The Next Step: The Fifth and Final Rowlf Story

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Stopping by... In hopes of nagging for another chapter before the weekend takes you away again.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I was waiting for that...sadly, had another big mailing project so I've not had time to put pen to paper. I more or less know where it's going though so when I finally have the time, it will be here. So soonishkibble as you like to say, just not today.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, this was a difficult chapter. Our beloved characters are making really bad choices, but trust me, it will get better. Stick with me.

Chapter Eight:

Wanda sat in the back of the bus next to the window and watched as the rain falling against the side blended in with the tears coming down her face.

It wasn’t right of her to run, she hated the idea of running away, abandoning something, she knew how it felt to be left behind.

But, there was something inside of her that could not deal with the situation and couldn’t take being with her husband right now when she wasn’t even sure if she knew who he truly was. She needed to clear her head, so she decided in the middle of the night that she would go someplace where there was one person who had never let her down.

When the bus stopped at her destination it had stopped raining. It was still cloudy, but it was morning. She walked the few blocks and found her way to a back entrance to a familiar, comforting place.

“Who’s there? We don’t open until lunchtime and I don’t have any hand outs,” came a voice that got louder as a man stepped into the kitchen.

“Wanda!” he exclaimed.

“Hi Alexander,” she said shakily.

“What brings you here?” he asked.

“My life is a mess,” was all Wanda could spit out before the sobs ransacked her body once again.

Rowlf sat in the bed he and Wanda shared frozen to the mattress. He couldn’t understand. She left. No explanation, the note simply said, “I can’t be with you right now. I don’t when I’ll be able to. I’ll be ok. Please don’t come looking for me. I’ll be back when and if I can.”

She left no clues as to where she’d gone although Rowlf had some pretty good guesses. But, her wishes were that he not come after her.

“What am I supposed to do now?” he asked the pillow. Of course, it didn’t answer him although that type of thing wouldn’t be unusual in this house.

Rowlf looked at the note again.

“WHEN and IF? IF? What does she mean by IF?” he grumbled. He went over to his piano and started banging on it quite loudly.

“If she would’ve just talked to me about this she’d understand, it’s not like I knew about this!” he yelled as he banged some more.

Kermit was walking by outside the door as everyone was waking up and starting their days. Scooter was also outside the door.

“Uh, Boss, what do you suppose is going on in there?” asked Scooter.

“I don’t really know, but I’m going to try and find out,” said Kermit. He knocked on the door, but of course Rowlf didn’t hear him. Kermit turned the knob and walked in.

“FINE! Just GO, I don’t care if you come BACK!” yelled Rowlf as he continued to play.

“Whoa, whoa buddy! What’s going on here?” asked Kermit coming over to Rowlf and grabbing his paws.

“My wife is gone,” said Rowlf quietly.

“What?” asked Kermit.

“I know frogs don’t have ears but are you deaf? I said my wife is gone! She left me!” exclaimed Rowlf.

“Why? What happened?” asked Kermit.

“Well this funny thing happened to me yesterday, I find out that I’m a father and then boom my wife is gone,” said Rowlf.

“Didn’t you try to talk to her?” asked Kermit.

“She didn’t want to hear anything about it, she wanted to sleep on it and talk more today,” said Rowlf.

“That doesn’t sound like Wanda,” said Kermit.

“Well that’s what happened,” said Rowlf.

“Where did she go?” asked Kermit.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea but she said not to follow her and you know what, that’s fine, I’ll leave her alone,” said Rowlf. He was starting to sound angry.

“Are you sure? I think you guys just need to talk,” said Kermit.

“No, I’m going to respect her wishes. Besides, this whole thing is not my fault, it’s not like I knew I had a daughter! It’s a huge shock for me too!” exclaimed Rowlf.

“Yeah, it’s a bit of a shock to all of us. But we’ll get used to it. You will too and I’m sure Wanda will come around,” said Kermit.

