The one thing on the internet I can no longer stand...

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I assure you, this is very obnoxious. Even worse than idiotic racist comments on Youtube videos.

Idiots that type imaginary synopses of imaginary episodes of TV shows to either troll or because they're under the delusion that if they write the title of some fan fictiony garbage, that episode of something will have happened. And inevitably, these will be episodes that air on a completely different network that never would have carried the show ever years after cancellation.

What the heck is this? Some sort of lazy attempt at fan fiction? Too lazy to even write a full bad story where everyone's out of character and coming off as a preschool show that the original concept was never meant to be?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm curious, where have you seen something like this? It sounds like fan-fiction for Twitter-length posts, lol.

Slackbot

Reaction score
For a while someone was posting titles and airdates of fake Fraggle Rock TAS episodes on Wikipedia. No synopses. Some of the ep titles were plausible, and some were pretty funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh... I forgot to finish. Sorry about that.

I see these primarily on Wikipedia pages. Lost Media Wiki for example keeps getting bad cases of this over and over, no matter what the mods do about it.

Yeah, Slackbot gave a pretty good description of what I'm talking about, but they're usually much poorer than that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
They're usually on wikipedia, and half the time I believe them (at least when I was younger), and they're the most annoying things on the web. Honestly, if you're going to make dumb fake episode titles of say a TV show that's been canceled for a decade, and some not even give a synopsis:crazy:! TMS, along with all those other variety shows plus game shows and reality shows showed us that episode titles hardly matter. So, why do some idiots still go around the web making dumb episode titles without bothering to write anything about the episode. Here's the WORSE CASE SCENARIO for imaginary episodes. http://sitting-ducks.wikia.com/wiki/Rumor_for_Sitting_Ducks_new_episodes. Some idiot goes and makes a wikia for a show that's been cancelled for 11 years (though a pretty good one at that) which is fine, BUT when they're dumb enough to ask the creator to make stupid episodes and beyond stupid changes to the characters and the shows, then I think the world has reached insanity.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've never ran into that on Wikipedia before, but it seems annoying. Guess I'm not looking at the right pages, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, why do some idiots still go around the web making dumb episode titles without bothering to write anything about the episode. Here's the WORSE CASE SCENARIO for imaginary episodes. http://sitting-ducks.wikia.com/wiki/Rumor_for_Sitting_Ducks_new_episodes. Some idiot goes and makes a wikia for a show that's been cancelled for 11 years (though a pretty good one at that) which is fine, BUT when they're dumb enough to ask the creator to make stupid episodes and beyond stupid changes to the characters and the shows, then I think the world has reached insanity.
I give that guy credit for at least saying they're fake. Seriously. Lazily writing episode titles for a long cancelled show as some sort of wish fulfillment is even lower than the "Pooh's Adventures of" videos. Even those take the effort of downloading and editing. And they're always somehow made into something preschooly. Ever notice that? They're going to take a show for older kids and make it for preschoolers and air it on PBS. Yeah. Cuz that's happened and that's a thing.

I've never ran into that on Wikipedia before, but it seems annoying. Guess I'm not looking at the right pages, lol.
Well, not official Wikipedia, but the little fanmade ones on specific shows or concepts. Muppet Master posted a stellar example of stupidity. Lost Media wiki gets one every so often so much so they refused to accept articles for a while (effectively turning me off from signing up and doing some articles based on Jay Ward pilots that never sold or were finished). They got one for (get this) a Super Mario movie made by DIC in 2008 or so that was just a Dora the Explorer movie with Mario names attached. Can't even begin to correct that, but we all know Nintendo hates cartoons that aren't Pokemon, so the likelihood of a Mario cartoon is low. Then, recently (which caused me to post this) a bunch of never before seen Angry Beavers episodes, 2 years after it was cancelled popped up on PBS, using titles that were completely inconsistent and sounded like lame stock episodes from a preschool show. Almost if whoever posted it really wished Angry Beavers (a subversive and raucously maniac series, mind you) was Timothy goes to School or something.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Poor Lost Media Wiki. That's a great concept for a website, to me the idea of lost films from the early days of cinema and rare TV shows is fascinating, but that stinks that people are abusing it like that.

dycaite

Reaction score
Lost Media wiki gets one every so often so much so they refused to accept articles for a while (effectively turning me off from signing up and doing some articles based on Jay Ward pilots that never sold or were finished).
I hear you dude. This kinda thing really annoys me too and it takes away from what little time I do have to work on the wiki this year (given my prior study commitments).

I know that the lockdown wasn't a terribly popular move and I can see why that is, but, honestly, I can't see any other way to combat this kinda thing; well, at least not until the wiki is moved to its own, independent host (which will likely happen some time next year) at which point articles will require staff verification before actually being published (hopefully quashing the issue once and for all).

I certainly hope that the lockdown hasn't completely turned you off writing and contributing new articles, as that was not our intention at all; we absolutely appreciate all the articles that are well-written, but, for that short period of time, we decided it best to simply block any and all articles, until the dud ones were fixed up or removed.

-dycaite,
LMW Founder

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know that the lockdown wasn't a terribly popular move and I can see why that is, but, honestly, I can't see any other way to combat this kinda thing; well, at least not until the wiki is moved to its own, independent host (which will likely happen some time next year) at which point articles will require staff verification before actually being published (hopefully quashing the issue once and for all).
I may just be lurking around on that site (I was the one who found the Weird Al preview with the Wolfman Jack cartoon), but I agree that was a wise move. Bad apples ruin the bunch, and cliche ridden Creepypastas and lazy fan fiction pollute a site like that. Those had to be discouraged, by any means necessary. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I'd rather read about things that are truly lost than imaginary episodes of decidedly non-preschool shows in preschool formats. After all, the real stuff is often more interesting. That's the draw, after all.

I certainly hope that the lockdown hasn't completely turned you off writing and contributing new articles, as that was not our intention at all; we absolutely appreciate all the articles that are well-written, but, for that short period of time, we decided it best to simply block any and all articles, until the dud ones were fixed up or removed.
To be honest, two things. I'm too lazy to come up with an account and to dig through my stuff to find the book I need for reference (The Moose that Roared by the way, I highly recommend tracking that down). Plus I don't know how to reference books exactly, and there's so little on the net to go by.

But I will someday and hope it's acceptable.