The Old Cartoon Network Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seems that earlier I Am Weasel cartoons were just I.R. being ticked off at how much better Weasel was, but as it progressed it just got...weird, and the show was just that much better for it.
I would've added that to TV Tropes if they would lift my suspension - which they won't - but yeah, IMW does have obvious Early Installment Weirdness to it: it seems to be its own self-contained universe separate from C&C, but after the first season, it's clear they share the same universe, and as you say, they go from being sworn enemies because Baboon is always dangerously jealous of Weasel, to being Victriolic Best Buds where Weasel is actually reduced to Baboon's sidekick on many occasions. Also, notice how Weasel is so much more god-like when the cartoon was part of C&C, but once it spun off on its own, Weasel becomes more of a Know-Nothing-Know-It-All whose Not So Above It All.

Strange thing is, I was watching AAAAAAAAH Real Monsters, and it really seems that, considering he was part of the cast, he almost based Red Guy off of the Gromble. The characters have the same effeminate vocal mannerisms and sadistic tones. If it's coincidental, that's a heck of a coincidence.
You're not the only one who noticed that connection. But then again, Red Guy also seems to share these characteristics with Mr. Dupette from RML as well (just minus the RANDOM SCREAMING FOR EMPHASIS!!!)
I really wish the show got more love from inside the demographic, but like Freakazoid, I don't think the wee ones the show was intended for could appreciate the weirdness of the series.
FREAKAZOID! was perhaps my favorite of the Spielberg-produced cartoons.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Remember that Dexter Duplication Contest? Each week I'd call in, and the only times I was able to get through were for the colormorph towel and the colormorph shirt. And you know what? I never got them. Never.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I would've added that to TV Tropes if they would lift my suspension - which they won't - but yeah, IMW does have obvious Early Installment Weirdness to it: it seems to be its own self-contained universe separate from C&C, but after the first season, it's clear they share the same universe, and as you say, they go from being sworn enemies because Baboon is always dangerously jealous of Weasel, to being Victriolic Best Buds where Weasel is actually reduced to Baboon's sidekick on many occasions. Also, notice how Weasel is so much more god-like when the cartoon was part of C&C, but once it spun off on its own, Weasel becomes more of a Know-Nothing-Know-It-All whose Not So Above It All.

You're not the only one who noticed that connection. But then again, Red Guy also seems to share these characteristics with Mr. Dupette from RML as well (just minus the RANDOM SCREAMING FOR EMPHASIS!!!)

Tiny Toon Adventures was THE best!!:wink:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Remember that Dexter Duplication Contest? Each week I'd call in, and the only times I was able to get through were for the colormorph towel and the colormorph shirt. And you know what? I never got them. Never.
Oh well. Also who won the 2000 election on Cartoon Network? I voted for Scooby.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That show was the magic rarity of no one knowing what they were doing with the show and having something wonderful come out of the nonsense. I'd say when they got to second season and they were more structured, a little bit of that magic flaked away. It was still a good show and all, but the show now had structure, so there were less experimental bits.

I just googled it,Scooby won.
Given the year this thing happened, it was pretty obvious. Wouldn't say it wasn't kinda rigged, but that's when Cartoon Network was like 50-70% Scooby-Doo.

That's the thing that I think most old school CN fans take for granted. Scooby pretty much was the network, minus some of the Cartoon Cartoons at the time to a lesser extent. Now it's kinda weird because they actually have a new Scooby-Doo show and while it was announced online months ago, it seemed to just appear on the network with little promotion. Considering also how they they treated the prior one, with that annoying hiatus in between seasons, that's a bit strange. Meanwhile Scooby has his presence known on Boomerang, which I swear should just be called the Scooby-Doo, Tom and Jerry, and Garfield Show network. At least Scooby has 3 or 4 different shows (Classic, New Scooby Movies, What's New, and a weekly Be Cool episode), Tom and Jerry have 2 (classics and the 2014 series), but Garfiled is only that specific show and they air it so many times a day.

BertsNose

Reaction score
Thanks for making this thread. I wish shows like Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls would return to reruns but I doubt that will ever happen.

Apparently there was a time when Rocky and Bullwinkle was on Cartoon Network. I don't remember if I had cable back then and I was like five years old in 1997 when this promo aired. I love Rocky and Bullwinkle now and wish I had seen it back then.

I also really miss Cartoon Cartoon Fridays from the early 2000s. I believe it started in 1999. I was in first grade but I don't think I watched its premiere. I had no idea it even existed until maybe 2000 or 2001.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yup, Rocky and Bullwinkle were usually on like in the middle of the night on Saturday nights. CN also gave the show a custom opening title sequence.

And CCF started in 1997, when Cartoon Cartoons did, however it had no personality then: the new episodes would air throughout the week (JOHNNY BRAVO on Monday nights, COW AND CHICKEN on Tuesday nights, DEXTER'S LABORATORY on Wednesday nights, and Thursday nights was usually for WHAT A CARTOON!s), then CCF would essentially be just an encore of that week's new episodes. CCF gained personality in 1999, but instead of having the CC characters themselves host it, they had live people doing promos in broadcast fashion, such as an astronomist who would see new episodes in constellations, planets, or meteors shaped like the characters, or a lottery host who would present characters on the balls instead of numbers, then there was a high school color guard and marching band that would perform the shows' theme songs. The CCF with the characters hosting didn't start till 2000.