1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Muppets "Jump The Shark"

Discussion in 'On the Web' started by Vic Romano, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

For those of you who don't know what "Jump the Shark" means; A quick description: "Jumping the Shark" is when a television series begins to go bad and/or sells out and really just starts to no longer be the good show it started out to be. The term "Jump the Shark" hails from "Happy Days" when the Fonz gets on his motorcycle to actually "jump a shark". That episode seems to be agreed by many when the show started it's downhill spiral.

Now about this thread There's a website called "jumptheshark.com" that allows people to vote on when their favorite shows may have jumped. I'd post a URL link to it, but the site www.jumptheshark.com has it set-up that individual pages don't actually have web addresses, but they do have listings on "The Muppet Show", "Sesame Street", "Muppets Tonight", etc. so I thought I'd post 'em here and get your thoughts on if any of our favorite Muppet shows actually did or did not jump the shark! So:

The Muppet Show
    Never Jumped - Got 66 votes
    Guest Hosts - Got 3 votes
    They tone down the violence - Got 2 votes
    When Alice Cooper guest starred - Also got 2 votes
    When Robin appeared, Fozzie got demoted, Beeker started showing up less frequently, and Statler & Waldorf 'got nicer' - Are all one votes a piece that made the list.
    There are a ton of other thoughts (too numerous to list) that also made it on there.

Sesame Street This got LOTS of different votes, check this out:
    Elmo 122 votes!
    Never Jumped 49 votes
    Everyone can see Snuffy 26 votes
    They changed the opening theme 18 votes
    Death of Jim Henson 16 votes
    Death of Mr. Hooper 10 votes
    Dumbing it down 9 votes
    HIV positive Muppets 6 votes
    David disappears 5 votes
    Baby Bear 3 votes
    Same character/different actor - Gordon 2 votes
    Special Guest Star (Tim McGraw and Faith Hill) 2 votes
    Journey to Ernie 2 votes
    And the following all got one vote: Same Character/Different Actor (Susan), Singing (The Count), I grew up, Same Actor/Different Character (Olivia), Bert is Evil, The Seventh Seal, Birth (Miles), U.S. Cultural Imperialism, The color of Oscar's fur changes, Singing (Cookie raps), Not That There's Anything Wrong With It (Ernie and Bert), They got rid of the Children's Television Workshop at the end, The 90's, They started ignoring Canada, They sell out, It tried to be bilingual, They got rid of the vintage stuff, Special Guest Star (Robin Williams), Need more Ernie, Oscar goes soft, Special Guest Star (Goo Goo Dolls), The twiddlebugs disappear, Kermit hosts The Muppet Show, Rosita, It got too PC, Monster Clubhouse, The 2002 Season, No storms after the Count counts, The twiddlebugs disappear

Now obviously some of these are a little vague and bias, but what do you think? I'll post other shows later.
  2. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

3. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Wow, this is really interesting! I can't believe Elmo got so many votes, but yet I also can believe it. I think it's interesting that the death of Jim Henson and the death of Mr. Hooper got votes when they were circumstances beyond the producers control. It's not like the producers said "hey let's kill off Mr. Hooper" so I'm not sure if that qualifys for truly jumping the shark, but oh well. It's still a really interesting list to say the least! Thanks for digging that up Vic Romano!
  4. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

I love Jump The Shark, and Bored.com in general! I also like GuessTheName.com
  5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Oh! Bored.com Is Awesome!!!!!
  6. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Muppets Tonight
    Never Jumped 13 votes
    Jumped from Day One 5 votes
    Kermit Doesn't Host 3 votes
    Ms. Piggy Takes Over 1 vote

The Jim Henson Hour
    Never Jumped 5 votes
    This is one of the very few shows on jumptheshark.com that recieved no votes for jumping of any kind. The following is a comment that pretty much sums up all the thoughts of those who voted:
    This show was Jim's attempt to bring back the Muppets 8 years after the Muppet Show ended. Commercially it failed, but artistically it was one of his greatest achievements. The first half was a Muppet Show type thing, but the second half was a Labyrinth type thing. And they were both always brilliant. I can't believe this was cancelled for Baywatch.

Fraggle Rock
    Never Jumped 46 votes
    Jumped from Day One 3 votes
    Naked Doozers 2 votes
    The following all recieved one vote a piece: The opening theme ended, Everyone became friends, I got scared, The Weeba Beast chant, The Trash Heap goes PC and The séance
  7. DanDanStrawberry

I've forgotten the name of the actual site, but a branch of Bored.com is where you type in a web address and it translates it into Swedish Chef language which I think is awesome!!
  8. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

http://www.rinkwerks.com/
    There you go Dan. Go to Dialectizer on that site & it has our ol' pal The Swedish Chef! :D
  9. Banjo Matt

Banjo Matt New Member

Even google has his own Chef-based site:

Bork! :)

See ya,
    Matt.
  10. DanDanStrawberry

Thanks babe!! That rules!!
  11. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

Sesame Street jumped when Elmo took over the show
  12. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

That's a really cool site! I was looking at other shows too.
  13. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

I'm just sort of thinking, trying to figure out how the muppets could jump the shark.

Let's see, it would be physically impossible for them all to jump at once. So Gonzo would try to push them all into his cannon. But then some one would point out that if they were all in the cannon, no one could light the fuse. So Crazy Harry would stay behind to light the fuse, because... well, he's Crazy Harry. So it then it would be time for everybody to get into the cannon, but of course, Miss Piggy wouldn't fit, she would get stuck, and the usual chaos would ensue.

At about this point, we would see Statler and Waldorf sitting off to the side, and they would say that of course the muppets were having trouble jumping the shark- they were already as bad as it gets.

So they would eventually get Miss Piggy un-stuck from the cannon, and everybody would get out and try to come up with a plan b. They would end up taking Fozzie's suggestion- ask the shark for advice on how to jump it. And why not, they don't have anything to lose.

So it turns out that the shark is a female singing shark who has always wanted to make her big break in television. She would then, of course, start singing to prove her talent (or rather lack thereof), and start flirting with Kermit to try to get on the muppet show. And as Kermit starts to explain that the muppet show wasn't on the air anymore, the shark makes one last attempt to win Kermit's favor by kissing him on the cheek.

This, of course, is the biggest mistake the shark could possibly make, seeing as Miss Piggy is right next to her. The shark is, of course, very powerfully karate-chopped. So powerfully, in fact, that- well- the shark jumps the muppets!

It ends with a bang as Crazy Harry finds some dynamite lying around.....

Hm, need a way to get the Electric Mayhem into it. Well, Animal would of course shout "JUMP SHARK! JUMP SHARK!" at some point. And while Miss Piggy is stuck in the cannon, everybody gets a chance to take a jab at her about her weight WITHOUT getting karate-chopped. :mad: . Let's see, we need some penguins, of course. :zany: Maybe they'll all be trying to show the muppets how easy it is to jump the shark.

You know, I just might be putting too much thought into this. Meh, it's possible. Or I could just be doing an excellent job of procrastinating my homework to after dinner. Which has just been announced. So I will leave you with this sampling of my insanity.
  14. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I second that emotion. :)
  15. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

16. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

You got me, I just quote the site!
  17. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Searching down for the specific comments on jumptheshark.com I see one person says, "In 1985, Alaina Reed, who played Olivia, left to play Rose on 227." So that would be a different character but because she went to another show, which is hardly the same thing as if SS switched Olivia's character to someone else on the show. So to be accurate the person shoould have said SS jumped the shark when Alaina Reed LEFT the show.

And for the one on Susan the person commented, "They switched the actress who played Susan, Gordon's wife. And then they switched back! I think they switched Gordon's too." I never heard of this happening and all the listings of SS cast members I've ever seen never list a different actress for Susan at any time. But seeing as how this person then went on to say, "I THINK they switched Gordon's too" (something that is very common knowledge. Not only 2 but 3 different Gordons) this person was probably just misinformed.

Makes you wonder if jumptheshark permits anyone to say anything even if it is a certainty that the statement is false. For instance, if a person said SS jumped the shark when they changed Bert's yellow color to green, that would obviously be false information. But they probably allow it to be submitted since it is still technically that person's opinion for why the show jumped, howver absurd or incorrect it may be.
  18. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

Oh, Lisa...

Send in some script to Brian, because you really understand the Muppets. I'll be doing the same sometime soon.
  19. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Oh my!
  20. HPDJ

HPDJ Member