The Myth of Xmas

Censored

Reaction score
While I'm on the subject of unknown facts about Christmas, I though I'd include the misunderstanding about "Xmas". Contrary to popular belief, the Xmas spelling is not a modern PC way of making the holiday secular, sacrilegious, or disrespectful in any way to its true meaning. The use of Xmas goes back far to the early days of Christianity. The first letter in the Greek word for "Christ" is "chi," and the Greek letter "chi" is represented by a symbol similar to the letter "X" in the modern Roman alphabet. Thus, "Xmas" is as legitimate an abbreviation for the word "Christmas" as "'Xian" is an abbreviation of the word "Christian". Xmas was never intended to be pronounced "exmas" either; it is supposed to be spoken the same as "Christmas" would be; same sound, just different spelling.

Ziffel

Reaction score
That's correct, GeeBee. I still prefer using and seeing Christmas over Xmas (helps keep the Christ in Christmas better). But I'd rather see "Merry Xmas" than "Happy Holidays" (although even there, the word holiday means "holy day" so any secular implication is not the actual meaning). :smile:

Anyway, hope you and yours are enjoying this Xmas season, GeeBee.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Interesting and here's another fact

We all know Christ wasn't born on December 25th. However, if we take a look at the opening of the gospel of John we see that John speaks of the Word becoming flesh and "dwelling" among us. (John 1:14). The word that the KJV translates as "dwelt" is a Greek translation of the Hebrew word tabernacled a word that only appears as a verb in the context of The Feast of Tabernacles.
Based on this and the story of the shepherds Christ was probably born during that feast which is around late September early October on our calendar. Now if we start in late September early October and count back 9 months we wind up in late December early January. Which means Christ was probably conceived on or near December 25th.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I would disagree with your first sentence. Some believe Jesus very well may have been born on December 25th. A case can be made for saying He may not have been born on that date or probably wasn't born on that date. But we don't know for sure. And a note on Luke 2:8 in the NIV study Bible (regarding the shepherds in the fields) says, "Does not necessarily mean it was summer, the dry season. The flocks reserved for temple sacrifice were kept in the fields near Bethlehem throughout the year."
It's really not important which day He was born (and I know you weren't saying it was). What's important is that He was born and became our redeemer. And it's nice that we have one day each year to celebrate the birthday of the greatest man who ever lived.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I would disagree with your first sentence. Some believe Jesus very well may have been born on December 25th. A case can be made for saying He may not have been born on that date or probably wasn't born on that date. But we don't know for sure. And a note on Luke 2:8 in the NIV study Bible (regarding the shepherds in the fields) says, "Does not necessarily mean it was summer, the dry season. The flocks reserved for temple sacrifice were kept in the fields near Bethlehem throughout the year."
It's really not important which day He was born (and I know you weren't saying it was). What's important is that He was born and became our redeemer. And it's nice that we have one day each year to celebrate the birthday of the greatest man who ever lived.

Amen to that, my friend! JESUS RULES!!! :smile:

Happy New Year, Ziffel. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Amen and He is coming again! I am just starting a study of Thessalonians. a book that has a lot of doctrine on His return. :smile:
Happy New Year to you too, Xerus. And thanks for your nice friendship here during 2005. :smile:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Amen

I didn't know, I had so many brothers here I thought it was just Gonzoleaper and myself. Actually I see your point Ziffel nobody really knows when Jesus was born, especially considering the dicrepancies between the ancient Jewish calendar and the modern Gregorian Calendar. Lot's of Christians also take issue with the fact that the day we celebrate Christmas corresponds with the day of a pagan holiday in honor of Talmuz. The ancient pagans honored him by sacrificing children I know that's a little bit of a touchy subject for a board such as this and the moderators are probably going to get on my case (won't be the first time), but anyway it's good that we have redeemed that holiday and are now using it to celebrate our redeemer's entrance into this world, whether through conception or birth.