The New Gig

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
dietrich said:
If I can make a suggestion, why not cross over to Sesame Street where the band lands a job at Birdland with Zoot and Hoots being old friends. Bob or Gordon would see something is wrong and try to make peace between Kermit and the band. What do you think?
I was going to go with the Mayhem band meeting up with a big agent and all. I don't know what to do if Dr. Teeth and the gang landed on Sesame Street and started to play, although I'd have fun writing for Oscar!

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
The next morning, Kermit woke up, put on his robe, and walked down stairs to the breakfast table. This time, there was not musical number to start the morning like it had been before. Usually, Kermit would see Animal eating the first plate of food the Swedish Chef had brought out, but not today. Also absent from the table was Rowlf, although Kermit suspected he had already gone to the muppet theater to start working on the show like he does sometimes. Bunsen and Beaker were at the table, along with Fozzie, Rizzo, Robin, Lew Zealand, Johnny, Sal, Sam, Gonzo, and Clifford.

Zippity Zap was at the half bathroom near the stairs by the front door waiting for Link Hogthrob to finish combing his hair. Zippity Zap was getting annoyed.

"Hurry up will ya." said an annoyed Zippity Zap.

"Keep your sunglasses on double Z." "I'm hurrying as fast as possible." "Got to get my hair looking just right." said Link.

Crazy Harry passed by Zippity Zap and that got him to thinking and eventually whispering in to Harrys ear.

"You almost done there Link?" questioned Zippity Zap.

"No!!" shouted Link.

"Good to hear." said a happier Zippity Zap.

And then, Zippity Zap threw some tnt at Link and Crazy Harry then blew Link across the other side of the house.

"Now he's done!!" shouted an excited Crazy Harry.

Meanwhile at the breakfast table, the Swedish Chef and Pepe were putting breakfast out.

"Her de ver de la pancakes en la syrup." Swedish Chef said.

Sam looked over at his pancakes and was disgusted by them. Sam was always disgusted by everything the Swedish Chef cooked.

"What in the name of everything that is truely American is this?" questioned Sam.

"See, it's pancakes okay." said Pepe.

"These are not pancakes!" I demand to get something else to eat!" said an angry Sam.

"You ever have food in face?" said Pepe.

"Food in face, what is that?" questioned Sam.

And with that, Pepe grabbed Sams pancakes and put them on Sams face to shut him up.

"That's what I call a happy meal, okay!" said Pepe.

"This is disgusting." said a revolted Sam.

Hey, Sam, can I have your pancakes if you're not going to eat them?" questioned Rizzo.

Kermit didn't even notice what was going on with Sam and Pepe across the table. He was still caught up on what happened the night before with the band. Fozzie noticed Kermit and how depressed he was.

"Cheer up Kermit." 'Everything is going to be okay." Fozzie said, trying to put a better mood in Kermit.

Kermit just sat there. He seemed to be uneffected by what Fozzie said. Piggy then came walking down the stairs, all dolled up even though it was 15 minutes before 8 in the morning. Fozzie decided to take an opporunity to talk to Piggy in the kitchen.

"I'm worried about Kermit." " I tried to lighten up his mood but he just sat there and didn't move." "I don't know what to do Piggy." said a worried Fozzie.

"What do you want me to do." "I just had a long talk with Rowlf last night saying how we should all let Kermit get over this on his own." said Piggy.

"If we don't do anything, he may get worse." said a concerned Fozzie.

They both looked at him from the kitchen. He was still sitting there at the table and did not touch his pancakes. Rizzo took the opportunity to grab Kermits pancakes from him. Fozzie and Piggy both didn't know what to do to help Kermit. This was a problem they had to fix fast.

Meanwhile, Dr. Teeth and the band spent the night at a motel. They woke up the usual time, 7:30, but it wasn't a morning to sing a funky song to start up the morning like they did back in the Muppet boarding house. They sat in the lobby eating breakfast. Animal was eating everything in sight. Dr. Teeth was reading the job section of the newspaper.

"Oh man, that bed was horrible." "It was even worse than the ones in the Happiness Hotel." Zoot said.

"Zoot, the Happiness Hotel was a set in The Great Muppet Caper." "It was supposed to be like that." said Floyd.

"Oh ya, I forgot." said Zoot.

"Typical, man." said Floyd.

"Hey lay off." said an angry Zoot.

"Both of you quiet." "The last thing we need is to see all of us divided." ordered Dr. Teeth.

"So like, what's the plan." said Janice curiously.

"I can't find anything in the want ads that requires musicians." Dr. Teeth said.

"There has to be something we can do." "We can't just give up." said a determined Lips.

"Anything else I can get you people?" questioned the waitress.

"No thank you ma'am." said Dr. Teeth.

"Woman!!" "Woman!!" "Me want Woman!" shouted Animal.

"Like, you can't get a woman, Animal." "She's not even on the menu." said Janice.

"Ahhhhh!".... said a less excited but frustrated Animal to Janice.

