The Nicktoon Thread

Muppy

Reaction score
I'M SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS!!!

But yeah, like others have said, there needs to be a reason why they're all together. Maybe they'll go the alternate universe route. Maybe they all live in the same universe like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I don't really know, but I can't wait for more information!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
While it's been a rough go this season, they finally aired some quality episodes of FOP that actually do something interesting with Chloe.

Last week, it was revealed they also shared a birthday, and they're throwing rival parties. Chloe with the essential unicorn themed girly party, while Timmy goes for a Transformers parody. Of course, in the heat of competition, the unicorns and Changemorphers turn on both of them. I love how Timmy got insanely board when the Optimus expy told his long origin story.

But last night's was even better. Chloe forces Timmy to watch Fair Bears (wild guess what that's a parody of), and then wishes them to reality. And while it wasn't as close a parody as I was hoping it'd be, it managed to address my absolute main beef with Care Bears. They're a freaking brainwashing cult (at least in the DIC episodes). Of course, here they brainwash Timmy and Wanda to always be happy, causing Chloe to snap. They're then mistaken for fairies by Crocker, who captures them and his mother runs over them. The episode ends with them vowing revenge, which I'm hoping they become a recurring menace to both characters. Hey. Crocker's a one note joke now, Foop gone the way of Poof and Sparky, and they're never bringing the substitute teacher back. A perfect time to get some new antagonists.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Nick's future animation slate is looking alright. "Harvey Beaks" and "Pig,Goat,Bannana,Cricket" have been renewed. Also, unsurprisingly, SpongeBob has been renewed for 10th and 11th seasons :sympathy:
Here are some of the new cartoons coming:

*"The Loud House"
. Saw the pilot. It doesn't look great but it doesn't look bad either.

*Bunsen and the Beast- It's created by Butch Hartman, so, yeah, that could go either way. FOP hasn't been very good recently, Danny Phantom was awesome, Tuff Puppy was pretty meh.

*Welcome to the Wayne- Based on one of Nick's web shows. I haven't seen the web series yet but i've heard that it's pretty creative.

*Pinky Malinky- Oh gosh, what can I say about this potentially crappy show? Well, after watching the pilot, it looks like the writers of "Pickle and Peanut" tried to write an episode of "The Amazing World of Gumball" and failed horribly.

Anyway, I just heard the greatest news ever. New episodes of "Breadwinners" are no longer airing on Nickelodeon and have moved to Nicktoons!

FOP, Ninja Turtles and Alvin are all coming back with new episodes, but we still haven't heard anything about "Sanjay and Craig".

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why everyone takes Breadwinners so seriously. It's not a very good show, but it really doesn't have any traction. Kids don't seem to like it, Nick barely runs episodes on its main channel like they completely gave up on it as they did Raving Rabbids. Gotta admit, I dig Breadwinners and find it less insulting than TTG is. I mean, at least Sway Sway and Buhduce actually care about each other. There's stuff I like about it, and I feel the show improved the second they introduced the Pizza Winners. I actually like the chemistry between Eric Bauza and Robbie Daymond (but they're better elsewhere)I certainly don't think its the most brainmelting cartoon Nick ever did. That distinction goes to Fanboy and Chum Chum and the NFL cartoon...and on a technicality Wild Grinders. But I don't care if its gone. Sanjay and Craig I'd be ticked off at, Harvey Beaks I'd be really ticked off at, PGBC too. Still kinda annoyed by TUFF Puppy's ousting. But Breadwinners was never meant to be.

I'm glad they've renewed Harvey and PGBC, one show a beautiful series about friendship, the other just something dumb and insane that always cheers me up. TMNT is at least guaranteed a season 5, and I hope it goes beyond that to some extent. At least it's a merchandising juggernaut. Also great they're introducing new shows. Hope they find time on their schedule for them. But again, I have to get on the soap box about how they just don't give a crap about their animated programming except for Spongebob and Chipmunks (Turtles still because of the merchandise angle). They've been shooing off their animated programming to Nicktoons only to keep putting reruns of their current kiddycoms on Nicktoons as well, even though they also run them on Teen Nick. How do they expect to keep these cartoons going if they refuse a place for them? And while I don't think they outwardly seem to by trying to screw Power Rangers (a show I can't say I was ever a fan of, but have grown to respect it) a little, obviously due to the fact they aren't getting the merchandising bucks.

