The Number Painter Segments

Frodis

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering about the segments with Paul Benedict as the number painter. I know there were segments from numbers as low as 3 up to at least 11. Can anyone here briefly describe what happens in each numbered segment? I'm trying to recall them all. Thanks!

Frodis

mikealan

Reaction score
Here are all of the number painter segments, in which they never did '1' and '12'. I think they've only have done 2 to 11.

2-the number painter is at the harbor. He paints a number on the sailboat. The photos of this sketch can be shown on the Sesame Street Unpaved book.

3-the painter is having a picnic with the lady. He uses ketchup, mustard and mayonneise to make a ketchup number, a mustard number, and a mayo number on his sandwich. At the very end, he paints a number on the lady's lips as he goes "3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, etc." This sketch can be shown on show#1037 and #2208.

4-we see the painter walking down the Brooklyn-style block and spots a lady holding an umbrella. He, of course, paints a number on it. As the bucket of water fell down to the umbrella, the number is still there. This sketch can be shown on show#355, and I have it on tape.

5-the painter is at the zoo. He paints a number on the gorilla's head and on the gorilla's ball.

6-we see the painter at the bakery. The baker puts the cake on the table, so the painter decorates the number on the cake by using icing. As the baker returns, he eats the piece of the cake and...SPLAT! He slaps it on the painter's face! This sketch can be shown on show#2096 and #2123, and I have it on my old tape which it features my first Sesame Street shows I watched when I was born in 1987.

7-the painter is by the elevator. I think he paints the number on the man's package and on the football player, because he doesn't have a number. This sketch can be shown on show#2059 and #2358.

8-the scene is the pool. The bald-headed man rests there and there is a sign called "PAINTER STRIKES AGAIN!" The painter, of course, walks out of the pool and paints a number on the bald-headed man's head. The man started to become angry and chases the painter away. This sketch can be shown on show#2124, #2293 and #2356.

9-the painter is walking down the streets. He paints the number on the street signs. This sketch can be shown on show#2073 and #2125.

10-the painter paints a number on the stool. The bald-headed man sits on it and eats a banana. When the man gets up, he has the number on his back.

11-the scene is the nurse's office. The painter paints the number on the nurse's window.

Hope these descriptions of these segments work.

Frodis

Reaction score
Thanks for the descriptions Mikealan! I don't think I've ever seen #5 before. Also, I remember on #11, the bald guy that appears in a few of the other Painter segments comes along and squeegees away the number from the window. Shortly thereafter, the painter is mistakenly pulled into the doctor's office from the waiting room.

Another thing that I thought was funny was during the #10 segment, the bald guy sits on the bar stool and pulls out a banana. He then proceeds to peel it and eat it, but not before shaking some SALT on it! That doesn't sound too tasty. Heh.

Frodis

ssetta

Reaction score
Number 4 was also seen in Unpaved #2257.

I have actually never seen #6.

I remember seeing #7 in show Unpaved show #1090, but not the others.

I saw #8 in 2293, but not the others that you mentioned. It was also in 1446.

#9 was in 2073, but not 2125.

Where are you getting those?

mikealan

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Where are you getting those?
I'm just wonderin' if the number versions of the painter were seen on the episodes I've mentioned the numbers were sponsored on any of the episodes that were seen on the SSU episode guide.

superboober

Reaction score
I think there might have been a 12 sequence, but I forget the specifics.

dvakman

Reaction score
I'm still looking for #2. If anyone has it, please let me know!

I'm pretty sure there was a #12 too. I've got it somewhere...

Xerus

Reaction score
That painter was kind of a vandal. Painting things on people's property and even a bald man's head. And how about when the guy started chasing the painter? They're kind of setting a bad example for kids by running around the pool.

ISNorden

Reaction score
In all the years I've seen Sesame Street, nobody ever wrote an official number-painter sketch for #12. I say "official" because I have dim memories of fanscript additions for #1 and #12...on another Sesame Street forum which no longer exists, unfortunately. Maybe some of you have read those same fanscripts while they were still floating around the Net... :confused:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Xerus said:
That painter was kind of a vandal. Painting things on people's property and even a bald man's head. And how about when the guy started chasing the painter? They're kind of setting a bad example for kids by running around the pool.
*sigh* That's probably why the producers dropped the number-painter clips; grafitti has become such a problem in the inner cities that cops will suspect any young person carrying art supplies. It's sad that anyone blamed Sesame Street for vandalism, though. After all, the number painter usually lands in trouble (or at least makes someone very angry) after finishing his "job"; the writers did their best to show that crime didn't pay.

Why did Sesame Workshop not realize that part of the lesson? Did they assume that just because no one yells "Don't try this at home", a child in their target audience is too stupid to figure that out? Besides, most pre-kindergarten kids haven't developed the kind of coordination they'd need to "tag" random people and things. (I doubt that a typical parent with kids that young is permissive enough to let them scrawl all over the house, either. If Mom and Dad are that bad at discipline, they shouldn't blame a TV show when the teacher sends a note about their child's writing on walls...)