While the band continued to eat breakfast and read the newspaper, a man sitting a few tables over noticed Dr. Teeth. The band started to notice the guy staring at them too.

"Psss, Dr. Teeth." "Why is that guy staring out us." said Floyd curiously.

Dr. Teeth looked at Floyd and then looked at the guy who was still staring at the band.

"Maybe the waitress was that man's girlfriend or wife and he got mad when Animal tried to get her, fer sure." said Janice.

The man got up from his table and approached Dr. teeth and the band.

"Excuse me there." said the man.

Dr. Teeth and the band just looked at the man and didn't say anything.

"Aren't you guys that band from the Muppet Show." asked the man.

"That's right, we're the Electric Mayhem." said Lips.

"Like rully!" proclaimed Janice.

"That's what I thought." "But why are you guys here and not back in the theater?" questioned the man.

"We quit our job." said Dr. Teeth.

"Oh, sorry to hear that." "But that leads me to bring up something else." said the man.

He then pulls out a card and gives it to Dr.Teeth who then looks at it with the rest of the band looking at it too.

"My name is Ed Zwellen." "I'm an agent with Cartier records." said Ed.

"Wow, We've heard of you." " You're a big record producer." said Floyd.

"That's right." said Ed.

"But what does this have to do with us." questioned Dr. Teeth.

"You six have been at the theater working for Kermit the frog for all of these years, yet you're not a big name band nor do you have millions of fans wanting to see you all the time." "Let's face it, within the last 20 years or so, you guys have gotten no where." said Ed.

"We were, like happy and all working for nothing and trying to make people happy." said Janice.

"But now since you don't work for Kermit anymore, you guys can make it to the big time." "We're talking fame, fortune, and all the women you can get." said Ed trying to get the deal going with Dr. Teeth.

"Ah woman!!" shouted Animal.

"Looks like your friend here has already signed up." "What about the rest of you five?" questioned Ed, hoping they would say yes.

They all looked at each other trying to see if they should all sign the deal. They all made nods as if they were going to go with it since they had nothing to lose.

"Let's talk." said the rest of the band.

Ed grabbed a piece of paper from coat pocket. It was a contract.

"Just sign here lads." said Ed who was actually laughing a little to himself and looked suspicious. The band didn't notice Ed.

The band signed signed the contract and were now under Ed Zwellen's control. They thought they were back. They thought this was the break that could make the Electric Mayhem a household name in the music industry. However, Ed Zwellen wanted to do the opposite, to make the band his and to make the band do whatever he wanted. The Electric Mayhem didn't know they were going to be in way over their heads.

ryan

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good good stuff there Ryan. Loved the bit with Link, Harry and Double Z.
The bit with Pepe slamming the pancakes into Sam, classic.
Now that's what I call a happy meal, hokay?

Keep it comin'.
And just know that there are people reading this story and enthustiacally clammoring for more.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yea! You finally updated! I really like this story Ryan! You do a great job with the characters and how they interact with each other. Keep it up, I want to see more!

Beauregard

Reaction score
"Hey Sam, can I have your pancakes if you're not going to eat them?" Classic!!!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Wow, excellent writing, I really am mad at Kermit! What a jerk! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Wow, excellent writing, I really am mad at Kermit! What a jerk! :smile:
*gasp*

I am really mad at you for being really mad at Kermit! Poor Kermit! He's trying to do his best! I feel soooo sorry for him. I just wanna cry, or give him a big HUG!

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
A nice chapter, Ryan. Just one little thing - you seem to be having problems with your quotation marks. If the same person is speaking, you don't need new quotation marks for every sentence, unless you're breaking things up with a 'he said,' a 'she said' or a'(insert character's name here) said'.

Therefore this:

"Cheer up Kermit." 'Everything is going to be okay." Fozzie said, trying to put a better mood in Kermit.
would look and read better as this:

"Cheer up Kermit. Everything is going to be okay," Fozzie said, trying to put a better mood in Kermit.
or, this:

"Cheer up Kermit," Fozzie said, trying to make Kermit's mood better. "Everything is going to be okay."
Using new quotation marks for every sentence when its the same speaker is distracting, and makes the reader think that someone else is talking every time they see a new set of quotation marks.

Another example. This:

"Like, you can't get a woman, Animal." "She's not even on the menu." said Janice.
would read and look better like this:

"Like, you can't get a woman, Animal. She's not even on the menu," said Janice.
or this:

"Like, you can't get a woman, Animal," said Janice. "She's not even on the menu."
(great line, by the way)

Other than that, you're doing a good job with this. You write the EM very well.

-Kim

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes, he does. That Janice line was soooo funny! I copied it across to a friend I was talking to on MSN. And they just stared at it and were like, "Whah?" and I was like, "It's hillarious!"

They think I'm strange...wonder why...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Thanks Kim. I was wondering about the quotation marks. Maybe I should go back and learn English in high school again!

ryan