1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The origins of the Muppet Babies

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by Erine81981, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Ok we've had this discussion about how the Muppet Babies are not related to the grownup Muppets. Well I just remembered about those videos they came out a long time ago in the 80's about Kermit reading books to his Nephew Robin about Kermit and the gang as babies. Now explain to me how that's not suppose to fit in with the Muppets?
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Because it was all a fantasy of Miss Piggy's in TMTM!! You can't make a fantasy a reality. I can fantasize all I want about growing up with Halle Berry and us being together forever, but I can't change my life story to say it happened.

It all originated as a fantasy for Miss Piggy in the carriage ride.

All other things that support MB is plain incorrect.

However, it does make for good entertainment.
  3. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

This is true. However, that brings to mind something. When they were the Muppet Babies, they lived together in a Nursery, looked after by Nanny. When they became the Muppet Kids however, they suddenly all had parents and stuff. What's up with that?

Personally, I think Muppet Kids is more accurate than the Baby versions, though I tend to agree with Fozzie in that none of it is really canon. They were cute though!:)
  4. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

i got one of those videos at the library it's crap
  5. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Ok Looke Fozzie. I know that but u still have those videos out there. How do u make that not understandable. I know Miss Piggy had a dream but it looks like Kermit did to. How is it that Kermit can read books or whatever it is that he does and people don't bring that up about the MB? Its like Ohhhh Miss Piggy had a dream and the MB r just her dream but Kermit reads books to his Nephew and thats ok. Ya'll talk about Miss Piggy's dream but what about Kermits reading books about his friends when babies? I know its not a part of Muppet history but when everyone that talks about MB not being part of the Muppets its like saying Gonzo was never an alien. What do ya'll think about that?
  6. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Dear, dear, the MB is a very contreversal subject isn't it.

In my opinion these are not cannon, htey are just cartoons, BUT they are half worth watching becuase they are funny and sweet and if they didn't have Bean they would be totally worth watching.
  7. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

What !! Take that back. (Just kidding, Beauregard)

Any who, the Muppet Babies also appeared in puppet form in the Muppet Family Christmas.
  8. Beauregard

Yes, but everyone says that was wrong, I don't really care about it, but particually Foz, thinks they shouldn't have Bean there, wait, what did I say?
  9. jediX

jediX Active Member

My question is why are we debating Muppet Babies, of all things? :D
  10. Beauregard

Because they are great, and need to be discussed.
  11. Fozzie Bear

I think it was a mistake on the part of JHC letting that happen, not unlike the accident of the MB appearing in MFC.

There is a second idea about the 'Kermit reading a book version' of the MB and then we fade to the cartoon: When you read a book, you do tend to imagine the locations read about and the characters in the book (or you SHOULD be able to do that). Not unlike when Uncle Remus tells the Little Boy about Br'er Rabbit and all and then he begins to forget he's in a cabin and starts to see Br'ers Rabbit, Fox, Bear, etc. So, in those cases it would be Kermit/Robin's imaginations about a book written about the characters from Piggy's Fantasy.

In this instance, I could accept the MB because they are still a part of someone's fantasy.

As long as they are a part of something dealing with someone's fantasy, I will be able to accept the MB. IE: I've said before that the MB cartoon could be Miss Piggy's fantasies continued and I would accept that. I would accept Muppet Kids as an extension of fantasy. As far as I'm concerned though, the TMS Muppets didn't know one another until they were on their way to Hollywood--although, Kermit says that 'it's sort of approximately how it happened.'

That leaves some room open for additional information.
  12. Beauregard

What is Muppet Kids? I have never heard of this, can someone tell me?
  13. Fozzie Bear

It's a book series about the Muppets in the years before (ack) Muppet Babies and (yay) The Muppet Show. Another non-canon bunch of mush which throws everything all outta whack.

If you consider it like this, though, that it's another set of stories based on an idea from Piggy's Fantasy from TMTM, which Kermit carried on while reading a book to Robin, then it'd work okay because it's a fantasy about a fantasy. I can deal with that.
  14. Beauregard

15. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Here a picture,

[​IMG]
  16. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

I never liked the Muppet Kids. As for the babies, I never accepted them as history. They were just....there. And I was happy with that.:)
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Who said it had to be?

I always say that.

And I like the Baby bean episodes, but what's the point of a baby Bean? He's cute enough already (possibly evedn cuter as an adult!)
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The Muppet Babies are just the glossed over story of Muppet childhood sold to the press. The real story was too shocking and inappropriate to be told. :eek: That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D Just you wait for the E True Hollywood Story. LOL!
  19. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

*giggles* that'd be cute!:) Odd, but cute!:) BTW...I'd like to see a live action Nanny...:)
  20. camillachick

camillachick New Member

I've been reading this thread and another like it. Here's my input on how the muppets met. I always thought that the muppet babies was the real story of how the muppets met and the movie (in which they meet) was just a movie they were all acting in. Like one of them said, "What if we all met this way? Sounds like a good plot for a movie". I mean the muppet babies was treated like something that really happened, while the movies always claimed to be movies. Don't the muppets make comments about the fact that they're in a movie during the movie? Someone help me out here. I mean this opinion may just be because I watched the babies first and saw the movies afterwards, but I bet none of you thought of this explanation, did you?