And I agree. Gadget the movie was'nt so hot. I like Mathew Broderick, but he is NOOOO Don Adams!

Drtooth

Reaction score
But anyway, as with Quin and Matleo, I'd have to say I'd like more movies just as long as we get some better writing! I did like the movie, but at the same time, I thought it was weak. But there have been worse movies, let me tick them off for you,
Bubble Boy!
That thing with Chris Katan as a Mafia guy... no... anything with Chris Katan!!
Any movie you find in syndication on a Sunday afternoon!
Barney! No one can stand five minutes of him, so who's idea was it to make parents stay for a whole hour an' a half!
Any teen Movie (they're like bad episodes of Saved by the Bell, only with more poop jokes).
Not to mention Freddy gets Fingered.
ANd, of course, D-DOUBLE TAKE!!!
But I must sympathise witrh you. If they become any worse than MFS, I don't think I'd see them. I just hope Kermit's Swamp Years is better!

Salmoto

Reaction score
"Kermit's Swamp Years" is gonna be great. Getting back to muppet basics, putting together all of those stories Kermit ever told about his youth and putting it into a movie. Perhaps after this one is over they can look into the background of another Muppet star. Go back and do Gonzo's origin right.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope so!!! But don't get me wrong, I liked MFS a lot more than anyone here.