1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The New "Am I the Only One" Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jun 17, 2008.

1. LadyDodgeballer New Member

TIM CURRY! AKA Long John Silver from the Muppets Treasure Island!
    [IMG]
    Piggy The Frog and Hubert like this.
  2. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Ahem...

3. Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

Also...
  4. LadyDodgeballer New Member

Am I the only one or does everyone here love how weird Tim Curry is?
    newsmanfan and heralde like this.
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Am I the only one here that posted a meme expecting a memetic response?
  6. Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

You're not the only one! :D
    LadyDodgeballer likes this.
  7. SuperGzilla12 Active Member

Oh man, you know how I feel about that. I don't have Facebook, but it happens in other places, too. (As John has seen alongside me)
  8. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Am I the only one just a tiny bit bothered by commercials that show like 2-3-4-year-olds working tablets, nooks, iPads, etc? And people are worried about teenagers being hooked on their phones and such...
  9. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Toddlers learn from devices, teens just play with them.
    Nice logic :shifty:
  10. Hubert Well-Known Member

Well, I think what's happening is that from what I've heard, there is a huge population of little kids on tablets now. Parents have them and let their kids play with them, even one of my local day cares has iPads for kids to use, since they say the games increase their vocabulary or something.

But yeah, I kinda have to worry that little kids spend too much time on electronics that they don't get as much time to create and imagine, resulting in disastrous effects.
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that hates that everytime there's a national tragedy, the only thing that gets done is Hollywood related? They constantly Bowlderize things, they pull episodes of stuff, they gut comedy shows to be respectful, and who could forget having to bring an I.D. to an R rated movie. Yet, gun control, security, caring for the mentally ill... that's just discussions we shirk off and we're not supposed to talk about until the next time it happens either?

I'm agreeing with a lot of sentiment out there... terrorist attacks forever changed airport security so you can't so much carry a bottle of water AND you get felt up to make sure you don't have a bomb strapped to your...eh... parts. But they do NOTHING when a mass shooting happens. OH! You can't be a Cosplayer when you go to the theater. That's it.

But HEY! Pulling episodes of shows the victims' families would probably never watch or not even be in the mood to watch now out of some halfbaked sense of respect... yeah... that's going to make this not happen again. That said, I commend what Warner Bros and the stars of The Dark Knight did.
    BobThePizzaBoy likes this.
  12. charlietheowl Well-Known Member

If you're using the right programs, you can create and imagine on the iPad or any electronics. I don't think there's a problem with young children using electronics as long as their usage is monitored by parents or an adult figure and they are using programs that can actually teach something.
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The internet is a place where productivity goes to die a slow, painful death. But it's not the little kids who do that. It's everyone over that age, us included. We find some website with wacky stories that we keep having to read daily, we find Youtube videos of every variety and watch them endlessly... there's too many distractions here, EVEN this site. Everyone complaining about how much kids use technology use it far more than any of those kids do. Among other things, sure, parents can watch the kids and monitor what they do online and how much time they spend, but Who Watches the Watchmen?

Guaranteed, anyone who complains about how much someone uses an iPad would spend hours on Angry Birds if one's handed to them. No matter how hard they resist, crappy and repetitive iPhone games... they're Very addictive. Especially if they're very easy. No one wants to shut off an easy video game.
  14. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Give the government SOME credit... places of business do lower their flags to half mass out of respect.
    The public doesn't WANT gun control apparently... there's two sides to that argument:
    1. People argue that people who have permits to own guns, or other personal weaponry, that they have an "angle" for owning one in the first place... like take a few years ago, I was at a gas station when the car broke down, and a gentleman offered to give us a jumpstart, he had a handgun in his belt, he had a permit to carry one (and he was an ex-cop), then this busybody lady sees the handle coming out of his belt, and she's all, "OMG!!! HE'S GOT A GUN!!! HOW DO WE KNOW HE'S NOT GONNA OPEN FIRE ON ALL OF US?!!" Because, like, why else would someone own a gun, unless they have plans to snap and open fire on everybody?
    2. Other people argue that not having guns only provokes people into other forms of crime and violence... apparently not allowing people to have guns deprives them of... something...

Hey, that may have been a service to all mankind... :)
  15. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Uh...no. People are just ignorant.

Did you ever notice that you don't have huge shootings on this scale in the south? All reports of gun violence are in the north where less people own guns. More people in the south own guns and there aren't as many mass shootings. When was the last time you ever heard of a shooting at a gun show? Gee. I wonder why :smirk:

Again, no amount of gun control is going to keep guns out of these crazy people's hands. There are plenty of outlets to get illegal guns. And stricter gun control is just going to result in crazies getting illegal guns while responsible people have to go through a whole process to buy one.

Again, it's not an issue with guns. It's an issue with people wanting to find blame in something else and not taking responsibility. NO NORMAL PERSON wakes up one day and says "I'm gonna shoot up a school." They have mental issues that were never addressed. And the family and friends are the ones who are responsible for letting it happen. They should have seen the signs and got the person help.
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Here's the argument on gun control. Doing something doesn't work, so we might as well do nothing. That's the same argument that's always put forth every single time. If it works it does, if it doesn't it doesn't. It's a LOT better than doing nothing. Sarge made a point. People who are responsible and have only a couple for hunting/sporting reasons are careful and responsible. I don't see why we can't have laws protecting responsible gun owners while keeping illegal firearms off the streets and making sure war weaponry is illegal in the hands of civilians. There's a way to make both sides happy without getting heavy handed.

The reason this kid had access to them was that his mother had them. Signs are pointing to survivalist wackjob who bought 3 assault rifles in case of the economic collapse that's never going to be as severe as the paid nutjob talking heads keep saying. After a while she knew her kid was mentally ill. Responsible owner or not, you don't keep something that potentially dangerous as far away from someone in your house who's a potential danger to themselves and others. Sell them. Get rid of the magazines. Keep them at a locker at the shooting range. I keep hearing that state has the toughest gun regulation in the country, yet how did the mother get 3 assault rifles? Yes. The kid could have attacked in various other ways. He could have got a regular shot gun that had to be constantly reloaded giving people time to escape. He could have used a knife like the guy in China (where... oh look at that, they were all injuries). Various scenarios could have played out. But the bottom line is a mentally ill person had access to dangerous fire arms that shouldn't even be legal and the mother never gave a second thought about it because she was more worried about some crazy survivalist nonsense than her own kid. School shooting nothing. Kid could have easily turned the gun on himself too. That's good parenting right there.

One last thing. I LOVE the whole "stop blaming stuff" concept. Sure, I don't like censoring movies and video games because of the millions of people who watch those things and know that there's a clear cut difference between reality and fantasy. But when we "blame" something, we're looking at different angles of what went wrong so we can learn from it. Everyone shrugs that off, says "it's an incedent that would have happened no matter what." and it happens again. We're like on, what? Our third gun tragedy of the year?
    newsmanfan likes this.
  17. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you shouldn't blame things, I'm saying people need to stop pointing fingers at an easy scapegoat and consider all the aspects and details of the situation before jumping to conclusions.
  18. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Are you kiddin'? Girl, I live in Knoxville, we have shootings ALL THE TIME: domestic shootings, school shootings, mall shootings, church shootings, hospital shootings; I occasionally hear gunshots outside my own window any time of the year (luckily, they're a distance though); we have a LOT of hoods and ghettos in this town, one of our teachers in middle school once almost got mugged by a group of gangbangers that were passing through on our schoolgrounds; and I hear tell Memphis is considerably worse than us... I hear Atlanta ain't much better either.
  19. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Well, it's never on the news. Maybe you just live in a really bad area, but where I live, at worst someone might sneak a knife into school and they are too dumb to hide it and get caught :/

Also, my friend, who has lived her entire life in the south, says that she has never heard of a shooting in the south.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but probably not on the scale where it would make news
  20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

There's finger pointing and then there's rational realizations that something isn't right. We have no power over illegal fire arms, we don't treat the mentally ill seriously, and there are little niggling details about societal problems we just don't want to look at. At least until something like this happens, and things get blown out of proportion and we're living in terrible times because it's not the imaginary TV version of the 1950's that never happened anymore.

It's always the same arguments, but the subtlety is lost completely. There is a lot of noise that makes the problem general, but everything is in hindsight.

Still, I never bought Gun Control = Take your guns away. If you're responsible, you have every right to it. Like you said, there's no shootings at gun shows because those people like owning guns and are quite responsible with them. This was irresponsibility on the mother's part. It's easy to say that's blame, but then again these tragedies always get solved in hindsight, but no one wants to work the extra mile to, not quite prevent these from ever happening again, but certainly lowing the likelihood of it happening through calm, detailed steps. Guns are usually the ones that take most of the blame, but logically, anything else you can use as a weapon gives the other person a chance to fight it off. If we can't prevent a tragedy, we can surely lessen the damage by making it slower and escapable.

That said, when these things happen, we don't do anything in hindsight. If it was a "terrorist attack" you can't even leave a bag alone for a minute.