1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frogboy4, Sep 6, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm probably more proud than I should be over the fact that my comment on the YouTube upload of the CATS DON'T DANCE review is currently the second top comment (was first for a while, but it's been bumped down now). Interesting to see that while some people feel the same way about the sketches and such, some actually feel like NC actually improved as a result of the sketches and other castmembers and such. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

2. D'Snowth

Ehh, never mind, that didn't last long, lol. Fun while it lasted though: got nearly 1,000 thumbs up, I don't think I've ever gotten that many likes on a comment before . . . I think 700 was my biggest accomplishment, but that was back in the days when "top comments" really were top rated comments . . . and people were bashing me for having the most-liked comment on a video anyway, lol.

3. D'Snowth

I was recently listening to Doug's mini-review of TOY STORY 3, and it strikes me as intriguing that he disliked it mainly for the ending with Andy giving his toys away to Bonnie, on the grounds that he felt Andy's behavior in the way he was describing all of his toys with elaborate backstories and spontaneously breaking into play with her to be awkward and age-inappropriate for Andy.

I never saw it that way. The way I always saw it was that Andy could see that Bonnie was a rather shy and withdrawn little girl, and he was simply trying to communicate with her in a way that would make her feel a little more comfortable about accepting these special toys that he was giving her. As for the playtime? Well, likewise, I saw that as Andy just trying to make her feel more comfortable and less shy about the whole thing . . . that, and yes, I'm sure he wanted to play with them one last time, but I don't see how that's awkward or age-inappropriate.

Pig's Laundry and mr3urious like this.
  4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought, too. :)

5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Exactly. It would not have been a satisfying ending if he just left the toys at her house and just went off to college. The toys would've just felt abandoned again, and the audience wouldn't even know if Bonnie was ever going to play with them.

6. Sylinde Bren

Sylinde Bren Active Member

I'm such a big fan of The Nostalgia Critic! My favourite of his reviews, I think, would be... THIS ONE:

It's sort of cheating, but I take it as them being a series but still counting as one. ^-^

His running gag about commercials from Canada and "F'in' Bubbles!" are pure comedy gold.

7. Pig's Laundry

Has anyone seen the most recent episode yet? It was one of his best in a long time, and probably the first time in a while that I laughed out loud throughout the whole thing. It's definitely a return to form, and I hope this trend continues. And best of all, there aren't any annoying sketches interupting the review. Well, there is one, but it was surprisingly actually pretty funny.

Sylinde Bren likes this.
  8. Pig's Laundry

Yet another really good episode, and once again, no sketches! Have Doug and Rob been listening to the fans? :excited:

9. D'Snowth

Is he still shaving his head?

10. Pig's Laundry

He must be, unless his hair grows reeeally, really slowly.

11. D'Snowth

I forget if I said this before, but I feel like the sketches could work better if they were entirely separate in their own series - like if Channel Awesome did their own SNL or MADtv kind of thing? I feel like that could conceivably work, and it could certainly make the sketches a little more tolerable when they're being showcased on their own and not disrupting a Nostalgia Critic review.

12. D'Snowth

After watching the new episode all the way through, I'm reminded how even still to this day, Kath Soucie continues to be one of my top favorite voice actresses of all time - her voice work is always amazing, and I can see why NC is going nuts over Tuffy's re-enactment of the tunnel of fear.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  13. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, somehow I never get tired of her voice. There are a lot of great voice actors out there, but sometimes even they play characters that don't fit them. But, somehow Kath's voice always seems to fit. I especially love the voice she uses for Tuffy and Lil from Rugrats. It's a very cute voice, but it's not bland, generic, or grating.

14. D'Snowth

I love that particular voice too, I always had it in the back of my mind when thinking of what kind of voice I'd like for one of my puppets.

15. D'Snowth

I see more people are still vlogging on YouTube about why they left Channel Awesome, and while most of them still remain vague about their decisions, one girl actually goes into detail explaining why she decided to terminate her time with them, and honestly, from what she's saying, it sounds almost exactly like the issues TV Tropes has been having for the past few years: becoming too rulesy, being inconsistent with their rules, not explaining the rules clearly to producers, lack of communication with producers, looking for any little mistake to hold against the producers despite all of their other contributions, then putting all the blame for these problems on the producers themselves for not staying on top of the rules and everything . . . all things TV Tropes has been doing in recent years.

On top of that, she also offers up the suggestion that Channel Awesome has simply grown too big for them to handle themselves properly and efficiently.

16. mr3urious

Now NC has reviewed The Sorcerer's Apprentice, a live-action remake of that famous segment from Fantasia starring Nicolas Cage, except you could have called it by any other name and it would be the same dang thing. It was a huge flop and all but forgotten about in its time.

https://vid.me/aaCJ6

17. mr3urious

The Critic now takes a look at the first episode of the DuckTales reboot, and surprise surprise, he really likes it.

https://vid.me/lqqnD

I never noticed that the dogface girl in the lobby with Donald (and apparently near the end having quickly taken a job as an anchorwoman) looked like Roxanne, if she's not actually supposed to be her. And yeah, Flinty's henchmen are pretty pathetic if they were able to be beaten by a bunch of kids, especially Gabby "Ways of the Blade" McStabberson. Considering how cheap they were, either she's BS-ing, or those were some really crappy monks she was trained by.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  18. Pig's Laundry

Ah, I was wondering if he was going to talk about the new show considering he's a fan of the original, and it also has a bit of a Gravity Falls vibe to it, and he likes that show too.

19. mr3urious

Funny, the reboot is co-developed by Francisco Agnones, who was a storyboard artist on GF. So it's no surprise that it kinda feels like that show. :)

20. Pig's Laundry

I think there are actually quite a few people working on it who worked on GF, including Dana Terrace. I only know who she is because she recently hosted a charity live-stream with Rebecca Sugar, Ian JQ, and Alex Hirsch.