The mysteries of the universe.

Gloworm

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you could answer my questions, I have many and they are most puzzling.

First: How come clouds are solid when they are liquid, I mean, it's like they stay together as one object but also are made of water. What happened to the water to make it float?

Second:For time travel to work, where would the time it takes to get from one part of time to another come from?

Third: Can teenegers fall in love or is it always just a crush?

Fourth (and finally for now):who decided how long each unit of time would be? Who split up the days into second and hours and minutes and miliseconds and nanoseconds ect. and how did they do it? how did they decide?

If anyone has any theories, answers or even more questions on the mysteries of the universe (philosophical, point making or stupid) I would love to hear them. As I hope other on this merry ol' site would too.
Blue skies
Glo

Zondra

Reaction score
Gloworm said:
I was just wondering if any of you could answer my questions, I have many and they are most puzzling.

First: How come clouds are solid when they are liquid, I mean, it's like they stay together as one object but also are made of water. What happened to the water to make it float?

Second:For time travel to work, where would the time it takes to get from one part of time to another come from?

Fourth (and finally for now):who decided how long each unit of time would be? Who split up the days into second and hours and minutes and miliseconds and nanoseconds ect. and how did they do it? how did they decide?

If anyone has any theories, answers or even more questions on the mysteries of the universe (philosophical, point making or stupid) I would love to hear them. As I hope other on this merry ol' site would too.
Blue skies
Glo
LOL...this is insane. Luckily, I am equally insane.

1) Clouds float because of air currents. You know they're evaporated water, right? Yes. Hot and cold air currents and fronts are constantly tearing at them...the cold ones keeping them watery and the hot ones keeping them nicely evaporated for the most efficient float. LOL...this sounds most logical to me.
3) Love is possible for teenagers. I know a couple that met at age 16, got married after I think, 3 months, and now are in their late 40's and EXTREMELY happy together, as friends and lovers. If that's not love, I don't know what is.
4)No one person decided. The moon mainly decided, lol, our measurements of hours, days, weeks, months, etc. is measured by the movements of the moon around the earth and such. I don't want to get into it. lol!!!

and as for #2, I try to stay out of that whole "Time Travel" dealy. I believe it to be one of the most faulty ideals ever conceived by humanity...at the same time, I think TV sitcoms and reality shows also fall into that category. Ahh, the joys of being completely out of my mind...

The Narrator

Reaction score
Gloworm said:
I have many questions as well, but they many have to do with how jello works and why someone thought that hooves would taste good.
Gloworm said:
When water vapors rise through the atmosphere, they attache to dust--it's this combination of "clean" dust and crystalized water (when it reaches a high enough altitude to freeze the vapor) that makes clouds visible. Water vapors themselves are invisble, so we don't see the clouds rising.
Gloworm said:
If I remember my Einstein correctly, it shouldn't take any time to move from one part of time to another. It may take time for whatever process that instantiates the time travel to "fire," but the actual travel through time should not exist.
Gloworm said:
Personally, I've always felt that love starts as a crush or puppy-love or lust as something besides love itself. Love is what transpires when the physical and chemical connections wear off and humans still find the desire to stay together. But there's a whole conversation about love in and of itself waiting in the wings.
Gloworm said:
Okay, I had to search the web, but this is the closest I could get Midway Media. As early as the ice age there were time-keeping methods, but as far as the actual concept of "hours," I couldn't find a culture which history deemed responsible. Edited to add: this link which indicates that the shadow angle on a sundial would move 15 degrees per hour. Since 15 degrees is probably easier to locate on a circle than, say, 14.239233, the separation of day into "hours" may have had to do something with the shadow on a sundial itself.

Gloworm

Reaction score
WOW! you are soooo clever!!! I decided this morning to believe in God. You see, I suddenly realsied that I had no idea how come anything exists. I mean, I know all about particles and cells and that but how come they exist? When I realised that I couldn't figure out what happened to make everything come into existence I realised that that means that anything is possible. For example the existence of God. And as believing in God makes you happier (you belive that someone is whatching out for you), inspires you to be a better person and makes it more likely that you will go to heaven then it's a win win situation. and as for all the reasons for God not existing, I intend to ignore them. after all Ignorance is bliss!
Appreciate Frogs, they are the key to happiness.
Glo

leliebel

Reaction score
oh, and about why clouds flock togeter, the molecules of water attract each other, you can see this, because water forms drops, and not an equally spread sheen of water

and the time mesurements are realated to the the rotation of the earth, the sun, and the moon and the rotation of earth round the sun.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I've always wondered why clouds seem to bunch up around the sunset--do they all just want to turn pink? Is it some kind of warm glow that they feel, so they all seek it out?

GonzoGirl

Reaction score
Maybe the clouds are just wishing the sun pleasant dreams...or sweeping up the last of the daylight so the stars can shine more brightly....

leliebel

Reaction score
Maybe because the sun evaporates the water in the air forming the clouds?