1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The new What Made You Smile Today thread

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by MikaelaMuppet, Mar 6, 2017.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Hearing my cat purr on the couch.

Not very often do I hear her purr.

2. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about emailing this video to a friend just to see his reaction

I do consider some of these to be the best moments in the show, although I could've done without the Jesus one for obvious reasons. But aside from that, I was pleasantly surprised to find that someone made a compilation of pretty much all my favorite robot chicken moments.

DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  3. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

I was watching a song from "Sesame Street" on YouTube called "Doll House" from the 70's, and my cat jumped up and started to lie down next to me. During the song, I looked over at her, and she started to fall asleep, like the song was lulling her to sleep.

Anyway, here's the song in question, just in case anybody wants to hear it. Trivia: Jim Henson himself built that doll house, and the two cats in the film are his own cats, and it was filmed in Lisa and Cheryl Henson's room.

muppetgem likes this.
  4. Flaky Pudding

I rediscovered one of my childhood favorites

5. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

It's one of my favorites, too. Baby animals! Yay!

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Finally the arrival of actual fall-like weather! :D

7. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Finally had a chance to try Moe's.
    This is a chain of Southwest fast food (kinda like a Mexican Subway). They've been here for a year or so, but this is the first time I was in one.

Good prices, fast service, and their burritos are HUGE.
    Plus for anyone that enjoys a soda now and then, they have Coke Freestyle.
    You buy the cup, then you get to choose from hundreds of flavors.
    Flavors you can't find in any stores. The Diet Fanta Lime is to die for.
    Snowthy, they even have flavored Dasani. No bubbles, but you can enjoy flavor instead of drinking straight water.

8. Flaky Pudding

Well it's official, I've totally got my mom hooked on this show as well! I know it sounds crazy due to the juvenile nature of the show, but my mom really does enjoy watching it (of course she also likes Beavis and Butt-Head, so you know). Anyway, we've been watching a bunch of episodes together lately and there have been a lot of times when she would understand references that I don't (the guy from Knight Rider getting carjacked, a skit called Hulk Hogan's Heroes, etc.) due to how many of the show's writers are Mom's age. Although we don't like the religious one or that extremely creepy Snuggles Softener Bear bit, we just ignore those. I really am surprised at how many of the more bizarre skits my Mom likes, there's one character I was afraid to show her because it's VERY awkward to watch in front of your parents. He's a unicorn who's supposed to be a pedophile or something, but sure enough my mom found the character somewhat funny (mostly because of his voice though). She told me a few days ago that in her opinion this show is 100 times better than Family Guy and because of how bland modern FG is, I completely agree with her.

9. Flaky Pudding

I recently got a kitten and I remembered there being a live action film about kittens on Sesame Street but I couldn't remember much about it. I looked it up and all the memories came flooding back to me :).

10. Flaky Pudding

Although that cat would probably bite my hand off for saying this, this video is SOOOOO funny:

But seriously though, I would stay as far away from that cat as possible if I were the cameraman.

11. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet Burgers and Fries is probably long gone now.

12. D'Snowth

Hearing Matt Vogel say my name on today's episode of "Below the Frame" was pretty cool; and Carmen Osbahr blowing me a kiss and waving was really sweet too. :excited:

13. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Holy Kermit! I forgot that was today!
    Anyway, that's pretty awesome. I've tried to get them to acknowledge me on numerous occasions, but to no avail. Still, whenever they do the show it's always exciting, so I don't mind.

14. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Matt liked one of my comments from a video last season, which was rather surprising actually.

And darn, I forgot about Below the Frame today as well. Oh well, but nice to hear you get a shoutout @D'Snowth. :)

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  15. D'Snowth

I think I simply had good timing when commenting: they were discussing characters, and while Carmen was discussing how she, Jim Henson, and Jon Stone created Rosita, I commented asking about why she eventually lost her wings; a minute or two later, Matt brought up my comment. Apparently, it was a logistical decision: there were concerns that as far as merchandise goes, they thought the character looked "too big" with the wings, or something to that effect, or at least, that's what Carmen said she was told. Pam Arciero offered up a more logical explanation: she went through monster puberty. :laugh:

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  16. fuzzygobo

The closest I came to Matt, back in 2013, I sent in a video to Sesame Workshop
    when they were having open auditions for potential puppeteers.
    Unfortunately nothing came of it, and honestly my puppetry was, by my own admission...STIFF.
    But that is something just about everybody has had pipe dreams about at one point or another. Being a Muppeteer on Sesame Street would seem like the ultimate gig. It would be like joining the Beatles.
    It's amazing, how back around 2009, when there were plenty of Sesame appearances, so many young hopefuls asking "How do I get on?"

I still hope to use my skills (as limited as they may be) in puppetry somehow, especially doing a puppet ministry in church.
    People still might be clamoring to be the next Kermit or Ernie on the Street. If that's their destiny, great. But it's not mine, and I'm okay with that.

17. D'Snowth

Ah yes, I too sent in a video submission, but was among those who received mass rejection emails; considering most everybody got the same one of two differently-worded rejections, I'm guessing that after a certain amount of time, Matt and Marty felt they already saw enough demos and didn't have time to look at any others, or maybe because it was "first come, first serve," they stopped accepting submissions after a certain amount. I once did a firsthand demo with Steve for a former Muppet Performer who worked on SST, MFS, and EIG, and he said he had no critique for me whatsoever because he saw no flaws in my skills as a puppeteer - he even offered me a summer job with his Nashville-based troupe, but nothing ever came of that.

18. fuzzygobo

I think you, of all people, would deserve the best shot to be on the Street.

19. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he'd do great! I think he's exactly the type they'd be looking for. He's got the skill, the humor, the creativity, the toughness, and the heart Muppeteers need. I think he'd be kind of a Richard Hunt type, but not gay.

20. D'Snowth

Thanks guy. As I said before, when I was younger, more ambitious, more idealistic, and really had my head in the clouds, I really wanted to perform for SST (actually, I wouldn't have minded any part of the Muppet spectrum, but figured since SST remains regularly in production that it would provide me with steadier work, unlike, say, the Classic Muppets, where it could be years between whatever projects they do), but I had to take a step back and realize it was pretty much a pipe dream at best, because you figure how many hundreds of thousands of aspiring and amateur puppeteers out there would beg to work for them.

Then again, this is my biggest passion, and I'm pretty much autodidactic: I started at a time that while the internet was a thing, resources on puppetry (building, performer, what have you) were pretty scarce, so I had to pretty much teach myself by studying behind-the-scenes footage from various Muppet productions, and what little bit I could dig up on the internet. It's not like today, where you've got all kinds of great tutorials on YouTube from people like Adam Kreutinger, who give you step-by-step videos on how to build puppets and such.