The Nostalgia Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You guys are aware they make records again, right? And that you can get record players at like Walmart, Best Buy, and places like that, right?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
You guys are aware they make records again, right? And that you can get record players at like Walmart, Best Buy, and places like that, right?
Oh yeah,plus I saw some at Barnes and Noble. I'm actually sort of interested in buying a few.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For hipsters and D.J.'s... and Hipster D.J.'s.

They've had those for a while. Almost bought a Dexter's Lab 45 (it was a couple of the songs from the Dexter's Lab hip hop concept album), and it was like 2 bucks, but never did. And just out of novelty of course.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
For hipsters and D.J.'s... and Hipster D.J.'s.

They've had those for a while. Almost bought a Dexter's Lab 45 (it was a couple of the songs from the Dexter's Lab hip hop concept album), and it was like 2 bucks, but never did. And just out of novelty of course.
Aw man,I wish I had seen that.Would've made a great collectors item.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Records are also great for providing uncompressed sound quality that's practically immune to the so-called "loudness war" where music producers try to screw with the dynamic range of recordings and make them more noticeable at the cost of making them more distorted and even unbearably loud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

PuppetMad

Reaction score
I remember loving a show called Play Bus which was called Play Days before that, great old puppet/live action show, and Rainbow. Of course Sesame Street, I think I watched most things with puppets in. As I got older the obvious come to mind TMNT and He man, Thundercats. Art Attack was always a favourite (pre Disney) never could make my stuff look like neils. As for films I drove my family crazy with the film Little Monsters with Fred Savage in, every time we went to the local video rental I would say can we get this, I knew where it was on the shelf, until it went missing every time we went in, I found out later my mum would phone the rental shop and ask the lady ( a family friend) to take it off the shelf so it looked like it was out, just so as I wouldn't whinge to have it.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I did have a kid-friendly record player. All you had to do was put the record on the turntable and close the lid. I just had to share with my older sister. I had my Sesame LP's, she had her Partridge Family albums.
I had the first four Sesame albums and a few knockoffs. One was the Peter Pan record with the grotesque drawing of Ernie on the cover. The tracks were covers of tunes from the first season ("Spinning Wheel", "Up Up and Away", etc).
Disneyland records released their version of Sesame's first LP, the most hysterical track is Thurl Ravenscroft (the voice of Tony the Tiger, and " You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch") singing "Bein' Green" I still can't listen to it and keep a straight face.

The biggest kick my sister and I ever got was playing records at different speeds. All record players had 33 1/3 and 45, but we also loved slowing them down to 16, or speeding them up to 78, where everything sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks on a sugar rush.

I've found a few old blues records from the 1920's you play at 78, but I've never seen any 16's.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Does anybody remember a show in the VERY early 2000s about gymnast Mary Lou Retton teaching kids exercize. The show had very bright colors and people in monster/animal costumes. One guy was dressed like a green monkey, another guy looked like an orange bigfoot, and the third guy was an owl. I asked Mom what the show was called and she said Mary Lou's Flip Flop Shop, so I looked it up and found it! For the longest time I thought I was crazy or that I dreamed the whole thing but there it was. Now that I know it's real, I'm just curious to know if anybody else has seen/heard of this show because I asked my close friends (who are also 2000s kids) and they thought I was making it up/had dreamed it.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Does anybody remember a show in the VERY early 2000s about gymnast Mary Lou Retton teaching kids exercize. The show had very bright colors and people in monster/animal costumes. One guy was dressed like a green monkey, another guy looked like an orange bigfoot, and the third guy was an owl. I asked Mom what the show was called and she said Mary Lou's Flip Flop Shop, so I looked it up and found it! For the longest time I thought I was crazy or that I dreamed the whole thing but there it was. Now that I know it's real, I'm just curious to know if anybody else has seen/heard of this show because I asked my close friends (who are also 2000s kids) and they thought I was making it up/had dreamed it.
I do!

I also remember a show called Mustard Pancakes as well.