1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The New "Am I the Only One" Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jun 17, 2008.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm sick of hearing people COMPLAIN about Miley Cyrus. I mean heck, I'm not fond of the girl either, but I'm not crying a river over her, much like I'm disgusted at gas, grocery, living prices, etc, what good are we doing just complaining about them?
  2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Oh, no eeek. Dont take that the wrong way. I wasnt complaining about Miley herself, I was complaining at disney's classification of her. Miley openly admits she is a popstar. She said so in an interview they showed on tv. I have nothing against her personally. I actually enjoy the tv show
  3. D'Snowth

No, I wasn't suggesting you were, I was just saying, in general, I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about her... it's like all this time, people have just been WAITING for her to get into some kind of scandal that would ruin her "goody two-shoes" name, then when those photos leaked of her and a gal pal at a slumber party, looking like they were wanting to make, everybody was all "Oh! I knew she was going to be a bad girl! I knew it". Her defense? She blames Satan. Even some weird guy on YouTube like "OMG! Miley Cyrus KNOWS Satan PERSONALLY? !"

What came next? Well, the Vanity Fair photo shoot where her more famous father, Billy Ray, had to leave early for some kind of previous engagement, and that's when the photographers and publisitists supposedly had her pose for those scandalous photos, thus driving more people to be all "I knew she was going to be another Lindsay Lohan! I know she'd be another Paris Hilton! These Hollywood starlets are all alike!"

Then there are people who knock her simply because she's like "white noise" because of all these other young stars who have been given their own TV shows on Disney Channel like Raven-Symone, etc; some people knock her simply because her father's famous, hence why she's famous, while others just find this whole "Hannah Montana" craze to be annoying.

Again, I'm not a fan of the girl myself, but it seems like to me that the world, for some reason, WANTS to hate her; little girls love her, obviously, but the rest of the world just seems to WANT to hate her. I don't get it.
  4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well I'm not really sick of them labeling her as one but I agree that is not real rock. The things that Disney distinguishes as different genres of music are really the exact same thing with a slight if difference to them and then they call it a different kind of music, ha! It's a marketing thing I suppose.:smirk:
  5. Sgt Floyd

I think the world just loves to hate.

IN the words of Ozzy Osbourne:

"Maybe its not too late, to learn how to love and forget how to hate"

Hehe, couldnt resist :insatiable:

(post was going to be alot longer with more lyrics, but I thought against it)
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Clip... yeah. How was the Asian antidefamation league all over the Sales Genie panda commercial, but suspiciously absent from this. It's a lot LOT more offensive than that.

All I can do IS complain about her. And I have a more valid reason than anyone else too. Her rinky dink show has killed kid's animation. It does so undeservedly well in the ratings that other networks come up with similar lousy Tweeny bopper shows.

But it really isn't her fault... I mean, Disney could have chosen any white blondish/brunette teenage chick to lip synch to crappy music written by 50 year old marketing execs. But stuff like that and High School Musical is of low quality. And I unfortunately have an ear for musicals, no matter how hard I try to get rid of it. (It's my mother's fault. And WERS college radio)

Jeez... Power Rangers didn't kill cartoons when they were popular. And they still are popular. And neither did Saved by the Bell. These things used to co-exist.

So much as I hate her, truth is, I hate these marketting execs and TV programming execs a milliondy twelve times more.
  7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for someone else to notice this! I absolutely agree and I am ashamed of Six Flags right now.

I just said this in another thread but it's amazing how we hate certain negative stereotypes in our society, yet still laugh at many others.
  8. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Clip... yeah. How was the Asian antidefamation league all over the Sales Genie panda commercial, but suspiciously absent from this. It's a lot LOT more offensive than that.[/quote]Call me ignorant, but it didn't seem all that bad to me...

I love numbers like that!
  9. heralde

Well it's just that it's making fun of an accent and making the person looked stupid. He's no longer a person but an over the top ludicrous figure to be laughed at. That's when stereotypes start to be bad, when they take away the dignity of the person.
  10. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Actually I din not laugh myself. I guess I was really thinking about laughter at the moment and must have been preoccupied with something else on the brain. Plus I've seen people scream at me on TV a million times. The thought never really ever crossed my mind that his accent was being made fun of and I didn't really look at the guy as being stupid either. I mean, I thought he certainty was a person as he looked like one, lol! And I wasn't really very much aware that anyones dignity was being taken away from them either. He was just some guy screaming to me and it's not like anyone was forcing anything down anybody throat to do this ad either. I guess I just was not looking enough into it. *shrug...*
  11. heralde

Well offensiveness is often a subjective thing. :)

And yes obviously he is a human being, hehe. I mean more that it's a ludicrous over the top persona that I've seen too often. But again, it depends on your experience and point of view.
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I see what you mean by an over the top kind of thing. But like you said, it's just how you choose to look at it based on ones experience.
  13. heralde

Right, definitely. :)

From my point of view, it's horribly offensive. But am I surprised it's there? Not at all. And I'm not setting a foot in that place until they come up with their next advertising gimic (assuming it's not worse). I just see too many things going unchecked lately.

And I'm not a politically correct person at all. I just don't like the double standards pop culture has.
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I agree that offensiveness can be a subjective thing, but some times it's just plain old sick, wrong, and well, offensive no matter how you spell it.

I and I totally agree about their being a double standard in our society, and hypocrisy as well.:p
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Not to mention too many commercials are using internet video lazy laughs.

There was another I couldn't find, and yes, it unfortunately used that Asian stereotype, but at least it was sort of kind of funny. This old guy says something like "I wanna ride that Superman coaster, but I have a moustache... what do I pay?" And while he says this he really adds a certain something in range of movement, expression and delivery of the line.

But the Asian guy in this commercial reminds me of what they were doing to Indians in recent years. They just toss a random Indian guy into the cast, make him an idiot, and make jokes about their accents. That horrible Farrley Brothers produced sit com? Idiotic Indian guy who said funny things with a funny accent. I have to say, they gave the Indian character on Big Bang Theory a lot more dignaty, and making him something more than a one dimentional accented buffoon.
  16. heralde

Yeah I mean I don't mind stereotypes per se. It's how far they go, how much of a buffoon they make the person, how grotesque it is.
  17. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, somtimes it's just taken too far and to the point where it's just plain sick.:p
  18. Sgt Floyd

I'm sick of seeing "fat people" stereotypes. *cough*wall-e*cough* *cough* refuseto seemoviecauseofthat *cough*
  19. D'Snowth

Wait a minute... I'm a fat person, what kind of "fat people stereotypes" is in that movie? I thought it was about a little robot that was supposedly accidentally left behind on some kind of deserted planet or something?
  20. Sgt Floyd

On the commercials, all the people are fat, and shown getting their...cheeks massaged (I dont think I spelled that right). Anyway, just from that I can tell. STEREOTYPE!

Back with Disney lately being pretty mean to fat people in general. You know, making a normally skinny person fat, doing the traditional "always eating" "always tired" "cant walkk" "cant run for more than 2 seconds" stereotypes.

I'm sick of it! Ok, I get it, in todays society your supposed to be skinny. Well some of us cant! The media is teaching people that its ok to make fun of fat people and skinny people are supiorior and should look down upon fat people!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, I'm done