The new What Made You Smile Today thread

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Maybe this isn't the right thread to post this, because this made me do much more than smile. It made me almost jump out of my seat with excitement. I recently wrote a fan made HTF episode on their fanon Wiki (half expecting it to quickly fade into obscurity). It was about my secondary waifu, Stacy becoming an Internet celebrity after seeing a meme made out of her. The story had a recurring joke about a made up catchphrase, Stacylicious throughout. But anyway, somebody actually made fan art of my story:

Guess what makes this even better? To top it all off, the guy who made this piece of art is the creator of Stacy. Yeah, he not only acknowledged my work but went as far as to make fan art of it. I was legit trying not to have a fanboy freakout when I saw this :smile:
That's cool! Could you give a link to your story? I kinda wanna read it.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Maybe this isn't the right thread to post this, because this made me do much more than smile. It made me almost jump out of my seat with excitement. I recently wrote a fan made HTF episode on their fanon Wiki (half expecting it to quickly fade into obscurity). It was about my secondary waifu, Stacy becoming an Internet celebrity after seeing a meme made out of her. The story had a recurring joke about a made up catchphrase, Stacylicious throughout. But anyway, somebody actually made fan art of my story:

Guess what makes this even better? To top it all off, the guy who made this piece of art is the creator of Stacy. Yeah, he not only acknowledged my work but went as far as to make fan art of it. I was legit trying not to have a fanboy freakout when I saw this :smile:
It's the right thread.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I'm finally selling my old iPod Touch at last, after all these years.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
@D'Snowth , you'd appreciate this.
Finally got to see the black and white pilot for "Hogan's Heroes".
I'm always going to have a soft spot for 60's sitcoms. They generally fall into several categories:

The odd family member trying to blend in with middle-class suburbia, like "Bewitched", "I Dream of Jeannie".

The rural sitcoms: "Beverly Hillbillies", "Gomer Pyle", "Green Acres", etc., all of which were purged by CBS when Norman Lear and "All in the Family" took over. As someone put it, "CBS killed anything with a tree".

Slightly ahead of the pack, edgier in content and higher on satire, "Hogan's Heroes" and "Get Smart".

I was around when "Hogan" was still in its original network run. Even though it would be years until I was old enough to appreciate how brilliant the show was, little toddler me still loved the opening credits.

I loved the drum march, and if you notice as the feet are running out the door into the snow (Stalag 13 ALWAYS was covered in snow, even in the summer!)
one pair of feet is making a right turn and ALMOST slips. I thought that was neat.
Also neat was LeBeau peeking up from the trap door under the doghouse.

As a four-year-old, it's impossible to notice how they were spoofing Nazi officers, or exactly why they were there. But even at that tender age, these guys were COOL!
And Richard Dawson cracking a safe (or shuffling cards) sealed the deal for me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The HOGAN'S HEROES pilot is interesting because of so many other differences from the series proper, like Burkhalter being a Colonel instead of General, or all of the prisoners being part of Hogan's team and not just his usual four comrades, and most vexing of all: Carter is just passing through on his way back to London while Hogan has a Russian tailor named Vladimir.

And here's a little bit of trivia for you: did you happen to notice Newkirk talks a little differently in the pilot? Richard Dawson wanted to stray away from the American stereotype that all British people have a cockney accent, and wanted to give Newkirk a Liverpool accent, thinking American audiences might like hearing a different British dialect unlike what they're used to, but he was advised against it on the grounds that it was hard to understand what he was saying, so he relented and gave Newkirk the over-the-top cockney. Then Beatlemania swept America, and nobody seemed to have a hard time understanding them. :wink:

And I see what you mean. You mention how the Norman Lear shows like ALL IN THE FAMILY, SANFORD AND SON, THE JEFFERSONS, etc. pretty much purged previously popular 60s sitcoms, but when you think about it, the fantasy sitcoms of the 60s kind of did the same thing to the more wholesome, domestic sitcoms like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, DENNIS THE MENACE, and others. The fantasy sitcoms like BEWITCHED, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, and others were really, really big in the 60s, because they were so way out and kooky that they offered TV viewers an escape from the tumultuous realities of the world around them like the Civil Rights movement, Presidential assassinations, and things like that, and that really makes a lot of sense.

I used to hate-watch HOGAN'S HEROES, because I found the show to be really silly, fluffy, and trivialized war and Nazis too much - I mean, when you compare it to a masterpiece like M*A*S*H, it's like trying to compare, say, Dora the Explorer to SST. But, the more I hate-watched Hogan, the more it grew on me, and I have to say that my previous hatred of the show was actually unjustified: I saw many of the earlier episodes, where the humor was a lot more broad, silly, and even cartoonish at times (like GREEN ACRES, but in a German prison camp), but I eventually saw that as the series progressed, the humor matured a little - maybe not to the level of sophistication as M*A*S*H's humor, but there is a noticable difference in the humorous tone when you compare episodes from the first and final seasons. And as for trivializing Nazis, that was something that even the Jewish actors portraying them were okay with: Werner Klemperer (whose family fled Germany as Hitler was coming into power) even stated that he wanted Klink to always look like a fool, and always be thwarted by Hogan's gang; John Banner (who fled Austria) even said he felt a lovable dumbkopf like Schultz represented the little bit of good found in every generation (and even remarked, "Who better to play Nazis than we Jews?). Robert Clary is even a Holocaust survivor - as an entertainer, he always wore sweaters or long sleeves to hide the serial number tattoo on his arm. The only one who took issue with the show was the actor who played Vladimir in the pilot: he felt making fun of Nazis was insensitive and opted not to sign on as a castmember when the pilot went to series, hence why Carter was brought back and retconned as one of Hogan's men.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
England qualified for the Russia World Cup 2018!!!!!!!!!

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I just opened up some early birthday presents from my parents - a Zootopia card that plays "Try Everything", peanut butter M&Ms (yum), and some McFarlane Toys Steven Universe figures!