The Orville Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Has anybody seen Seth MacFarlane's new live-action sci-fi series The Orville yet? Despite being created by Seth MacFarlane, it has a completely different feel than Family Guy and I actually really like seeing him change it up a bit. Rather than a half and hour worth of toilet and body part jokes, Seth actually produced a well made sci-fi series with a continuing plot and almost zero reliance on gags. I was shocked.......but in the good way. I always knew that Seth MacFarlane had a science/sci-fi nerd side, but I never thought I'd see him do something like this. It reminds me of Firefly in a way because of how it will throw in humor occasionally rather than completely taking itself too seriously all the time. The characters have really creative, unique, personalities. The fact that this show has very original characters with a lot of development just feels like Seth is finally starting to take his work to the next level in my opinion. On his other 3 shows (plus the shortlived Bordertown series and 3 theatrical films), it seems like all of the characters are either racial stereotypes being thrown in "for teh lulz" or completely mean spirited, borderline evil characters who only exist so we can laugh at how psychopathic and nasty they are. But this show on the other hand, has more creative characters in it than the majority of things on TV nowadays, let alone Seth MacFarlane. The designs for the aliens are almost endless and some look almost like something that would come out of Jim Henson's Creature Shop. My favorite alien character is probably that orange blob voiced by Norm MacDonald, I think that he/she/it is REALLY funny for some reason (because it's a blob, I'm not going to say the character has a definite gender). But anyway, are there any other fans of The Orville here on this forum? Please discuss the series below.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The average Family Guy viewers
The average Orville viewer

Who says Seth can't appeal to more than one type of person........or only one intelligence level lol jk

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seth MacFarlane always feels like he's on some sort of an ego trip and always wanting to throw out vanity projects for himself it seems anymore.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Seth MacFarlane always feels like he's on some sort of an ego trip and always wanting to throw out vanity projects for himself it seems anymore.
I know it sounds crazy but this one really doesn't have the juvenile, offensive feel of Family Guy though.