“Maybe she will. But you know something, this is probably for the better. Maybe the space will be good for us while I get to know Annie and revisit a time in my life that I’ve tried so hard to forget,” said Rowlf softening a little.

“Ok. If there’s anything I can do for you, just name it,” said Kermit deciding to let his friend be. There was no talking him into going after Wanda, not right now.

“Yeah, there is. Tell the gang that we’re taking a break. And also tell the gang that I’m going to go stay in town for awhile in an apartment. I think I need my own space for awhile,” said Rowlf.

This news shocked Kermit even more.

“Um, really?” asked Kermit.

“Yes, I’m sorry, I don’t want to be around everyone right now, it’s just, well, I’m a mess,’ said Rowlf.

Kermit didn’t press him. He realized this was bigger than anything they had been through together in the past.

“Whatever you need my friend,” said Kermit. He embraced Rowlf quickly and then turned around. He paused in the doorway and looked back at Rowlf and hoped somehow that his broken spirit could be mended. It always had been in the past. This time he wasn’t sure.

Back at Jazzmine’s Wanda was pouring her heart out to her former boss and friend. She even confessed that she was pregnant and that the only other one who knew besides her doctor was Piggy.

“Oh love. I don’t know what to say to you. I really think you need to tell him about the baby though. Even if you can’t work things out, he has a right to know. Don’t make him go through what he’s going through right now in another 20 years,” said Alexander.

“I just can’t right now. I’ll tell him when I feel the time is right and hopefully I can go back there someday but I just can’t right now,” said Wanda.

“What about your friend, will she tell him?” asked Alexander.

“True friends do not share secrets. I’m confident in Piggy,” said Wanda. Truthfully she wasn't sure, Piggy wasn't the best at keeping secrets but she hoped beyond hope that she could trust her with this one.

Like Kermit with Rowlf, Alexander decided not to push Wanda any further. He felt she was being a little unreasonable, but it wasn’t his marriage, wasn’t his relationship. All he could do was be there for his friend and former employee.

“Well all right. Do you need a place to stay?” asked Alexander.

“No, I think I’ve got that covered. I’ve got someone who kind of owes me. Really I was just hoping I could have my job back,” said Wanda.

“It’s yours. I will always have a job for you,” said Alexander.

“Thank you,” said Wanda and gave him a hug. She then set out to where she intended to stay while back in Minnesota.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Is floored by the weight of the chapter. *Laughs at the blurb about the pillow talking back wouldn't be unusual. *Is alarmed by Rowlf's angered attitude. *Ponders quietly with Kermit as to whether Rowlf will be OK. *Agrees with Alexander, don't make him go through what he's going through now in another twenty years. *Cries at the thought of Rowlf and Wanda no longer together. *Thinks Wanda's going off to live with either Marie or Felicia, though I'd say Marie since she doesn't want Felicia tipping her son off about his wife's whereabouts.

Oh Beth! Post more please! Ish!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
My reaction is much the same as Ed's. I love the way you're not afraid to deal with heavy subjects. I I must confess that when I first got to know you, and with your first story or two, I figured you for the timid, mild-mannered sort, no offense! But you definately keep getting stronger! Keep up the good work!

More please!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
No offense taken at all Kate, I really am the mild mannered and timid sort most of the time! I just love writing drama! It's easier than writing comedy sometimes. :smile: More soon.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Nine:

Wanda made her way to a somewhat unfamiliar address that was not far from Jazzmine’s. She knocked on the door.

The door opened to reveal Marie.

“Wanda?” she asked in surprise.

“Hi Mama. I kind of need a favor,” said Wanda.

“Well of course, what can I do for you?” asked Marie.

“Can I stay here for awhile?” asked Wanda suddenly looking very small and meek.

Marie couldn’t hide the shock and surprise on her face but ushered Wanda inside anyway.

“The house is a bit of mess but I can clean up real quick,” said Marie as they stepped into her living room.

“No, it’s fine. I just need a place to crash,” said Wanda.