But I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes of "Welcome to the Wayne" and a new Butch Hartman show (hopefully more in tone with Danny Phantom and less yell-y than his others). The Louds seems like it could either be pretty good or forgettable, but I love the Euro-comics look of the series. Never heard of Pinky Malinky, but it sounds like it doesn't hit the "Stupid show sweet spot" I'm always talking about (Uncle Grandpa, Cow and Chicken, stuff like that). Pickle and Peanut feels like it should have been on Nick and shooed off the network by now. Took me forever to realize what exactly it's a ripoff of, it's Lucas Bros. (the 90's Adventure Bear episode, I liked, but it felt like the Lucas Bros episode about Urkle). I don't much relish a series trying to be that, though...it is Noah Jones's arguable best work.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I don't see why everyone takes Breadwinners so seriously. It's not a very good show, but it really doesn't have any traction. Kids don't seem to like it, Nick barely runs episodes on its main channel like they completely gave up on it as they did Raving Rabbids. Gotta admit, I dig Breadwinners and find it less insulting than TTG is. I mean, at least Sway Sway and Buhduce actually care about each other.
I'm sorry but no, Breadwinners is just absolutely stupid. And it's really annoying how much the main characters like each other, there's almost no conflict between them whatsoever and they're incredibly bland. Also kids did like it, it was the most watched show on the network last year.

I'm glad they've renewed Harvey and PGBC, one show a beautiful series about friendship, the other just something dumb and insane that always cheers me up. TMNT is at least guaranteed a season 5, and I hope it goes beyond that to some extent. At least it's a merchandising juggernaut. Also great they're introducing new shows. Hope they find time on their schedule for them. But again, I have to get on the soap box about how they just don't give a crap about their animated programming except for Spongebob and Chipmunks (Turtles still because of the merchandise angle). They've been shooing off their animated programming to Nicktoons only to keep putting reruns of their current kiddycoms on Nicktoons as well, even though they also run them on Teen Nick. How do they expect to keep these cartoons going if they refuse a place for them? And while I don't think they outwardly seem to by trying to screw Power Rangers (a show I can't say I was ever a fan of, but have grown to respect it) a little, obviously due to the fact they aren't getting the merchandising bucks.
Nickelodeon's treatment of their cartoons is the most frustrating thing ever. And with Nick constantly showing the awful new episodes of SpongeBob all day, it only reinforces the stereotype that kids will watch whatever junk you put in front of them and you don't have to put effort into making these shows for kids to like them, so you might as well keep just spewing out more crap.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry but no, Breadwinners is just absolutely stupid. And it's really annoying how much the main characters like each other, there's almost no conflict between them whatsoever and they're incredibly bland. Also kids did like it, it was the most watched show on the network last year.
I get that. I can't say I love the show, but I can certainly see why everyone hates it, but in the end it's more mediocre and offputting than awful. Even on the "they greenlit this and not that" level, I should be far more annoyed with it. Though I have to say when the not that talented creators stopped writing episodes and they handed it off to experienced cartoon writers like Gene Grillo and the team of Bob Roth and Bill Motz, the show improved at least on the merits of having those who know how writing a cartoon works. I really should be in the "I hate this crap" category, and I actually want to hate on it but can't bring myself to. It's a series I classify as I'll watch it if there's nothing else on, but not actively seek out. I'm actually surprised kids watched it enough last year, actually. It doesn't seem like anything that would or could catch on. If it was a TTG (or Johnny Test) situation and it was on all day every day, I'd at least hate it for that. The series just confounds me, and I have complicated feelings about it. But I'll admit this. it doesn't have the divine stupidity to turn it around to be "so stupid its brilliant." It's just stupid, but not the worst thing I've seen. It's not "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids" or "Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan" stupid, but it's also not "Fonz and the Happy Days Gang" so stupid it's good stupid. And certainly,certainly no Uncle Grandpa.

