The Passion of the Christ

P

Philo and Gunge

The following all from Tough Pigs (except my opinion)

I'm starting a thread about The Passion of the Christ. I didn't have much of a need to at first, but the following article was too much for me to not pass it on here.

Woman Dies Following 'Passion' Screening
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

WICHITA, Kan. — A woman collapsed Wednesday during a screening of "The Passion of the Christ" and later died at a hospital.

The Wichita Eagle identified the woman as Peggy Law Scott, 57. No cause of death was immediately available.

Scott was attending a 9:30 a.m. showing of the movie with some co-workers from Clear Channel Radio when she collapsed about 20 minutes before the end of the movie.

KAKE-TV, which was filming a story on local reactions to the film, reported that Scott collapsed during the film's bloody crucifixion scene.

Two medical professionals who were at the movie tried to revive Scott, said Ken Crockett, a spokesman for Warren Theatres.

Emergency dispatchers said they responded to a report of a woman who wasn't breathing and might be having a seizure.

Scott was taken to the St. Joseph campus of Via Christi Regional Medical Center. Roz Hutchinson, a spokeswoman for the hospital, confirmed the death.

An autopsy will be conducted on Thursday, according to a spokeswoman for Sedgwick County.

Scott was the general sales manager for KRZZ and KKRD radio stations.

As if the controversy surrounding this film couldn't get any hotter (with all the over-hyped anti-Semitic rabble), now this to just further fuel the fire.
My verdict: this film is a film to see. That's my alternate to stating that I enjoyed this film. It's not meant to be enjoyed, it's Mel Gibson and Team's... hm, vision isn't the right word. "Message" isn't either. It's their justification maybe. A sharp blow of reality for Christians everywhere.

I'm not Christian anymore, but being a recovering one, this film was an important test for me. One that I'm pleased to say I passed. Or failed, depending on your point of view. I won't go into the details of this test to save from offending any Christians. But it was a personal one.

I very much wanted to see this film for two reasons: 1) the controversy, and 2) to see Mel's telling of a story that I've been familiar with all my life. This film held nothing new for me factually. However, for the first time in my life, I understood Jesus better than I ever had learning these same lessons whilst growing up. And I felt for him. I felt for him in a way that I wouldn't have predicted eight years ago. Odd that I had to become a borderline atheist/agnostic to do that.

As usual, I'm crummy in trying to articulate the way I feel about a particular subject, so I turn you instead to Roger Ebert's review. It's perfect. And I plan on memorizing it.

I am SOOOO not seeing this! :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think it's an important film and it works well as an evangelical tool but not so well as a movie for the general public, which may have been Mel Gibson's intent. If you're a devout (or even semi-devout) Christian it is a very powerful (albeit violent) film. But it's essentially a realistic film version of a medieval passion play and the film doesn't provide much context for non-Christians. We see what is going on but it's never explains why it is happening. Even the flashbacks to Jesus' life aren't terribly helpful if you're unfamiliar with the gospels.

I don't think the film is necessarily anti-Semitic, but the film is not accurate on either a theological or historical level. It certainly is unflinchingly realistic. One reviewer even called it a "religious snuff film" which is a little insensitive, but reflects the fact that it is extremely violent. This is not a movie for children or weak-stomached adults. Even Gibson agreed that it definitely needed an R rating.

If you're interested in the subject matter but not really one for gore I'd recommend checking out "The Gospel of John" which is a better film in my opinion.

RubberDucky

Reaction score
so exactly how bloody is this film? Although I'm not religious, I'm curious about seeing it due to all the controversy. Problem is that I have a habit of blacking in and out or feeling sick if I see too much blood. Remember that movie "Stigmata"? That one was enough to make me want to leave 15 min in. I suppose if it's enough to send another person into possible seizure state and then death......I should probably just stay home.

