1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frogboy4, Sep 6, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Save for a brief cameo from that Malcolm guy . . . yay! Another new episode without the pointless skits and unnecessary additional castmembers!

http://channelawesome.com/horton-hears-a-who-nostalgia-critic/

That being said, let's be honest . . . HORTON HEARS A WHO! was popular for one reason, and one reason only: JoJo the token emo teen. He's the only reason this movie was popular.

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's honestly the only part I remember. Say what you will about The Lorax movie but at least it had some personality.

3. D'Snowth

One thing I will say about Horton, and I've said this before, that it's further proof, IMHO, that Steve Carell is a much better voice actor than he is a live action actor, because it seems like he brings a certain range of emotion and connection to characters he voices, that his live action characters never have, his live action characters are always so bland, deadpan, wooden, emotionless, and robotic, and really makes me wonder how he continued to get so much work for the longest time there.

4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

On the flipside, this was Jim Carrey's first (and so far only) voice acting role, and it left much to be desired compared to his live-action roles. I agree with Drtooth in that Fox could have saved a lot of money by hiring Matt Frewer instead, but as we've seen before, big-name celebrity recognition trumps all else.

Also, that random hand-drawn anime sequence doesn't look a thing like real anime. They really should have commissioned Toei or something if they couldn't get it right themselves.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  5. D'Snowth

Well, again, that was the real reason we ended up with Jason Lee (mis)cast as Dave and other big-name celebrities voicing the Chipmunks and Chipettes in those Fox movies.

6. D'Snowth

Oh, I'm curious about something . . . why is is that halfway through the newer reviews, we dissolve to the logo, fade to black, fade back to the logo, then dissolve back to the review? It almost feels like leading in and out of a commercial break if this were a TV, but it otherwise seems . . . pointless and confusing.

7. mr3urious

Because that's where the commercial break is placed. Guess you have all your ad blockers on like I do.

8. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's for the ad break.

I don't really watch the reviews these days, but I wish he'd come up with a smoother transition; they're kinda clunky.

9. D'Snowth

You, sir, would be correct.

Though I know there was a review or two that included an integrated commercial for a denim company, where Doug keeps boasting, "You can have my *** in jean form!" Yeah, no thanks!

10. mr3urious

D'oh! I forgot about Carrey's 2nd VA role, which was Mr. Scrooge('s corpse) in Imagemovers' A Christmas Carol. Really goes to show how memorable that one was when I forgot it the first time. :p

11. D'Snowth

To be fair, look how times A CHRISTMAS CAROL has been done - save for MCC, and MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL, how many of them really, really stand out?

mr3urious likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

In a minor nitpick regarding the old Top 11 Villain Songs review, I'm not entirely sure that "Shiver My Timbers" from MTI is necessarily a villain song . . . I think perhaps "Professional Pirate" is more an actual villain song. But then again, giving Doug some benefit, he said in the review he had only discovered the song "Shiver My Timbers" and hadn't seen the rest of the movie.

13. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Wall-E is 10 years old this year.
    I was nearly 6 when I saw that film...
    Jesus