The Official Iron Man Thread.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
We're all having such a fun time with the Spider-Man 3/Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and X-Men threads that I decided to make one for my personal favorite (human) Marvel hero, Iron Man, who will be making his way to the big screen exactly a year from today.

The film, which is directed by Jon Favreau (Made, Elf, Zathura), centers on Tony Stark, a billionaire arms dealer who creates a life support suit to assist him after a life threatening accident. Eventually, he decides to use it to fight crime. Robert Downey Jr. will be playing Stark/Iron Man.

Terrence Howard plays Stark's friend and colleague, Jim Rhodes.

Gwyneth Paltrow plays his secretary and love interest, Virginia 'Pepper' Potts.

Jeff Bridges plays Obadiah Stane, Stark's mentor.

Leslie Bibb plays a reporter.

Shaun Toub and Bill Smitrovich play unspecified roles, although if I had to guess what Toub's role is, I'd guess the Mandarin, the villain that Stark will be facing in this film.

The script was written by Arthur Marcum & Matt Holloway, along with Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby.

Stan Winston and his team will be doing the visual effects for the movie. They've worked on the Terminator, Predator, and Jurassic Park series, as well as Aliens, The Thing, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, and A.I.

Here's what Robert Downey Jr. looks like sans Iron Man costume...

And here's what the very first Iron Man costume looks like...

And here's what the official Mach III Iron Man armor looks like!

Yes, that IS what the suit will look like IN the film.

I'm so excited for this that I may pass out.

Has he lost his mind? Can he see or his he blind? Can he walk at all? Or if he moves, will he fall? Is he alive or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?

-Jack

sesameguy

Reaction score
I read Iron Man for a bit back in the 1980s, when Tony Stark had his drinking problem. It was definitely a well-written comic. I can remember overhearing a conversation between two comic fans at the time, one saying that Iron Man had the best writing of any comic book.

The movie sounds cool. Thanks for the links to the photos! It's really amazing how many Marvel superheroes are getting movies. If anyone had told me back in the 1970s that "Ghost Rider" would be in his own movie, I wouldn't have believed it! But now it's Iron Man's turn. Should be fun!