“Ok, well, um, I have an extra bed in this room over here, the bathroom is over there and I guess you can help yourself to whatever is in the kitchen,” said Marie as she took Wanda through the house in a daze.

“Thanks. Well, I’ll just put my stuff in this room over here,” said Wanda.

“All right then,” said Marie walking away. Suddenly she turned around and rushed back into the extra bedroom.

“What is going on?” she finally asked.

“Plain and simple Mama, I just became my mother’s daughter,” said Wanda.

Rowlf quietly gathered his things and snuck out before most noticed what was going on. With so many things out of his control he felt better taking some charge of his life. He knew it hurt Kermit when he said he needed to be alone, but somehow it just felt right for now.

Besides, he would be constantly reminded of Wanda if he stayed back at the boarding house and was around the rest of the gang all of the time.

Now he could at least focus on getting to know his daughter since there really wasn’t anything else left for him.

With a final look around the room he and Wanda shared Rowlf sighed as he noticed his portable keyboard in the corner protectively packaged in the special carrying case Wanda had given him. He turned around and left it behind.

Later on Kermit looked at everyone as they were eating breakfast and wondered how he was supposed to tell them what was going on.

It went surprisingly well. Most everyone had noticed things were not right with Rowlf and Wanda and if anything, they were just concerned, but no one questioned any motives.

“Uncle Kermit?” asked Robin as the group disbanded after breakfast.

“Yeah Robin?” responded Kermit.

“They’re going to get back together right? They aren’t going to be like my parents are they?” asked Robin.

Kermit’s heart felt as if it was ripped in two. He forgot that Robin could take this news especially hard because his own parents went through something similar.

“Well little buddy, I sure hope they will. But I don’t want you to worry about it right now ok? Right now they are just taking a break like I said,” said Kermit.

“Ok Uncle Kermit,” said Robin and hopped away.

Of course, Kermit wasn’t too entirely sure himself if everything would be ok.

Later in the day the phone rang at the theatre. Scooter wasn’t around so Kermit picked it up.

“Muppet Theatre, Kermit speaking,” said Kermit.

“Oh hi, this is Dr. Prell’s office, we’re looking for Wanda?” came the voice over the line.

“Um, right, well she’s not here right now,” said Kermit.

“Oh, she had an ultrasound scheduled with us today. Do you know if she’s on her way?” asked the secretary.

“Ultrasound?” asked Kermit.

“Yes, she’s scheduled for one to make sure everything is all right with the baby,” said the secretary.

“Um, she suddenly had to leave town, family emergency. She’ll schedule when she gets back,” fibbed Kermit and quickly hung up the phone.

Wanda was pregnant?

“You’ve become my daughter? Now just what is that supposed to mean?” asked Marie.

“I ran. Just like you,” said Wanda.

“What did you run from?” asked Marie.

“Everything. And I don’t know when I’m going back,” said Wanda and walked past her mother out of the room.

“Now you wait just a second here young lady. I know I forfeited my parental rights years ago but you don’t just come in here and give me this kind of garbage. I want to know what’s going on and I want to know right now. Start talking,” said Marie darting in front of Wanda keeping her from going further.

“Yes mama,” said Wanda and proceeded to tell her story for a second time that day.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
GO MARIE GO! Oh if anyone can get Wanda out of this funk she's in, it's her! Poor Rowlf though... poor EVERYONE! ROBIN! OWW! PAIN! Love it though! More please!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I'd like to poke at the phone call to the theater.

1.) Have you mentioned the doctor's name before, or did I forget it, or have I just been too oblivious to notice? Whatever- no, not Gonzo- the case, kudos to you.
2.) KERMIT KNOWS! Ooh, the plot THICKENS!

In other news.

ROWLF LEFT THE KEYBOARD BEHIND! AHHHH! <whimpers>

Also- lovely mother/daughter interaction. I especially like the "Yes Mama" at the end.

And last but not least- ROBIN! Enough said. ...Not enough said. ROOOOOOOOOOBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN! <WHIMPERS!> ...Yeah, that's better.

More Please!