The New Muppet Show

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows absolutely anything about the new muppet show that's going to be on fox? Plot,characters,anything. It would be awesome if someone could help.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sorry! No word yet. They are still debating if they want to make this a tredny, edgy series, or if they want to revive the old format. Personally, I would like to see the show, a mixture of The Muppet Show, and the first half of the Jim Henson Hour (second half is out of the question, I think. They wouldn't give the Muppets a whole hour, unless Miss Piggy was an anorexic lawyer). I feel it should have all the characters, classic, Jim Henson Hour, and Muppets tonight. (Including Clifford, Digit, Sal and Johnny, Pepe, as well as Swedish Chef and Link Hogthrob).

But that's my two cents.

doctort13

Reaction score
I agree

As another "doc" I have to agree with my associate above and say that I too would like to see all the Muppets on the new program. I am worried that FOX won't let it develop into a classic series. They tend to pull the plug on shows too quickly. Remember The Tick, Family Guy, Greg the Bunny, or 21 Jump Street?:stick_out_tongue:

Stulz

Reaction score
New Muppet Show on FOX

I think FOX WILL let it grow...

Family Guy.... perfect example ... HOW many times was that show pushed around, cancelled, brought back, cancelled agian, put in a WORST slot on the schedule before finnally being canned for real.

"Greg" and "The Tick" must have had terribly bad ratings for them to pull the plug so early.

Let's just hope The new Muppets get more of a "Family Guy" treatment then "Greg" and the "Tick".

Well let's hope it's really "Simpson's" treatment ... :big_grin:

Chris

beaker

Reaction score
>>>They are still debating if they want to make this a tredny, edgy series, or if they want to revive the old format<<<

is there even a question? even in the press release they said edgy. trendy and old school would be lame. i personally would like to see just straigh tup edgy and innovative, maybe even a bit 3am humor ala snl at 14:45 am ish:wink:

as for greg the bunny, people were like 'lets give greg a chance'...and i was thinking man, c'mon! there shouldnt have even been a pilto made, its garbage! hehe

just wondering if this is a march mid season replacement or fall 2003 thing?

Luke

Reaction score
Actually it's got quite a way further than the format planning stages, i think even onto commisioning writers and things. Many reports have confirmed they have taken the 'edgy', 'dramatic new format' approach but i've also heard it will be set in something similar to a theater though that rumor was around when they were in the very early stages so things could have changed. I've heard reports that first impressions aren't that positive, but they have been very sketchy so we shall see.

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
>>>They are still debating if they want to make this a tredny, edgy series, or if they want to revive the old format<<<

is there even a question? even in the press release they said edgy. trendy and old school would be lame. i personally would like to see just straigh tup edgy and innovative, maybe even a bit 3am humor ala snl at 14:45 am ish:wink:

I don't know. It depends on what is considered "edgy and trendy". The Muppets shouldn't be like South Park or Crank Yankers edgy.

just wondering if this is a march mid season replacement or fall 2003 thing?
When Fox announced their fall schedule, they also listed two or three midseason replacements, none of which included the Muppets. I think Fall '03 at the earliest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Re: New Muppet Show on FOX

Originally posted by Stulz

Well let's hope it's really "Simpson's" treatment ...
Really, I think it should have the Simpsons, Malcom treatment.

As long as the Simpsons, and rerun as often as Malcom.

Greg and Tick had disasterous ratings, because of lousy time slots (and for the tick, some people just didn't like it), Greg was opposite "West Wing" and Tick was opposite "Survivor, and Friends" (any show with that slot is DOOMED!! DOOMED!!

But Fox loves to cancel stuff and put in terrible mid seasnon replacements, especially in the summer (Look at an add for the Summer season!!!!)

Let's just hope it's on at a good time slot, and it gets tons of support, eh?

uncleduke

Reaction score
Re: Re: New Muppet Show on FOX

Originally posted by Drtooth

Really, I think it should have the Simpsons, Malcom treatment.

As long as the Simpsons, and rerun as often as Malcom...

But Fox loves to cancel stuff and put in terrible mid seasnon replacements, especially in the summer (Look at an add for the Summer season!!!!)
Hopefully it will go into the Sunday rotation, with Futurama and X-files gone, there's room for sure.
I think Fox will give it a good chance, they lost so many of their shows this spring, they will need so shows to fill in the slots.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Maybe I am an old school purist, but with everything old being new again...I would like to see just the same Muppet Show format re-done. Add in some new Muppets, maybe a few different running gags...but do the Muppet Show, pure and simple, the way it was meant to be done.

But that's just me...

In any case, I hope the new show is good and that it gets announced officially soon. Would love to go into Toy Fair 2003 with info to retailers that there will be TV support. THAT would really help the line.