1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The New Am I The Only One Thread

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by MikaelaMuppet, Jan 2, 2017.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I guess Facebook figures people don't need your permission to unfriend you like they do when they send you a friend request, but at the same time, yeah, it would be nice to be notified, because there's been times in the past where I'll see someone has evidently unfriended me, but have no idea who it was until I realize so-and-so is no longer on my friends list, then it'll get me to wondering why they unfriended me: was it something I said? Do they not like me anymore? And sometimes it'll be people I've known for years, so that really gets me curious as to why they decided to do that.

However, there are occasions where it's an honest mistake, that's happened a couple of times.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Usually when it happens though, I just try to let it go because I'm not the type to chase people anymore.

Like, I remember when livevideo existed, you actually got the notification that someone unfriended you. Which was nice.

3. LittleJerry92

That definitely takes a lot.

I try not to leave in general because I do have family and friends (real life and online) I'm connected to, but I do take breaks every now and then when I got stuff on my mind. Social media adds more stress when you find that you constantly have to think about stuff.

4. LittleJerry92

What I also find helpful for me is I removed the Facebook app from my phone so I'm not tempted to go on there while taking a break.

5. D'Snowth

I'm the same, but like I said, when I see that it's someone I've known fairly well for years, it makes me wonder what brought this on. But then again, granted, I don't really use Facebook much for anything other than to basically keep people updated on my original work - that and to chat with people since IM is a thing of the past.

Onto a different subject: am I the only one who sort of can't think of certain artists in terms of they used to be part of a group prior to successful solo careers? Certain iconic groups like the Beatles or Rolling Stones are exceptions, of course, but say, like, Boy George: I never think of him in terms that he was the lead singer of Culture Club, I just always think of him as Boy George and only Boy George, so when I hear certain songs like "Church of the Poison Mind," "Karma Chameleon," and "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" it's never, "oh hey, it's Culture Club!" It's always, "oh hey, it's Boy George!" Or Phil Collins: to me, he's always just Phil Collins and only Phil Collins, I never think of him as having been a part of Genesis - and I suppose that's a little more forgivable, since he wasn't always Genesis' lead vocalist.

6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I used to be on other sites besides Facebook, but left those too.

7. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

It's easy to think that. I was around wen Culture Club was brand-spanking new, and Boy George was a cultural (pardon the pun) icon. But now, just as then, many people would be hard-pressed to name the rest of the band.

And for Phil Collins' role in Genesis (btw, before he landed his Genesis gig, he did audition to be one of the Bugaloos. And like Jack Wild, did play the Artful Dodger in the stage version of "Oliver!" Helps to be short.), original vocalist Peter Gabriel was advised by their first manager/producer Jonathan King, not to be so progressive/artsy/intellectual, or Genesis would never reach a mass audience. However, once Collins took over vocal duties and put them smack dab into mainstream, top-40 pop, it was wished they would return to their progressive days that Gabriel was so brilliant at.

The records Gabriel and Collins made together: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, are still, after 40 years, some of the most brilliant albums ever made. And this is from a guy who has heard plenty.

D'Snowth likes this.
  8. LittleJerry92

Am I the only one who thinks Nina Blackwood had a really sexy voice back in the day?

Like, I hate to judge since life is unfortunate to many like that, but she did not age well at all, and considering I heard she did alot of drugs, it doesn't surprise me.

(Fran Bill did a great impression of her for Nora Nicks in NTV).

9. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Nina (I think) sounds like she has the voice of a smoker.

10. D'Snowth

Am I the only one who doesn't bother listening to podcasts? Like, at all?

11. LittleJerry92

Same brutha.

Am I the only one who thinks humor doesn't exist on this website?

12. D'Snowth

It did back in the days when most of us were still kids and hadn't grown into cynical and jaded adults. :p

13. LittleJerry92

So I've noticed even when I was on the site as bigjeffy back in '07.

If anything, my humor is essentially Jim Henson/Frank Oz-voiced wild character next to the Jim Henson/Frank Oz-voiced straight man.

14. LittleJerry92

Am I the only one who doesn't like being told to smile in pictures?

I'll be honest, I really don't. Like, if I'm with family or friends or meeting someone cool, then yeah, I'll smile. But if it's just a picture of myself.... I really don't like to smile in them.

I dunno why, but for the most part, I usually have a "Mr. Serious" look on my face when I take pictures.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  15. D'Snowth

I don't mind smiling, but one thing I never liked was how for school pictures, my mom would always insist I show my teeth - somehow, my smiles look so insincere and forced in those old school pictures trying to show as much of my teeth as possible.

On the other hand, depending on the person or the pictures, sometimes a lack of smile can make the person look so miserable . . . like Kristen Stewart, for example: it's rare that she smiles in her pictures (and she somehow figures if she does, she's "selling out" to her fans), but when she does, she's actually really cute, otherwise, she looks like she doesn't want to live on this planet.

16. LittleJerry92

I can say this.....

A smile definitely beats that god-awful kissy duck face. :grouchy:

Schfifty and fuzzygobo like this.
  17. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Seriously? What's wrong with podcasts?

18. LittleJerry92

Eh, just never really cared for them. At least music ones.

19. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Smiles beat frowns any day. But fake smiles are just as bad as fake pouty faces.
    Still, did you know it's easier to smile than to frown? Frowning uses more face muscles, so people with perpetual frowns wore their faces out. Y'see?
    I didn't always smile for high school pictures either, but from my twenties onward I tried to smile for pictures whenever I could.
    A lot of band shots catch me smiling. Not some big deranged grin, but a little Mona Lisa smile. Shows I'm actually enjoying myself, and that counts.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  20. D'Snowth

Nothing, I just don't listen to them.

I think the only time I ever bothered to actually listen to a podcast was one a friend of mine did, as he's a television historian, and he was being interviewed about how older sitcoms in previous decades relied so heavily on laugh tracks.