It's just...I really hate the three Nicktoons I'm always going on about much much more. Fanboy and Chum Chum especially deserves bile because it wasn't the show they pitched to older cartoon viewers. They promised a show that was a love letter to geekdom when that sort of thing was on the rise of popularity before it became too mainstream. But all I saw was spastic, ugly CGI kids with geek stuff awkwardly post-it note stuck on. It could have been any show about typical kids and it would be still the same. And I mean, I enjoyed every Nicktoon I've ever seen to some extent with the exception of those three. I can even find enjoyment in that tween Rugrats series (but I still have major major problems with it). And I can even take NFL RushZone as a so freaking awful it's hilarious when I'm in the right mood. Just... Rocket Power and Fanboy and Chum Chum I hate soooo freaking much. I would love to say BW deserves to be the fourth, but..ehhhh...I feel a little bad about liking it, actually. I can't even say guilty pleasure since I don't even like it that much.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At the risk of being the guy completely out of the demographic for the channel finding fault with its content who really shouldn't have a complaint...

I have a friggin' complaint.

I know the still hip to do thing is to replace animated programming on a network with live action drivel because reasons. I shouldn't be annoyed by this at all, even if I was in the demo. But Nicktoons has long blocks of it's live action programming...current live action programming. And while I'm mildly annoyed by some of their meh programming, they put their worst show on the network. A show I refer to as "Tropey, Tropey, Tropey, and Trope," "Four Stock Characters in a 90's TGIF Show," and "If it wasn't for this Four Kids Being Related Gimmick, you couldn't tell what this show was about." Yep. The piece of crap with the quadruplets. And frankly, this is the worst thing Nick has ever aired. Worse than anything Fred related, worse than Awesomeness TV, worse than Wild Grinders. Just absolutely one of the worst kid's shows out there. And I wouldn't even be that annoyed but they also have large blocks of "Schticky, Crappy, Hacky and Yawn" on Teen Nick as well. Yep. The show spans three networks. THREE FREAKING NETWORKS!

Now I'm not happy Henry Danger or Thundermans is also on Nicktoons. But I have to admit, Henry Danger is actually alright if you're into that sort of thing, and The Thundermans...ehhhh... at least it has Dana Snyder playing a rabbit super villain knockoff of Salem from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, so at least there's Master Shake in a tweencom. But "4 Obnoxious Kids" is a lazy show with 4 stock character tropes (I can't even call them personalities because even then that's giving them too much credit) farting their way through old TGIF sitcom tropes with the most uninspired slapstick stupidity this side of a talking dog movie. And yes, I know I'm not the demographic and I shouldn't care, but as a kid's program, kids deserve better. Their other sitcoms at least offer something. Not even something new or original. Something that says "this show deserves to exist." Even Kel's hamming it up to insane levels makes Game Shakers better than it should be (and for all the ramming down the audience's throat they did with that one, seems it's the biggest failure of the bunch).

It's bad enough the current line of Nicktoons, minus Spongebob, grts pushed to the side and kicked off the network for months at a time, now they can't even have their own channel because of a lackluster...nay, lack anything special crap tweencom that's already forced down on 2 other channels. That's absolute crap. 2005 was over 10 years ago. Stop competing with Disney Channel originals.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I just watched all six episodes of the webseries Welcome to the Wayne, and I kinda dig it. A spy series set around a giant apartment complex filled with unusual tenants sounds like a very intriguing concept that deserves an expansion into a full series, as it will be getting, which is great as it made a pretty big sequel hook in the final episode. However, I hope they feature more settings outside the Wayne as I don't see how a limited setting would sustain itself as an actual TV series, and I also hope the animation quality will get polished up along the way.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
As of this month, 'The Loud House' has surpassed SpongeBob as Nick's highest rated show,which just goes to show you. Any animated series on the network can become just as popular as SpongeBob if they just give it a chance. I hope The Loud House continues to air on a regular basis so that we at least have two regularly airing animated shows on the network that aren't SpongeBob.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/01/loud-nick-toon-beats-spongebob/

Still a little bit ticked about their treatment of 'Harvey Beaks', but I hope the recent success of The Chipmunks and TLH cause them to be a lot nicer to their cartoons. Although I definitely won't hold my breath on that. Remember when 'Sanjay and Craig' was the most popular show on Nick yet they still treated it like a barfed out poop? Oh, and remember how badly they treated 'Legend of Korra' and 'Robot and Monster'? Most kids I know don't even know Fairly Odd Parents exists. The marketing for Pig Goat Banana Cricket hasn't been great either.

But, i'll still stay as optimistic as I can.