1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I think that might have been the 13th Annual Fancy Anvil Awards (or whatever it was called) from back in 2002. I don't remember much from it other than it had some guest stars presenting segments, including the late great Robin Williams. And it had a Chuck Jones tribute too, IIRC.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Wasn't Mary Hart one of the guests too? I'm suddenly remembering in the back of my mind an old promo with Dexter doing a voice-over announcing the celebrity guests, and saying the name, "Mary Hart" in a love-struck voice, lol.

3. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

4. D'Snowth

Oh, and I remember a couple of other examples:

Cow and Chicken had one of the first games on CartoonNetwork.com (I'm pretty sure I shared a Let's Play of it in this thread).

Remember in the beginning when "The Cartoon Network Thing to Do" was presented by a generic singing cow? When they revamped the segment during the Powerhouse Era, they threw in a random generic chicken into the mix as well, who bore a resemblance to Chicken.

5. D'Snowth

I know I've said before that MIKE, LU & OG feels more like an abandoned Nicktoon that Cartoon Network adopted, between the Klasky-Csupo-esque character designs, Nika Futterman and Nancy Cartwright voicing two of the lead characters, and the cast of characters consisting of precocious kids and quirky/eccentric adults, but watching a couple of old episodes the other night, I came to notice that the overall look of the show seems very ARTHUR-esque as well: the animation has those disjointed outlines that ARTHUR uses in imitating Marc Brown's illustration style, and the backgrounds and layout have that same kind of watercolor illustration look ARTHUR is known for as well.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

Ummmm. . . .

At least Danny Antonucci likes it.

7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

What the bong?

8. D'Snowth

Danny actually shared it on Facebook last night, that's how I found out about it.

And yeah, it's legit.

9. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Ghetto black Ed, Edd 'N Eddy?

10. D'Snowth

So back in the spring, I put together this video compilation of what was something of a forgotten, transitional mini-era in CN's history that took place between the Checkerboard and Powerhouse eras from the summer of 1997 into the spring of 1998; not knowing what else to call it, I dubbed it the "Starburst" era, based on the design of many of the promos and commercials at the time:

And since then, not only has it apparently garnered its own page on CN's wiki:
    http://cartoonnetwork.wikia.com/wiki/Starburst

But now, somebody has done a video based on my previous compilation, further explaining in commentary why this short-lived era is all but forgotten in CN history:

Guess this makes me something of a CN historian. :p

11. D'Snowth

Since cable cartoons are able to get away with more and more these days that they couldn't back during the time of our childhoods (to wit, THE LOUD HOUSE having a gay couple), it makes me wonder if some of the episodes that were banned back in the day would actually be okay today? Like the DIAL 'M' FOR MONKEY episode with the effeminate parody of Silver Surfer, or the infamous "Buffalo Gals" episode of COW AND CHICKEN.

And come to think of it, I really wonder if previously banned episodes of CN shows will ever see the light of day again? The banned ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE episodes "Leap Frogs" and "Heff in a Handbasket" were not aired on Nicktoons, but they're on DVD as well.

12. D'Snowth

EEE's freakin' twenty now!

I still remember, vividly, as a kid, all of the hype surrounding it as a new show on CN!

13. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Oh, now I see it.

But yeah.... I’m shocked myself. I remember how that show got me into Cartoon Network in 2002.

14. D'Snowth

CN actually had a really clever way of launching the advertising and promotional campaign for EEE in November 1998: they launched it after the first broadcast of the C&C episode "Night of the Ed."

15. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

And Ed, Edd, n Eddy is still the longest lasting Cartoon Network show.

16. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

It feels weird to call it that because it had so many hiatuses.

17. D'Snowth

Year-wise, yeah, but mainly because there was such a long gap between the original seasons and the uncanceled seasons, as well as the Big Picture Show; otherwise, I think Dexter as well as PPG lasted longer, episode-count-wise.

But then again, unlike Dexter and PPG, EEE also had separate, stand-alone holiday specials.

18. Any Del

Any Del Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My custom made T-shirt I got as a gift. Love it! :flirt:

D'Snowth and LittleJerry92 like this.
  19. D'Snowth

Boss!

Any Del likes this.
  20. Any Del

Any Del Well-Known Member

Definitely going to use it for presentations!