1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Muppets Go To The Movies

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by MissMusical12, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

I just watched the whole special on Youtube a while ago. I thought it was pretty awesome. (If I'm correct, I believe this special was to help promote The Great Muppet Caper.) I'm just wondering what thoughts you all have on this TV special.

****SPOILERS****
    My favorite parts in this special were.....
    *"Silent Strawberries" (The foreign film. I couldn't help but laugh at this part. I just couldn't help it. Loved the interaction between Beaker and The Swedish Chef, though. Never thought I'd hear the day Sam says anything like "Wocka wocka wocka" even if it was part of the foreign film's English script. :laugh: )
    *"The Wizard Of Oz" (To quote Janice "I love Oz. I may move there." :flirt: I had a feeling Fozzie and Gonzo as The Lion and Tinman foreshadowed them playing the same roles in "Muppets Wizard Of Oz." Although, I kinda would've like Scooter to play the Scarecrow in "Muppets Wizard of Oz" Janice would've made a cute Dorothy, but we all knew Miss Piggy wasn't going to give that up so easily.)
    *"Tropical Heatwave" (Bring on the big musical number for Miss Piggy! And I love the penguins. :zany::zany:),
    *"Act Naturally" (This was beautifully sung and probably one of the best numbers Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt have performed together. I couldn't help but say "Awwwwwwwww" when Floyd kissed Janice on the cheek. :sing::flirt: )
    * "Tarzan and Jane" (I thought I was expecting someone like Link to play Tarzan. But when Gonzo came out as Tarzan, that just made it funnier for it's 30 something seconds or so....)
  2. brkndwnbus Active Member

This is one of my favorite things the Muppets have done. I really enjoy watching this. "The Wizard of Oz" skit was really good, as was "The Three Musketeers" and "Casablanca."

I laugh the most probably at the beginning as Fozzie spells the Muppets wrong and Kermit corrects the announcer.

Looking back, with Kermit locking up the theater at the end of the night, it could have been a good way to end "The Muppet Show."
    mupcollector1 and MissMusical12 like this.
  3. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

I love this special. Ironicly I was going to put up a thread about this special because to me, this is the final Muppet Show episode because it's the same set.

I love the Heatwave musical number, great musical score. Was it Jack Parnell the Muppet Show music guy?

But the one that cracked me up the most was "Silent Strawberries" lol Anytime Sam is upstaged, it's one of the funniest things about The Muppets. lol Because he's so dang serious. lol Unlike today of course. :attitude:

Also Mulch returns and basically his final appearance until his comeback on Muppets Tonight. "Hot Cross Bunnies? I just got it!" lol

I think I have that special on my ipod, if not I got to put it back on there. I have a copy of it when it was taped off of Nickelodeon (aka My generation lol). And I transmited the VHS to DVD. :)

Probably one of the top 5 best Muppet Specials ever. I would love to say #1 but then I would have to think of all the specials just to make sure. lol

So much good stuff on there. Link as the Stupid one "quoted by Scooter" in The Three Muskateers parody

Also here's a little inside gag, read the credits.....Gummo Birdman is in the credits under writers I think. lol

But yeah, to me this special has a special place in my heart because to me, this was the final bow and final curtain to the original Muppet Show. :)
    brkndwnbus and MissMusical12 like this.
  4. brkndwnbus Active Member

Nicely said. I feel the same. It puts a nice ending to 'The Muppet Show" for me. I have this on my ipod, too, so I can watch it anytime I am in the mood for something Muppets.

The upstaging of Sam is well done. Watching him read the narration is very funny.
    MissMusical12 likes this.
  5. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

I agree!!! I can't help but crack up at that part!
    brkndwnbus likes this.
  6. heralde Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. I was obsessed with this special when I saw it as a kid on Nickelodeon. I even convinced my Dad to do a couple of the skits with me for my Mom, lol.
  7. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Which ones did you do?
  8. heralde Well-Known Member

I remember doing the opening song, the Three Musketeers, the haunted house, the WWII sketch. May have done a couple of others. I even typed out the scripts for my Dad to read. I still can't believe it frankly, lol.
  9. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite Muppet specials, right up there with A Muppet Family Christmas, Muppets at Walt Disney World, and The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.

A lot of people see this as promotion for The Great Muppet Caper, but I don't see it. It has three clips from the movie and a new performance of Hey a Movie! (plus an instrumental version plays at the end), and that's it.