P

Philo and Gunge

RubberDucky said:
so exactly how bloody is this film? Although I'm not religious, I'm curious about seeing it due to all the controversy. Problem is that I have a habit of blacking in and out or feeling sick if I see too much blood. Remember that movie "Stigmata"? That one was enough to make me want to leave 15 min in. I suppose if it's enough to send another person into possible seizure state and then death......I should probably just stay home.
According to FilmValues.com it is on a 5 out of five scale

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I still haven't completely decided if I'm going to see the movie or not, but I'm leaning pretty heavily towards "no." I hate violence, and "The Passion" looks like one long two-hour bloodfest. I just don't know if I can handle it. Apparently there are a few short, more pleasant scenes interspersed in flashbacks, but it doesn't sound like enough to keep me from leaving the movie monstrously depressed. I suppose that's a good way to feel during Lent, but I don't know...
Erin

P

Philo and Gunge

Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I still haven't completely decided if I'm going to see the movie or not, but I'm leaning pretty heavily towards "no." I hate violence, and "The Passion" looks like one long two-hour bloodfest. I just don't know if I can handle it. Apparently there are a few short, more pleasant scenes interspersed in flashbacks, but it doesn't sound like enough to keep me from leaving the movie monstrously depressed. I suppose that's a good way to feel during Lent, but I don't know...
Erin
I'm not seeing it. I'm shocked that Newmarket decided to release it on Ash Wendsday, I mean, isn't that a little too religous?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think they really wanted to tap the religious market. And it certainly worked. I think it's still sold out here for a couple more days, mostly by church groups. The timing was very appropriate. I'm not surprised they released it that day.
Erin

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I saw my brother (who's in the process of becoming Catholic) yesterday and he said he was still recovering from seeing it. It takes a lot for a movie to affect him.

truth66

Reaction score
I saw the movie Saturday morning and found myself moved to tears off and on the entire 2 hours. Tears of sorrow because I know in my heart that I helped put Christ on that cross. Tears of joy because I know that I am forgiven and that I serve a risen and living Christ. I agree with all of you that the violence was graphic and excessive...but that was the whole point! Keep in mind the entire movie along with the violence sequences are Mel Gibson's divine vision given to Him by the Holy Spirit. What really happened to Jesus 2 thousand years ago I am absolutely certain was indescribably worse. The truth is that we will never know how much it cost to see our sin upon that cross. The Bible accounts give us a small glimpse, but I know Jesus' love for sinners was so great that our feeble minds can't even come close to comprehending that kind of love. "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." - John 15:13. When you watch the movie, the Roman soldiers that whipped and beat Jesus were also mocking and ridiculing Him at the same time. Jesus on the other hand was praying to the Father to forgive them for they did not know what they were doing. I mean He considers filthy, rotten, stinking sinners His friends and He prayed for all those on that day that were in ignorance and I am positive the Holy Spirit is interceding in the lives millions today. I can't even begin to fathom that kind of love! All I can do is accept His love and forgiveness and so can anyone else regardless of race, religion or whatever. I encourage all who haven't yet seen the movie or who have reservations about it, to pray hard and go see it with an open heart. I promise that if you open your heart to Jesus, you will not be disappointed and He will radically change your life forever.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's no secret that I am no big fan of organized religion although I do appreciate the spiritual and uplifting qualities of religion. The main complaint people appear to have about this film has more to do with the New Testament text than with the film. I can see both sides of the argument, but it appears that the film's critics are misplacing their judgment.

That said, I will see the film myself and make my own judgment. I can't stand hearing bad press from people who have not even seen the film. I'm glad there's a different take on this subject.

Now, much of the criticism I have heard in the press is about Gibson trusting his father's statement that the holocaust never happened saying that, "He never lied to me." It has nothing to do with the motion picture but does paint a picture of insanity and gross disrespect for a people who have historically suffered so much. If there is anything more horrific than the holocaust it's pretending it didn't occur. We also know that Mel has no love for other minorities including the gay community. However you don’t have to appreciate an artist’s personal life or politics to enjoy their work. I will still enjoy the works of Woody Allen, Roman Polanski and Charlton Heston although I happen to disagree with their politics or personal choices. It's called maturity and seeing the bigger picture. :attitude: