The Old Cartoon Network Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I forgot about that one! Yeah, you're right, that one was a particularly bizarre installment, but then again, Dexter seemed to do episodes like that on occasion. While not as weird, the one where Dexter threw away Dee Dee's teddy bear comes to mind: Dee Dee went near-catatonic over that, prompting Dexter to them to the dump to get it back - inside a giant mole-shaped excavator. Or that "Dee Dee Locks and the Ness Monster" fairytale where she was a Dutch version of Goldilocks who befriends a three-headed sentient bagpipe (Silly-Ness, Grumpy-Ness, and Sleepy-Ness) . . . and there was a brick pig in there somewhere.

BertsNose

Reaction score
I forgot about that one! Yeah, you're right, that one was a particularly bizarre installment, but then again, Dexter seemed to do episodes like that on occasion. While not as weird, the one where Dexter threw away Dee Dee's teddy bear comes to mind: Dee Dee went near-catatonic over that, prompting Dexter to them to the dump to get it back - inside a giant mole-shaped excavator. Or that "Dee Dee Locks and the Ness Monster" fairytale where she was a Dutch version of Goldilocks who befriends a three-headed sentient bagpipe (Silly-Ness, Grumpy-Ness, and Sleepy-Ness) . . . and there was a brick pig in there somewhere.
I can't think of any other bizarre episodes off the top of my head but since you mentioned "Dee Dee Locks and the Ness Monster" I found that one funny for some reason. Or maybe I just liked hearing Dee Dee speak with a Dutch accent. Or was it Swedish? Recalling the episode in my head her accent sounded Swedish to me for some reason. I do agree that it is a little bit weird now that I think about it. I also remember the episode Drtooth mentioned "Trick or Treehouse". I don't ever remember seeing it as a kid so don't really have an opinion on it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Will this new series continue the story that was left wide open, or will it be a reboot? And since this is on Adult Swim, I hope the producers use that to take advantage of the more relaxed standards for violence and not as an excuse to be needlessly vulgar (*coughMrPicklescough*). I'm hoping Genndy has enough sway as exec. producer to make sure it doesn't go that route.

And I wonder if Phil Lamarr will return to voice Jack? And who will be the recast for Aku since Mako's unfortunate passing?

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
"I feel like it's culminating to a fever pitch almost." said Tartakovsky in a previous interview with ComicBook.com. "I feel like it's time to maybe finish the story. We've been trying to get the feature off the ground but maybe that's just fate's way of saying this is a television thing and maybe it should be a mini-series or something like that."

Well 2016 is certainly going to be an interesting year. The Magic School Bus,Samurai Jack,The Powerpuff Girls,Duck Tales.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Will this new series continue the story that was left wide open, or will it be a reboot? And since this is on Adult Swim, I hope the producers use that to take advantage of the more relaxed standards for violence and not as an excuse to be needlessly vulgar (*coughMrPicklescough*). I'm hoping Genndy has enough sway as exec. producer to make sure it doesn't go that route.
It doesn't say much, but considering what went down with Sim-Biotic Titan, I'm quite happy Genndy is on speaking terms with CN again. Reviving the show for the adult fanbase is a great idea, considering reruns of SJ were seen on Toonami (before CN shrank the line up for time shift reruns of Family Guy). I don't think they'd bother with it if they were just going to make it a sophomoric, mean spirited, substanceless thing like Mr. Pickles. Personally, I want to see more action based shows for adults. Even the action based ones are comedies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not as nostalgic for old school Cartoon Network as I am old school Nickelodeon, though I did watch it a lot when I first got the channel. Of course, I saw Cartoon Network closer to when it started than I did Nickelodeon (having missed out on 1980s Nick), and I was quite a bit older when I got CN (though I hadn't exactly felt I "outgrew" childrens programming... In fact for the most part I still don't think so, though for years I haven't been too excited for new "childrens programming" that wasn't based on anything established from my childhood).

I first heard of the channel when my grandparents, who had satellite, told me about it. I'd often watch the channel when I came over, and they recorded some CN programming on video for me and my cousins to watch as well. I assumed it was a satellite-only channel, and was surprised (and happy) when my cable provider added it.

I first got the channel in 1997, around the time that the first Cartoon Cartoon shows were premiering. My favorite of the early Cartoon Cartoons were Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, and The Powerpuff Girls. I'm not too interested in revisiting Cow and Chicken, I know I liked it better back then, but I still feel like I liked it a lot less than the other shows at the time. I also always found Ed, Edd & Eddy to be annoying (more so than Spongebob).

Even if I care more for old school Nickelodeon than Old School Cartoon Network, I do watch Cartoon Network a lot more today than Nick (mainly for Regular Show and Adult Swim).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been noticing that a number of Cartoon Network shows have episodes that are considered Christmas/holiday episodes without necessarily being so. Yeah, some did do proper Christmas episode: Weasel had two ("Happy Baboon Holidays," "I.R.'s First Bike") Dexter had one ("Dexter Vs. Santa Claws"), EEE had one ("Fa La La La Ed"), and Johnny had one (where he beat up Santa, I forget the name). But then so many episodes are, for whatever reason, considered holiday episodes but they really aren't; some kind of make sense, like the Courage episode "The Nutcracker," as it's a tribute to the Christmas ballet of the same name, then there's the snowball episode of Dexter (snow = Christmas in showbiz), but like the Cow and Chicken episode with Cow's invisible dog? Weasel and Baboon stranded on a dessert island? How exactly are those holiday related?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I've been noticing that a number of Cartoon Network shows have episodes that are considered Christmas/holiday episodes without necessarily being so. Yeah, some did do proper Christmas episode: Weasel had two ("Happy Baboon Holidays," "I.R.'s First Bike") Dexter had one ("Dexter Vs. Santa Claws"), EEE had one ("Fa La La La Ed"), and Johnny had one (where he beat up Santa, I forget the name). But then so many episodes are, for whatever reason, considered holiday episodes but they really aren't; some kind of make sense, like the Courage episode "The Nutcracker," as it's a tribute to the Christmas ballet of the same name, then there's the snowball episode of Dexter (snow = Christmas in showbiz), but like the Cow and Chicken episode with Cow's invisible dog? Weasel and Baboon stranded on a dessert island? How exactly are those holiday related?
You mean Twas the night for JB, and For Weasel I think it was because of gingerbread man.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Yeah. Those DVD releases. They pulled the same stunt with their Halloween releases. Somehow the episode where Cow gets glasses is considered Halloween-ish, but the actual Halloween episode, not so much.