Pros:
    • The opening rendition of "Hey a Movie!" I wonder if the use of various film clips here (in addition to music rights, perhaps) is what's kept it from having video releases in the U.S.
    • The Three Muskateers, Wizard of Oz, Silent Strawberries, Tarzan, and the closing segment.
    • The show-stopping finale, including a grand shot of the outside of the theater.

Cons:
    • No Bunsen, Dr. Teeth, Lips, Louis Kazagger, or large monsters (though Bunsen and Dr. Teeth can both be glimpsed in The Muppet Movie finale clip and the Beauregard taxi-driving clip). And I can't remember if Zoot appears.
    • Only whatnots in the western sketch? I would have preferred the jugband to have been used here.
    • At the end, as the camera pans past the stage, we can sort of see the orchestra, but there's so many other characters in front of view. This would have been a way to see Lips, but all those characters blocking the orchestra, the only musicians we see there are Animal (and maybe Nigel... Can't quite tell if I actually see him conducting or not). I wonder if they actually had performers performing musicians, though Floyd is among the group of characters standing in front of the orchestra.
  10. heralde Well-Known Member

I do think it was being used as a promotion. Especially when Piggy makes a big point of saying "that Fred Astaire tribute you did in The Great Muppet Caper!" It just had that vibe of "hint hint, go see our movie!" Lol
  11. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Anyone know it's on DVD? Unfortunately it's dubbed in a foreign language. If I owned it I would copy the HQ footage and take the audio from my taped from TV copy with an editing program to remaster it fan made. But hopefully Disney will distribute it after Seasons 4 and 5 are released. Sounds like a good special feature for season 5 next to the Muppets And Men Documentry. :) Special Features RULE! :)
  12. Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Loved "The Muffets Muppets go to the Movies. One of the Muppets' funniest TV specials. And yes, it was meant to promot GMC. There was a special that promoted TMM, which is "Muppets go Hollywood". An... interesting special. My main problem with Muppets go Hollywood was that there seemed to be too much attention given to the celebrity guest stars, and not enough to the Muppets. Then again, it was one of the first Muppet TV specials (not counting all of the pre-Muppet Show specials). There still are a good deal of fun things in it, though. Sam collecting autographs, Animal going after all of the female guests, Miss Piggy singing "Baby face/I've got the cutest little baby face", Johnny Mathis' version of "Never Before, Never Again", Statler and Waldorf's, comments, etc.
  13. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, given that it aired before the movie came out, all the clips are "sneak peaks" of GMC. And Kermit says at one point it's "our new movie."
    heralde likes this.
  14. heralde Well-Known Member

Very true and Muppets Go the Movies handled it much better. I loved both Dudley Moore and Lily Tomlin in this.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  15. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

It's a little off subject but speaking of Dudley Moore, I still need to see that Aurther movie. I haven't seen it, the only thing I know about is was when I showed my mother a clip from The Critic when they spoofed him, she told me that it was spoofing that movie.

Now does that movie have as much funny British humor as this parody? I'm just curious.
    Anyway sorry for going off subject, But since I remember Dudley Moore was in it, I figure I just bring it up. Plus Dudley Moore had a Muppet Show episode right? Mamma the musical R2D2? "Hey look, it's a musical garbage can, playin' musical garbage lol" One of my top favorite quotes from TMS lol
    I noticed that the very ending when Animal comes up to Mamma is always edited out. I might have seen it once as a kid. Does Animal kick the robot and it brakes again, at the very end of the credits?

And wasn't Lily Tomlin that same lady that kept playing that telephone operator that was all over TV not to mention a few Muppet and Sesame Specials? Where did that originate, SNL? Probably before my time .lol
  16. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

lol couldn't resist. lol Probably my favorite part of the special.

But what I forgot to mention is that this sort of thing happened to Sam twice on TMS lol

17. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Fozzie: I never could spell. lol Remember the scene with Link and the Gong. lol Classic. ;p
  18. AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Dude! What about the Ben Hur tribute with Dudley Moore as Ceaser playing the piano while Gonzo, Lew Zeland and Beauregard did a chariot race around him in circles? Oh, and instead of horses, they used chickens, fish and rats retrospectively? Remember that, huh?!
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  19. Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yep, and in the next backstage scene, Rizzo and his rat buddies complained about how the rats were depicted in the Ceaser parody.

Also, during one of the backstage scenes (I think it's the one where Kermit talks to Beau about the taxi scene in GMC), look carefully in the background. Gaffer the Cat is trying to eat Rizzo! She slowly pulls Rizzo's towards her, and at the last minute, Rizzo slides away from her. This was no doubt Kathy Mullen and Steve Whitmire just goofing around.
  20. AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Oh, my goodness! I didn't notice that before! LOL! :)