The Old Cartoon Network Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think Johnny Bravo was the first Cartoon Cartoon to get an actual holiday special, and I actually remember CN made a big deal about it, but not because it was a Christmas special, rather because it marked the return of original creator Van Partible - I remember the promos for the special even made a special point to mention that Johnny's returned to Aron City (I guess he lived in a different city in the Gary Hartle-produced seasons).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a blast from the past:

That guy at the 0:44 mark had to have seriously chipped a tooth.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Here's a blast from the past:

That guy at the 0:44 mark had to have seriously chipped a tooth.

Yep, I remember that one. That must've been from about 2000, judging by the characters featured in the video (Eustace is in it, and CTCD premiered in late 1999, while SITBC didn't premiere until a year later).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Does anyone notice that old man screaming along with those fangirls when they spot Baboon?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I wonder if people need guidance i.e Roger Rabbit to know when scream when the toons show up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's another one that shows what bawls CN had:

It's hard to place this one: I don't remember CCF adopting this theme till like summer 2000 or so, yet there's MIKE, LU & OG, which makes this think this would be from very late 1999, very early 2000.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's another one that shows what bawls CN had:

It's hard to place this one: I don't remember CCF adopting this theme till like summer 2000 or so, yet there's MIKE, LU & OG, which makes this think this would be from very late 1999, very early 2000.
I guess Nickelodeon didn't air any new episodes on Friday nights.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... this isn't exactly old Cartoon Network, but I don't know where to put it.

But I'm sure everyone has heard of the "Lakewood Turbo Plaza" (or whatever combination of those words) unsold pilot. Now, here's something interesting. It may not be "good enough" to be a cartoon series somehow, but for some strange reason CN decided to make it a app based game.

I'm...confused. Is this some weird test the waters to see if this show can get enough buzz to Uncle Grandpa itself into manifestation years beyond the fact, or is it just some odd bone they're throwing to fans. I dunno. I just... find it weird.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This shows how much I was into COW AND CHICKEN when it was on, because as a kid, it was the first time I ever noticed off-model animation, I even posted about this on TV Tropes, but there was certain episodes where the animation and character designs differ noticably from other episodes - in fact, the first episode ("Field Trip to Folsom Prison / The Girls Bathroom") is one of them but because it was the first, I suppose that can be forgiven; but other episodes, like "Sumo Cow" and "Yard Sale" almost don't even really look like Dave Feiss's style.

I will say this though, just about all CN shows were really consistent with their styles and animation, though some obviously went through some natural evolution over the years, and C&C was one of them: notice how pastely and "clean" the first season looks compared to, say, Seasons Three and Four, where the colors are darker and bolder, the lining is stronger, and the backgrounds have a textured look to them. EEE is another example, which Danny Antonucci even pointed out; Ed is perhaps the most noticable, if you look at how he used to have smaller eyes, a thicker eyebrow, and a more square-shaped head.

mr3urious

Reaction score
This shows how much I was into COW AND CHICKEN when it was on, because as a kid, it was the first time I ever noticed off-model animation, I even posted about this on TV Tropes, but there was certain episodes where the animation and character designs differ noticably from other episodes - in fact, the first episode ("Field Trip to Folsom Prison / The Girls Bathroom") is one of them but because it was the first, I suppose that can be forgiven; but other episodes, like "Sumo Cow" and "Yard Sale" almost don't even really look like Dave Feiss's style.
John K. loves to stay off-model with his animation as well, as he doesn't like to use model sheets. The only time he was forced to stay on-model was with Fox Kids' The Ripping Friends as it had to be done on a fraction of the budget compared to Ren & Stimpy. So I'm guessing Feiss had to stay on-model and on-budget in the later seasons.