The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving never gets the respect it deserves. The Christmas and Halloween ones are beloved classics everyone can quote like Monty Python, and every Halloween and Christmas episode of something mentions gags from either two. Dinky trees and getting rocks for Halloween are a thing, popcorn and pretzel stick dinners aren't.
I think people remember Charlie Brown and the gang having popcorn and ice cream on Thanksgiving. My Aunt fondly recalled that they made toast, lol. And really, not much else goes on the special. Everybody is just sort of waiting around for dinner. Same as real life Thanksgiving! :smile:

I guess it's a matter of timing. The Halloween and Christmas specials were made pretty close together, same generation of viewers. The Thanksgiving special was made almost 10 years later.

Easter Beagle is the really obscure one; honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it myself!

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The one quote I do remember from the Thanksgiving special is Sally moaning it's Turkey Day,

"And I haven't even finished my Halloween candy!!!!!!!!!" 8(

Now, how much Halloween candy can she still have stashed away when she was out with Linus in the pumpkin patch all night?

Just a minor continuity error. Whoops!

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The one quote I do remember from the Thanksgiving special is Sally moaning it's Turkey Day,

"And I haven't even finished my Halloween candy!!!!!!!!!" 8(

Now, how much Halloween candy can she still have stashed away when she was out with Linus in the pumpkin patch all night?
Lol, yes! That's always what I think when I hear that line too.

Another thing, it's fascinating how Mr. Great Pumpkin Linus always manages to pull it together to somehow be the mature one with the inspirational speeches on Thanksgiving and Christmas, lol.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember the Easter Beagle as well. Linus makes another delusional claim about the rituals of Easter. But thanks to Snoopy, he actually comes through and redeems himself after the Great Pumpkin debacle.

And Marcie sets a world's record for killing eggs. Patty was ready to strangle her. 8)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I remember the Easter Beagle as well. Linus makes another delusional claim about the rituals of Easter. But thanks to Snoopy, he actually comes through and redeems himself after the Great Pumpkin debacle.

And Marcie sets a world's record for killing eggs. Patty was ready to strangle her. 8)
...Ohhhhh yeah, I kinda remember this. Maybe it was on the Disney Channel or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Before I take part in any Peanuts TV special reminiscing and discussion, ToughPigs did the entire Muppet fandom a huge favor by tackling an annual annoyance...the poorly drawn "Sesame Street characters sit down to a feast of Big Bird" cartoon

I HATE that thing. It wasn't funny the first time, and it grows unfunny with each and every year. Not because I'm offended by the thought of the death and consumption of a beloved character, but because the joke was done far better themselves in the Muppet Family Christmas special. It's not so much "animal character=food. funny" so much as the Chef being convinced to cook Big Bird, having Big completely oblivious to this fact, and knocking out the Chef over and over with clumsy body movements. Sylvester eating Tweety isn't funny (though cathartic), it's how Sylvester keeps almost getting there, getting horribly injured, and going back for more.

Seriously. I HATE Animal=food=funny done lazily. Though ALF's celebrity cat cookbook from Mad Magazine was an absolute delight.

Easter Beagle is the really obscure one; honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it myself!

You think that's bad? Ever hear of "It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown"? Not only have I never seen this special, the only reason I even know about it is the inside covers of the 1980's released VHS in clamshell casing (clear, so you could see the inside cover printing, unlike the more familiar Disney clamshell releases) advertised other titles. Supposedly this was the last special to feature Vince Guaraldi. You think it would have been circulated around on that, at least from a fandom perspective. But the complete obscurity of the holiday (unless it's the punchline to a joke), it's no wonder why it disappeared. It's on one of the volume releases of TV specials WB released a while back, and no doubt out of print, and possibly online. And that's not including the non-Holiday specials, even though they were produced all the way up into the last decade with "He's a Bully" and "Lucy must be Traded." But props to ABC for airing the New Year's special in recent years.

As for Thanksgiving specials, the Garfield one really deserves some love too. Jon screwing up dinner to impress Liz after pathetic attempts to have her for a guest. Garfield being put on a diet and abusing the scale because it thinks he's Orson Welles. This one actually had some good diet gags in there as well, not to mention giving the real star of the Christmas special, Grandma Arbuckle, another time to shine.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whyyyyyy do all these paaarrrooodieeees always make Biiiig Biiiiird sound like he talks like Penny Maaarrrshaaalllll?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Before I take part in any Peanuts TV special reminiscing and discussion, ToughPigs did the entire Muppet fandom a huge favor by tackling an annual annoyance...the poorly drawn "Sesame Street characters sit down to a feast of Big Bird" cartoon

I HATE that thing. It wasn't funny the first time, and it grows unfunny with each and every year. Not because I'm offended by the thought of the death and consumption of a beloved character, but because the joke was done far better themselves in the Muppet Family Christmas special. It's not so much "animal character=food. funny" so much as the Chef being convinced to cook Big Bird, having Big completely oblivious to this fact, and knocking out the Chef over and over with clumsy body movements. Sylvester eating Tweety isn't funny (though cathartic), it's how Sylvester keeps almost getting there, getting horribly injured, and going back for more.

Seriously. I HATE Animal=food=funny done lazily. Though ALF's celebrity cat cookbook from Mad Magazine was an absolute delight.

You think that's bad? Ever hear of "It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown"? Not only have I never seen this special, the only reason I even know about it is the inside covers of the 1980's released VHS in clamshell casing (clear, so you could see the inside cover printing, unlike the more familiar Disney clamshell releases) advertised other titles. Supposedly this was the last special to feature Vince Guaraldi. You think it would have been circulated around on that, at least from a fandom perspective. But the complete obscurity of the holiday (unless it's the punchline to a joke), it's no wonder why it disappeared. It's on one of the volume releases of TV specials WB released a while back, and no doubt out of print, and possibly online. And that's not including the non-Holiday specials, even though they were produced all the way up into the last decade with "He's a Bully" and "Lucy must be Traded." But props to ABC for airing the New Year's special in recent years.

As for Thanksgiving specials, the Garfield one really deserves some love too. Jon screwing up dinner to impress Liz after pathetic attempts to have her for a guest. Garfield being put on a diet and abusing the scale because it thinks he's Orson Welles. This one actually had some good diet gags in there as well, not to mention giving the real star of the Christmas special, Grandma Arbuckle, another time to shine.
I only saw the Arbor Day special once, it's that rare. The only memorable gag was Patty's explanation of the day's significance.

"That's the day the ships sail into the (h)Arbor!"
Another D- for Peanuts' token tomboy.