The New What Made You Frown Today Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unless Blackberry Winter comes along sometime in the next two months, it looks as though today might very well be the last sweater weather day of the season. :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I was supposed to go to a speed dating event last night, but I was sick earlier last week, and I have rehearsals coming up this weekend (both days), so I decided it was best to stay home. This morning I found out my co worker just happened to sign up for the event as well! It would have been a lot of fun to see him there. But somehow I always managed to choose these things poorly. No wonder I'm single and likely always will be....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speed dating? What's that? Like in that eHarmony commercial where a lady sits at a restaurant, and her potential dates are brought in for X-amount of seconds?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Speed dating? What's that? Like in that eHarmony commercial where a lady sits at a restaurant, and her potential dates are brought in for X-amount of seconds?
Yep, that's it.

And, I dunno.... speed dating just never seemed like a great idea to me. Someone could seem nice at first but turn out to be a complete weirdo (and not even the artist kind either :concern:).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Speed dating could work if you're only expecting to see the person for one date, and that's it.
But building a serious relationship takes time. And commitment. And time.
Did I mention it takes time?

My wife and myself hit it off from the beginning, but still took a while to really get to know each other. I was in New Jersey, she was in Pennsylvania, so the hundred-mile distance slowed things down a bit. We dated four years, were engaged for two, but taking our time paid off, now we got almost seventeen years of marriage under our belts.

I'm not saying "Love at first sight" can't happen, you fall in love with the person you're destined to spend the rest of your life with, and you hook up/shack/up/tie the knot and it lasts. Not saying it can't happen, but the odds are pretty slim.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The way I experienced it is any girl I had a crush on growing up never really went beyond that feeling of nothing more than an innocent crush . . . and more often than not, I'd say it probably was "at first sight."

When I actually fell in love, however, it was with somebody I had already known and was friends with for over a year, and never had any sort of romantic interest or feelings for her whatsoever . . . then one day, for whatever reason, I just felt very differently about her, and it was feelings I had never experienced before in my life - I didn't even know what was going on until a lightbulb finally went off over my head: I'm actually in love.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Pretty much all the girls i've ever had a crush on seemed very disinterested in me. And the girls that did like me (i.e. two different girls that I barely knew that claimed that I was their boyfriend) I wasn't interested in them.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Crushes can fade, even romance (so big in the beginning) can fade, but true love lasts longer.

A big part of it is commitment. Relationships, even married life is not all stardust and moonlight. Sometimes the reality hits when two people living together have to deal with such mundane stuff as bills, raising kids, sometimes moving, switching jobs, all that fun stuff.

A lot of people try things out, like "playing house" to see if they can put up with each other. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes best friends move in together, and in a short time end up hating each other. Commitment means sharing everything, from dreams to dirty socks.

Love is a wonderful thing. To love one another, the feeling of being in love, and two hearts coming together. I'm blessed it happened to me, but it can get rough sometimes. Being in a relationship can be a challenge for some, because you have to start thinking, instead of "What's best for me" to "What's best for US".
Commitment, sacrifice, it can get rough sometimes. I'd be lying if I said my wife and I didn't have a few disagreements over the years.

And sometimes the people you love the most, can also make you the angriest.
That's where patience comes in. And tenderness. And remembering why you were together in the first place. We've been married almost 17 years, known each other 22, and we're still figuring things out.

It's not always easy, but man, it is so worth it.