The Old Cartoon Network Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sarah at least likes Double D, we know that much, because she had a major crush on him throughout the series. Jimmy seems to likewise mostly hold contempt for Eddy - remember that episode where they made Ed cool? "Swiggety-swag, what's in the bag?" When Jimmy realized the cool guy was Ed, he looked around and asked, "Uh, is Eddy here?"

But yeah, Sarah's like an evil version of D.W. from Arthur, lol.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
On a slightly different note. Did we ever see the characters leave their neighborhood? I don't fully recall.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The movie sent the Eds on a trek to find Eddy's brother, while the rest of the kids hunted them down.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well even during the Genndy years of the show, Dexter started out having a slightly taller head than we got used to, particularly in those that were originally What A Cartoon! pilots.
Funny thing is, I have this medium sized Dexter figure from Trendmasters standing on a shelf, and when the new episodes were on, I was highly suspect of how the toy looked, but once the older episodes cycled back, the toy looked perfect.

I have to admit, at least I do like the streamlined look of the later episodes, unlike the PPG's post movie designs (though, oddly have no problem with the girls' redesigns themselves).

It's just uncomfortable to watch. It doesn't help that the most unlikable characters seem to get the most screen time. I mean, Ed's already a bit of a jerk, does everyone else have to be? Are there even enough characters for that?
I give the show a lot of credit for being slightly uncomfortable to watch. I mean, I grew up with Care Bears and The Get Along Gang, stuff where everyone's happy and gets along and things are always fine. If there's one thing that the show captures beautifully it's the level of alienation and clique mindedness that's the dark side of mid-late stage childhood. It seems that Double D could easily be friends with any of the rest of the group (maybe not Kevin), but seems to only hang out with the other 2 Eds because they'd be the only ones to approach him and/or the only ones he'd approach. Seems that the kids don't so much hate Edd or even to some extent Ed, but Eddy is the source of constant nuisance, so by association, the kids in the neighborhood hate them. The Eds share an us against the world brotherhood, though it's Eddy's fault that the world's against them in the first place.

Not to mention the other characters (maybe not Naz) have some strange issues of their own. Jimmy is struggling early with his sexuality or gender role, so Sarah acts as the supportive friend to keep him from getting hurt, thus making Sarah a little defensive. She also has some sibling issues with Ed. Johnny has some strange emotional attachment to his transitional object, which seems to be barely holding back any of his weirdness, if not outright insanity. And of course Kevin the bully, who I really do like that they don't make out to be a buff but sensitive type that we're supposed to sympathize with. While he could easily pick on the other children (sometimes he does ever so slightly), he focuses on the Eds, and it seems that he's the reason the kids are kinda against them other than Eddy's schemes and trouble making.

The Kankers are straight up rapists and stalkers, though.

The movie sent the Eds on a trek to find Eddy's brother, while the rest of the kids hunted them down.
And let's not forget the episodes where they go to a completely desolate junior high school...on second though, let's forget it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jimmy is struggling early with his sexuality or gender role, so Sarah acts as the supportive friend to keep him from getting hurt, thus making Sarah a little defensive.
I notice the consensus of most fans is that Jimmy is gay for those very reasons, however, I don't necessarily believe that makes him gay. I confess when I was like three and four years old, I went through a phase where I wanted to play with girl toys, not because I felt like a girl, or that I associated myself with girliness or anything like, but certain girl toys just looked fun, like the dollhouses that came with family figurines that could talk when you moved them from room to room, or a Barbie jeep thing that had like a play carphone with it (I had one of those Little Tikes cars, so to me, the Barbie jeep seemed like a step up). Jimmy, to me, seems like he's going through a similar phase, just on a bigger scale.

