The music played on the Show

dinoboy

Reaction score
I was very curious on what musical instrument was used during the playing of the ending theme of the show back in the 1970's that was heard during the nightime episodes. Besides the musicbox like sound you heard in the background, they had played an instrument called the celesta, which looks like a piano, but plays chime-like bells instead. You probably heard this during some early skits like during the movie skit when Ernie got and idea on how to view the movie, when a lady infrot of him was wearing a giant hat. I never knew what that instrument was and it took some searching to find what it looked like. What other kinds of musical insturments did they use to play the music during the early episodes. I also found out that the honky-tonk piano was played during the mad number painter movie skits, which sounded fun to me. Not to mention the dream-like sound of the sitar was heard during the classic animated skit of the guy from India counting on his fingers, then revealing extra arms to extend his counting to 20.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I know that Joe Raposo used the flute and xylophone (or is it a glockenspiel?) heavily in his songs.

The Madrigal Alphabet sketch also used an instrument at 1:02 called a crumhorn, which sounds like a kazoo. The crumhorn was commonly used during the Renaissance period.