The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In our rants and whines of Christmas being overhyped too early and overshadowing Thanksgiving, we're actually overlooking Thanksgiving ourselves; so its (past) time to bump our Thanksgiving thread!

Gobble, gobble, gobble!

Y'know, several years ago, I wrote a M*A*S*H fanfic that took place during Thanksgiving since it was just about the only holiday we didn't see them celebrate on the show, so check it out sometime; I haven't written too many M*A*S*H fics, but I think I did a good job:
M*A*S*H: Thanks for Nothing

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'll just move this here from the Christmas thread:

In other news, I think I found a new Thanksgiving tradition. I finally decided to sit down and watch the reportedly iconic "Turkeys Away" episode of Cincinnati WKRP. At first, I was a little underwhelmed since this episode had been so hyped on shows like I Love the 70s, but it has grown on me the past couple of days as I've watched it on the Kindle while food shopping, etc. I especially love how, since they couldn't afford to show actual turkeys on a sitcom budget, it's all up to the actors to sell the moment: "I really don't know how to describe it. It was like the turkeys mounted a counter-attack! It was almost as if they were...organized!" Lol :insatiable:

snichols1973

Reaction score

Here's an interesting tidbit of Thanksgiving trivia: Turkeys were virtually unknown to Europeans prior to the discovery of the Americas because they are chiefly native to North America, and were introduced to Europe by Spanish explorers after discovering the Americas.

Although native to North America, the turkey probably got its name from the domesticated variety being imported to Britain in ships coming from the Levant via Spain. The British at the time therefore associated the wild turkey with the country Turkey and the name prevails.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't watch EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND too often, it's a nice show to watch every once in a while, but they had a really funny Thanksgiving episode involving a tofurkey:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oy vey. Half the family has suddenly gone vegan, which seriously alters the Thanksgiving menu this year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is on tonight.

So isn't that hideously dull "This is America, Charlie Brown" pilgrim episode.

I never really liked that miniseries, since it wasn't what Peanuts was all about, and it shows. I had a lot of faith that the new movie would be a love letter to Schulz's characters, and it was exactly that. Now, while I get the idea of Peanuts characters teaching American History, in the end, it's like those Popeye learns new careers comics. The educational content pushed what made these guys special aside. Of course, these aren't that bad. I admire what they tried to accomplish, but am not a fan of the execution. Except the actual peanuts-esque one where they're in the Space Shuttle. That one's excellent and lets the characters be themselves. Which is the problem I have with this episode.

Now, I can overlook the obvious. They needed the adults to be seen and heard. And they got the likes of Frank Welker and Gregg Berger to voice them too. There's no way the lesson would work or the plot would move forward without these historic figures. It's the Peanuts characters who feel out of place in their own cartoon. Their personalities are pushed aside for educational narration, and only tiny flecks of them pop through. And when they do, it's thin and barely appropriate anyway. Like the completely thrown in "Schroeder plays the Linus and Lucy song and everyone dances" ending. I swear, half the time the characters are on screen they're just telling Charlie Brown exactly what historical moment he's witnessing at the same time as everyone else. And the Thanksgiving one is the most boring.

But do check out the Space Shuttle one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't believe I've never shared this in this thread, but at any rate, here's a most amusing Thanksgiving video: