1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

The Phantom Tollbooth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JaniceFerSure, Apr 11, 2004.

1. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Well-Known Member

Has anyone at MC ever seen the movie,or read the book The Phantom Tollboth(starring The Munster's Butch Patrick,illustrated by Chuck Jones) (book by:Norton Juster)?

Milo is a boy who is bored with life. One day he comes home(from school),and starts to talk to one of his friends on the phone,when a toll booth suddenly appears in his room. Having nothing better to do, he gets in his toy car and drives through - only to emerge in a world full of adventure(and as a cartoon)!There are such characters as(here is the cast listing):

Mel Blanc .... Officer Short Shrift/The Word Speller/The Dodecahedron/The Demon of Insincerity (voice)
    Daws Butler .... Whether Man (voice)
    Candy Candido .... Awful DYNN (voice)
    Hans Conried .... King Azaz/The Mathematician (voice)
    June Foray .... Ralph//Reason (voice)
    Patti Gilbert .... Princess of Pure Reason/Princess of Sweet Rhyme (voice)
    Shepard Menken .... Tick Tock the Watch Dog (voice) (as Shep Menken)
    Cliff Norton .... Spelling Bee/Senses Taker (voice)
    Larry Thor .... Kakofonous A. Dischord (voice)
    Les Tremayne .... Humbug (voice)

Such is a song called Nothing to do in the Doldrums.Rhyme & Reason.Awful Dynn's song.

This movie not only taught about words,sounds,numbers,music,(boredom)but also how to have fun,when there is nothing else to do. :D

2. Jennifer12

Jennifer12 Well-Known Member

I read the book in a Children's Lit course and I loved it! The word play had me laughing so hard tears were falling from my eyes. I couldn't believe I'd never found it when I was a kid.

I didn't know there was a movie. I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

Jen

3. Klonoa

Klonoa Well-Known Member

Read the book and saw the movie...way back in high school so long ago...

--Klonoa

4. Whatever

Whatever Well-Known Member

I loved that book! Yaaaayyy! :)
    It reminds me of "The Last of the Really Great WHANGDOODLES" by Julie Edwards aka Julie Andrews! :flirt:

5. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I loved that book, too! Cookie Monster would be right at home at the part where Milo and Tock eat the alphabet letters!

Convincing John

6. Doogied

Doogied Well-Known Member

Now that's a good book.....

I originally saw that movie when I was 5 years old....(1982!!) I have since read the book many many times and I read with all the little people in my life (cousins, nieces and such....) When we are done reading it we then watch the movie.....It encourages children to "think outside the box" because the entire thing is a play on words. It still blows me away when I think about how creative the author was.....now if you will excuse me, the Horrible Dynne has come to dine and I must be off!

7. cherrypotion27

cherrypotion27 Well-Known Member

I've both read the book and seen the animated movie (I love the movie, and I'm a huge fan of the Chuck Jones/Les Tremayne version of The Humbug).

8. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

*Gasp! How is it I never knew of this thread waaaaay back when it was first started? And it was started by one of my originalMC classic forum friends no less. Yes, I remember the animated movie version with fondness, glad I saw it when I still had good enough sight. Haven't seen it since owing to Cartoon Network airing it in Spanish as part of their language identity crisis here on my station.

This reminds me of another great animated movie/book, but a thread of its own would be better to muffining this.
    Take care JFS. *Huge hugs to you Lady D.

9. anytimepally

anytimepally Well-Known Member

I read the book in 2004 while visiting a friend in Rochester, NY.. she'd been trying to get me to read it for years, and I'm glad I did.. it was fantastic!

10. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

I too have read this book, and I loved it. haven't seen the movie though, but if I did, I don't think i'd like it as much as the book, but who knows. I might have to search for that book at a Borders one day.

11. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I love that movie a lot! :) I used to see it all the time on the Disney Channel during the 80's. Also June Foray voiced the Which who was the Whether Man's brother. And I could immediately recognize the voice of Mel Blanc as the voice of Officer Short Shrift as well as the Demon of Insincerity who sounded a lot like Yosemite Sam. As well as King Azaz's tiniest lacky who only says quick words like, "Hi!" "Chow!" or "Soup's on!"

And really liked the book a lot. The book features more characters and stories than in the movie.

12. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Well-Known Member

Oh man, I had to read that in 4th grade ( Coincidentally, the same teacher got me into Jim Henson). I had to watch the movie; the producer must of had some serious stuff. Can't remember that much, execpt it was a trippy cartoon somewhat like the book

13. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I read this book in one of our big literature books that we had to lug along with us to school. It was in "Play" form. I loved it.

14. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

This is sort of an old thread but I just watched the movie version of Phantom Tollbooth on TCM. I saw it once a long time ago (on the Disney Channel I think), and found it pretty strange, lol. Seeing it now though, it's got such a wonderful message. We too easily give into boredom or wasting time, when we could be out living our lives.

It's also very good for kids to start thinking about words and how they can be played with and molded and lead to better understanding of language.

15. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Well-Known Member

We had it in play form in our reading textbook in 6th grade. Sadly, we didn't read it in class, and I never got the chance to read through it during any spare time. :sympathy: Maybe next week I'll check out the book at the library.