But the main reason I don't think Jimmy is gay is because it's clear he's got a crush on Sarah: not only does he call her his girlfriend, but remember when he fell into a jealous rage when Sarah developed a crush on Double D? Not only that, but there was one time when he was playing dolls with Sarah, but he actually had like a G.I. Joe expy, to which he remarked how he wanted to be like when he grew up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking at some old WAC shorts on YouTube, I had actually forgotten how a number of them were actually done by Butch Hartman: HILLBILLY BLUE, both PFISH N CHIP shorts, GRAMPS, and I know he also did work on Johnny B. and Dexter. And interestingly enough, these shorts really don't resemble his style on FOP that much.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Looking at some old WAC shorts on YouTube, I had actually forgotten how a number of them were actually done by Butch Hartman: HILLBILLY BLUE, both PFISH N CHIP shorts, GRAMPS, and I know he also did work on Johnny B. and Dexter. And interestingly enough, these shorts really don't resemble his style on FOP that much.
Butch's shorts on WAC aren't very similar to the actual show, but you can still see a few similarities with those and his original "Oh Yeah Cartoons!" FOP shorts.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I tried watching several episodes of ED EDD N' EDDY recently because I hadn't watched it in a few years. But I just really couldn't get into it, mostly because almost all the characters are such unpleasant brats. Sure, I understand they don't like the Eds (Edds?) because they're scam artists, but still. It's just uncomfortable to watch. It doesn't help that the most unlikable characters seem to get the most screen time. I mean, Ed's already a bit of a jerk, does everyone else have to be? Are there even enough characters for that?
There was a period of time while I was really into EEnE, roughly 7th grade, when I thought a majority of the kids were like bullies as well. I'm not sure if you've seen this episode, but Eddy was under pressure because Kevin revealed his middle name was Skipper, then Double D consoles him by revealing his middle name - Marian - and then most of the kids were making fun and laughing at him at the end. I just sort of felt sorry for Edd being made fun of by the others or something, and that's when I started considering some of the other Cul-de-Sac kids as bullies. Heck, I was so sensitive about some of the content during that that I would even give specific episodes of the show a content rating based on the scale at Newgrounds.com (Everyone, Teen, Mature, Adult). Don't ask me why, but I just liked making wacky lists for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, but I probably wouldn't get into the show again if I watched an episode. I think 7th grade was really the biggest time I was interested in the show, and after watching a lot of episodes and downloading pics and reading fan fiction, my interest just kinda drifted on. I feel I'm a bit old to watch the show now, but I like to keep the memories with me; I still read funny dialogue from the episodes occasionally.

I did find this behind-the-scenes video a couple of months ago, though. I never heard the actors' real voices before I saw it, and I'm surprised how so different Matt, Sam and Tony sound from their characters:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I did find this behind-the-scenes video a couple of months ago, though. I never heard the actors' real voices before I saw it, and I'm surprised how so different Matt, Sam and Tony sound from their characters:

Oh, that was a bonus DVD that came with the Mis Ed-ventures video game - I still have both of those, lol.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oh, that was a bonus DVD that came with the Mis Ed-ventures video game - I still have both of those, lol.
Oh, harharhar, how sad! You still watch a show for little kids... :rolleyes:

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go watch some Sesame Street on Youtube now.:wink:
The Kankers are straight up rapists and stalkers, though.
Truth
There was a period of time while I was really into EEnE, roughly 7th grade, when I thought a majority of the kids were like bullies as well. I'm not sure if you've seen this episode, but Eddy was under pressure because Kevin revealed his middle name was Skipper, then Double D consoles him by revealing his middle name - Marian - and then most of the kids were making fun and laughing at him at the end. I just sort of felt sorry for Edd being made fun of by the others or something, and that's when I started considering some of the other Cul-de-Sac kids as bullies. Heck, I was so sensitive about some of the content during that that I would even give specific episodes of the show a content rating based on the scale at Newgrounds.com (Everyone, Teen, Mature, Adult). Don't ask me why, but I just liked making wacky lists for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, but I probably wouldn't get into the show again if I watched an episode. I think 7th grade was really the biggest time I was interested in the show, and after watching a lot of episodes and downloading pics and reading fan fiction, my interest just kinda drifted on. I feel I'm a bit old to watch the show now, but I like to keep the memories with me; I still read funny dialogue from the episodes occasionally.

I give the show a lot of credit for being slightly uncomfortable to watch. I mean, I grew up with Care Bears and The Get Along Gang, stuff where everyone's happy and gets along and things are always fine
In my dissection of the series (yes, I've done that, lol), I've come to the conclusion that it's just Eddy the other cul-de-sac kids really hated. On those rare occasions where just Ed and/or Double D are by themselves, you'll notice the other kids don't even seem to mind them at all - there's even been a couple of occasions where Kevin engaged in pleasant/friendly conversation with just Double D. I think it's mainly Eddy's influence, because he's the little pest of the group, and Ed and Double D mainly just go along with him because he's the leader of their group.
Still, their are a lot of things I enjoy about the show, and like I said, I hadn't watched it in a while, so that probably had something to do with it. I didn't mean to sound like I hated the show or anything. I guess it's just one of those shows I can only take in moderation :smirk: